Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 26 Apr 2015 (Sunday) 18:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1st attempt at Senior Pics

rhuel
Joined Aug 2009
Charles Town, WV
Apr 26, 2015 18:37 |  #1

I shot my daughter's senior pics last week. We were pretty happy with the results.

I don't do any work for hire and won't do any more Senior Pics till my other 2 daughters are ready.

The shadow on the one side of her face in the 1st one bugged me, but she liked it, so I left it alone and didn't try to "edit it away".

Thoughts/Comments?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

10D, 40D, 7D Mk II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, 2x Extender, 17-40 f/4L, 85 f/1.8, 18-55 IS, 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, 10-18 STM, SB-24, YN-565EX

sponsored links
wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by wallstreetoneil.
Apr 26, 2015 18:59 |  #2

Two comments for next time:

- underarms, even on model thin beauties like your daughter, are not the most attractive body part and should generally be avoided unless it is a sports shoot where it makes sense
- most women would die for wrinkle free skin like your young daughter - with that in mind, take a look at her left eye in picture #2 - the placement of her left hand on her left cheek has created the 'bag' you see under her left eye - look at the first picture to compare - thus, when models use their hands to frame their face, they do so by bringing their hand up to the face but never squishing their face - even when done lighter like your daughter is doing you can see what happens

Your colors are good and the lighting on her face in #2 is very good. But as a learning point for editing - take a look at the brightness of her right shin, and left forearm in #2 compared to her face - they are as bright or brighter - and draw the eye from her face.

Keep it up - and great job for your first time.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

bornonbord
37 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Apr 27, 2015 22:27 |  #3

Agreed with the under arm comment. It's a wierd thing because some models get away with it but in general it's considered a no-no

rhuel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2009
Charles Town, WV
Apr 28, 2015 14:27 |  #4

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely things to consider next time.

There were a lot more, maybe I can share a few for some more feedback. feelings will not be hurt :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

10D, 40D, 7D Mk II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, 2x Extender, 17-40 f/4L, 85 f/1.8, 18-55 IS, 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, 10-18 STM, SB-24, YN-565EX

jmarsz
Joined Jul 2006
Denver, CO, USA
Apr 28, 2015 14:38 as a reply to rhuel's post |  #5

For me, the pole in the first recently photo is a bit of a distraction. The second photo is really good. :)

Websiteexternal link
Facebookexternal link
http://www.indianpeaks​photography.com/external link

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Apr 28, 2015 16:03 |  #6

Things to consider while you are looking at your picture #3 & #4
- bring closer to the camera what you want to emphasize - push back what you want to de-emphasize
- curves define the female form, chest and shoulders define the male form
- the brightest part of the image is going to grab your attention
- soft 'ballet hands' as Sue Bryce would say is what you are looking for - straight hard fingers are not as attractive
- underarms are 'generally' a no-no
- things behind you that stick out of your body are distracting
- don't crop someone at their ankles or their wrists
- no matter how thin and perfect a body part is, if you squish it, it can look unattractive

Picture #3
- she has straight fingers pointing at us
- her bottom part of her right hamstring is being squished and we are staring right at it
- her right calf is being pressed on by the bench
- her right ankle is cropped off
- her lean back position, with her hair down one side and her right arm straight down the other side, is removing any shape from her upper body (compare it to your 1st and 4th images)
- there is no space, no matter how small, between her left left leg sitting on top and with full weight on her right leg - a model would do this pose but she would be slightly holding her leg up (it would not be comfortable) to create long thin legs with natural curves to them (as oppose to sitting how we all naturally sit in a comfortable manner - beauty is often not comfortable

So, imagine a similar pose except
- she is arching her lower back to create space between the bench and her back - introducing shape to her upper body
- she is sitting far less comfortably but there is space between her legs, her right hamstring is not being squished and we can see both her feet
- her left hand and arm are draped softly over the bench and not pointing at us
- she has her right hand lightly resting on her leg so it doesn't look like her arm has been chopped off

Picture #4
- look how bright the underside of her right arm is - it is drawing the eyes away from looking at her face
- if she wasn't leaning back so much, forcing her arm straight with tension, we likely wouldn't see her arm pit and the image would be more feminine as her arm would have a bend in it and be softer
- her upper body has shape which is great and the space between her left arm and upper body adds to this

So, imagine almost the same pose except
- instead of holding her weight up with her hidden right hand, she has the hand softly, with slightly bent arm touching the pole with soft fingers
- this softer arm position would rotate the whiter parts of the arm downwards and would hide her arm pit
- if she relaxed her smile from 100% smiling to 85% it would soften her face just enough to give the image a more glamorous fashion look
- there is nothing wrong with an athletic strong muscular image with all teeth showing etc - it is just a different look - and your daughter would look great doing it

Anytime you see a couch / chair, you most often get a better picture if the person sits at the front edge of it. If they are going to be sitting back as any one of us would be if we were watching tv, then you have to watch out for double chins, protruding stomachs, the bottoms of feet facing the camera, etc. A women wearing a wedding dress can easily do this pose as her dress is covering most of her lower body, she generally is wearing fantastic shoes, she has her curves on display and very careful attention is taken to make her look feminine.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

GlimmerMan
Goldmember
1,390 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Houston, TX USA
Apr 28, 2015 18:56 as a reply to wallstreetoneil's post |  #7

^^^ Awesome analysis, dude. Thanks for sharing that critique, but even more, sharing the how-to improvement. That's a lot of work you put into the post, and while I'm not the OP, I really appreciate it.

