Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 23 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 09:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Humble (low cost) video upgrade? : Dell Optiplex 780

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Apr 23, 2015 09:44 |  #1

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 mini-tower that I bought used and did a little upgrading to. I added a little RAM to give it 12gb and added a 1TB hard drive. The cpu is a Core 2 Duo 3ghz. The video card is a Radeon HD 3400 card (512k memory). It appears that a 1GB HD7750 video card will work without having to upgrade the PSU (current one is 305w). These video cards can be picked up fairly inexpensively on the used market nowadays, but is the upgrade worth it? Would I notice an improvement in speed/performance? I'm only interested in doing this if it will help me in image processing where sometimes the system runs slower than I wish it to. Currently I'm running DPP, CS2, and trying to learn a little about LR5 and processing images from a 6D.

I am not concerned with gaming.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Apr 23, 2015 09:49 |  #2

Lightroom/CS2/DPP don't use the graphics card, so you aren't going to see any speed boosts there for the money. Bumping the ram will help, and adding an SSD as your scratch drive will help some, as well. Better off putting the money towards an SSD or adding it to your savings for when you are ready to upgrade the machine.

Support the forums - donate here

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Apr 23, 2015 11:12 as a reply to Qlayer2's post |  #3

Thanks, Qlayer2. In that case, I'll save my coins for now. It sounds like the SSD would make the biggest difference, rather than adding more RAM....???

Ed

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Feb 2008
I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.
Apr 23, 2015 11:25 |  #4

With 12 Gb of RAM already, adding extra RAM is unlikely to help. An SSD will make minimal difference in processing, but your programs will load faster. Your only hope for significant improvement is if your motherboard will take a faster CPU than the one you have now. If it won't, I would start saving up for a completely new system

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.comexternal link (remove the dashes)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Apr 23, 2015 11:47 as a reply to Bearmann's post |  #5

Thanks, Barry. I guess I'll hold off on tweaking this old system...I'm already in a holding pattern from a bad case of GAS, which I'm trying to deal with. :) The computer works, not to shabbily, but still could be faster when saving files. Seems converting and saving (in DPP) RAW files to jpegs takes the longest time while saving edited jpegs in CS2 is much faster. The larger size of the RAW file I guess is a more cpu intensive operation? I haven't really worked with LR5 much to tell how fast things are (or are not).

Ed

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Apr 23, 2015 12:14 |  #6

That's correct- saving up for buying or building a new system will be better than the small gains you will get upgrading smaller items. The processor is what bears the brunt of the work when processing images.

The only advantage to upgrading things like an SSD or video card is they will most likely be compatible with a new system when you decide to upgrade.

Support this site - donate here

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Mar 2008
California
Apr 23, 2015 12:52 |  #7

Qlayer2 wrote in post #17529468external link
The only advantage to upgrading things like an SSD or video card is they will most likely be compatible with a new system when you decide to upgrade.

As stated earlier you don't need a video card because it does not help with anything but if you need the power now then going the SSD route now and use it to hold you off for a bit and then you can move it over to your new system if you decide to build or go prebuilt. If you can add an SSD you can build your own system though.

That will at least settle your GAS problem for a short term or longer if it makes that big of a difference which will mean newer toys would of hit the shelves or last gen stuff will be discounted a bit more.

Nothing wrong with waiting as long as it isn't holding you back from doing the things you need to do, which is what it sounds like in your scenario.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Apr 24, 2015 07:05 |  #8

It will be a while before I'll be upgrading the computer to a new/different one so I'll just manage with what I'm working with. As I mentioned earlier, it does what I need it to but bottlenecks when saving converting and saving RAW files to jpegs. Nothing that I can't live with, though.

I'm not sure what the following "means" but I was looking at the system requirements for LR6 and one requirement is "OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10-capable graphics card for GPU related functionality". Is this stating that LR6 uses the video card, or is it just a generic..."ya gotta have a video card" type of statement?

It is sounding like LR6 has several tweaks to it, but not sure I'm up to upgrading LR5, yet, being as I'm far from figuring it out. :oops:

But, back to the original question of upgrading the comptuer...I'll wipe that off the chalkboard for now. :)

Thanks again for the help and for keeping me from spending money basically for no gain!
Ed

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Apr 24, 2015 10:03 |  #9

The new version of lightroom 6 and lightroom CC does make use of the processor on the video card to help speed up the develop module.

Info here:

https://helpx.adobe.co​m ...kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.htmlexternal link

Support this site - donate here

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Feb 2008
I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Bearmann. 3 edits done in total.
Apr 24, 2015 15:01 |  #10

If you upgrade to Lightroom 6, I think you may benefit from a video card upgrade.

Here are some tests of Lightroom 6:

http://www.tested.com ...adobe-lightroom-6-review/external link

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=oXaPk9B-Ft4external link

Your video card has OpenGL 2.0 or 3.2 as far as I can tell, but at any rate, not OpenGL 3.3 which is what Lightroom 6 needs for video acceleration. The HD 7750 has OpenGL 4.2 and 1 GB VRAM. From what I understand, you don't gain anything by going above the video card minimum requirements for Lightroom 6, so this card would be perfect. It's probably worth a try, if you don't mind upgrading to Lightroom 6.

By the way, the Radeon 7750 1GB tested 121 watts under load and your PSU is rated as 65 watts-again perfect for your use:

http://www.bit-tech.net ...deon-hd-7750-1gb-review/7external link

Addendum:

WHOOPS! I found a fly in the ointment! You also need Windows 7 for Lightroom 6/CC. Here are the requirements for Lightroom 6/CC:

https://helpx.adobe.co​m .../system-requirements.htmlexternal link

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.comexternal link (remove the dashes)

sponsored links

1,553 views & 0 likes for this thread
Humble (low cost) video upgrade? : Dell Optiplex 780
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.