T1i // 24-105L // Nifty Fifty // 10-22

rhuel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2009
Charles Town, WV
Apr 29, 2015 15:26 as a reply to wallstreetoneil's post |  #8

+1 GlimmerMan.

Thanks for the thorough critique. These are all reasons I don't shoot for hire. Just a Dad With A Camera. I shall show my wife this thread to help her understand the difference between what she thinks is great work and what professional photographers look at/for when composing, positioning, etc.

CanongLass
Joined Aug 2012
SoCal
Apr 29, 2015 15:46 as a reply to wallstreetoneil's post |  #9

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide this useful critique. Your analysis and explanation for improvements are valuable.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Apr 29, 2015 15:55 |  #10

rhuel wrote in post #17537521external link
+1 GlimmerMan.

Thanks for the thorough critique. These are all reasons I don't shoot for hire. Just a Dad With A Camera. I shall show my wife this thread to help her understand the difference between what she thinks is great work and what professional photographers look at/for when composing, positioning, etc.

GlimmerMan,

It isn't just your wife - it is also the model (in this case your daughter).
You will be amazed how much better you will be the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time you do it - do not give up.
Just because someone is naturally beautiful (in this case your daughter) does not imply that they remotely understand how to pose - and why should they. The biggest difference between photography and the real world (lets say your daughter trying to look good on a date), is that photography takes a 3 dimensional world and forces it into 2 and when it does, lots of things that would never occur to you in our everyday lives suddenly become obvious - i.e. your daughter in this situation wasn't thinking about her right hamstring, the left arm, hand and fingers being straight and pointing at the camera, her chopped off right arm, her armpits not being her most attractive feature, the fact that her legs would 'look' more attractive if she sat in an uncomfortable manner, the fact that her torso would some how change its apparent shape by sitting comfortably, etc, etc. That said, all it takes is someone to point these things out, watch a few videos on posing (I would suggest Sue Bryce and Jerry Ghionis) and then with a little bit of practice all the little dos and don't will be 2nd nature.

Don't stop taking pictures of your daughter - ask her if you can both give it another try and then post them up. You learn by doing.

DonJuan88
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2015
May 25, 2015 22:23 as a reply to rhuel's post |  #11

rhuel wrote in post #17533580external link
I shot my daughter's senior pics last week. We were pretty happy with the results.

I don't do any work for hire and won't do any more Senior Pics till my other 2 daughters are ready.

The shadow on the one side of her face in the 1st one bugged me, but she liked it, so I left it alone and didn't try to "edit it away".

Thoughts/Comments?

You have an amazing eye - catch perfect shots and I'm glad to see your page and gallery. You have a beautiful daughter and i guess its great for a photographer ( because you have a beauty infant of you always and you can improve your photography well .. Im sure she makes you feel to take much more photos )

Great shots and thanks for sharing ..

Joseph

ranmasu
Joined Jul 2009
Los Angeles, California
May 26, 2015 10:24 |  #12

Wow, I really don't see anything wrong with any of these pics. They all look great to me even the underarm pic. Didn't know you weren't supposed to shoot a model exposing her underarms. I guess I have a lot to learn.

Randy

rhuel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2009
Charles Town, WV
Sep 24, 2017 14:14 |  #13

Reviving an oldie...

Re-reading this for a refresher before shooting my middle daughter's Sr. Pics soon...maybe not until Spring, but always a good refresher thread for me.

I'll have her and my wife (who will be assisting) read through it, too, before the shoot.

Thanks again!

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Sep 25, 2017 08:10 |  #14

You have a lovely daughter and you did well with these.

Things to watch for...

1. Light on the face, make sure her face is properly lit, making it as bright as any other area of her skin. You can always add a slight vignette to de-emphasize the background.
2. Brighten the eyes. Many of the shots her eyes are a bit to dark.
3. When squinting you may consider lessening the created bags under the eyes in post
4. Angles, body one direction, head in the opposite (not to exaggerated) to define emphasis
5. Use body shape to your advantage.

When I shot seniors and I knew the family well enough I'd tell the girls to act like they're trying to get a boys attention...flirty. It adds a little drama to the image. Nothing raunchy, but a hey look at me pose.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

sponsored links

3,238 views & 12 likes for this thread
1st attempt at Senior Pics
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.