Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 27 Apr 2015 (Monday) 07:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I'm always flirting with Pentax...

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX.
Apr 27, 2015 07:03 |  #1

Heya,

I have an affliction. I'm always flirting with Pentax. The only reason I haven't jumped to Pentax yet, or maybe never will, is because of the support. I don't need a vast array of lenses. They have the lenses I would want. I don't care about not having full frame (yet), as I would use APS-C anyways because my flirtation with Pentax is mostly for my wildlife and adventuring where I really have been wanting to get a more water resistant setup.

Why Pentax? Because a K5 IIs with a DA 300 F4 would only be $1500 and be as water resistant as any Canon 1D series and top shelf L from Canon. That field of view (480mm full frame equiv on 35mm format) would be enough for me when boating in the water which is why I'm always wanting this kind of setup. F4 is pleasantly fast.

I have a 1D2, but for me to have a fully resistant setup, my lens would have to be too, and right now, they're not. Not all L's are resistant to water, which is annoying. I like my 1D2 and 200 F2.8L, but that L lens is not water resistant. Only a few of the teleprimes that are L's are water resistant and cost quite a bit more (the typical 400 F5.6L prime is not water resistant). I think the only affordable 300mm and 400mm are the DO's and F2.8's. The F4's don't seem to be water resistant. So it's rather unaffordable for me to bother with these lenses since the whole allure is to have something that can take a splash. And that's what leads me to flirting with Pentax for cost. If I stayed with Canon for this particular setup, I'd go to a 1D3 or 1D4 for sure and get a 400 F4 DO II probably as it's water resistant, light and fast for what it is. Again, I do this from boats, like kayaks and skiffs out on the Gulf. But now we're talking about an easy $6k setup. Not worth it for me as a hobbyist. The lenses that I could get into would be like the Canon 300 F4L or Canon 400 F5.6L, but neither are sealed. Nor is the 400mm zoom. They cost the same too, so they would be affordable for me, but no seal makes it pointless for what I'm doing. Third party stuff, like Tamron & Sigma lack this too, so there's just no setup that is affordable with a fast teleprime other than Pentax it seems with top notch weather sealing.

So I go back to Pentax flirting, where I can get a water resistant APS-C with a decent resolution, decent ISO (I don't need more than 1600 for Florida sunny days), and a fast prime that has some reach (300 F4 is enough for my purposes on water on APS-C). I am used to 600mm on APS-C and APS-H right now, but I get a lot closer in my kayak and boats, so I find I often am coming back from 600mm to 300/400mm, so I know I could get away with that, and afford faster sharper primes at F4, and get more isolation too.

And even alternatively, there's the inexpensive 300mm all weather zooms from Pentax that are only a few hundred bucks. I keep flirting with this too.

I'm not thinking of totally swapping to Pentax. I'm just thinking of adding Pentax to my existing Canon setup, specifically for my water wildlife and potential weather photography, as I'd love to be able to set up in a storm and not worry so much about moisture, with a water sealed Pentax & all weather DA/Star/AW/WR lens that is way less costly than a Canon version and doesn't require a filter to complete the seal.

Suggestions? Is there a decent fast system that is water resistant that is affordable? I've yet to find something with the sealing without requiring third party enclosures, and none of those have the option for big telephoto lenses, beyond Pentax.

Is there a system that will compare in cost, weather sealing and overall speed/quality compared to a K5-IIs and DA 300 F4 at $1500?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by ksbal. 3 edits done in total.
Apr 27, 2015 10:35 |  #2

I'm not sure on the lens side, but my understanding is the 7D mark II is about as good a weather sealed camera as he's seen. Not my speculation but from Rodger at LensRentals.com

http://www.lensrentals​.com ...1/cracking-open-the-7d-iiexternal link

here is one list of canon lenses someone considered weather sealed

http://canon5dtips.com ...of-weather-sealed-lenses/external link

cost wise, nope, I don't think there is any other system that can do what you want for the $1500 mark.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Apr 27, 2015 10:50 |  #3

ksbal wrote in post #17534354external link
I'm not sure on the lens side, but my understanding is the 7D mark II is about as good a weather sealed camera as he's seen. Not my speculation but from Rodger at LensRentals.com

http://www.lensrentals​.com ...1/cracking-open-the-7d-iiexternal link

here is one list of canon lenses someone considered weather sealed

http://canon5dtips.com ...of-weather-sealed-lenses/external link

cost wise, nope, I don't think there is any other system that can do what you want for the $1500 mark.

Heya,

I've read on the sealing of the 7D2 and even original 7D, as well as of course the 1D series. I've yet to see someone take a garden hose to the 7D/7D2 and it be a common "test" compared to the 1D series and Pentax series which can take garden hoses like a champ. At $1500, I'd rather have a 1D series (I have a 1D2 already), so I'd rather push more for a 1DIV at that point, if spending that much as I'd rather have it over the 7D2 anyways most likely as the purpose of this setup is to take on the elements (kayaking, boating, it will get dirty and see water).

Yea, the Canon lens list is rather disappointing. They seem to only put their best weather sealing into their extreme costing big whites, and most of their newer shorter L's which are pointless for what I'm looking to do. And I just can't be bothered with a $6k~10k lens just for weather sealing. Hence why I flirt with Pentax here...

I was hoping I was missing something, like a 300mm~400mm Canon that had rubber seals and sealing with only a filter being the missing link in the $1k area, but seems it just doesn't exist. Something I could pair with my 1D2 and be done for $1k. Even a sealed 200mm would be fine, but I have that, and the 200 F2.8L prime is not sealed at all, so pretty disappointing.

I currently use my 1D2 + EF 200F2.8L prime with and without TC. No weather sealing since the lens isn't sealed.

I can't believe the 400 F5.6L prime (which is what I'd go for) isn't sealed. What a shame.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by rgs.
Apr 27, 2015 11:21 |  #4

Realizing that it is now really Ricoh, I have a long term emotional connection to Pentax. I don't have any Pentax cameras now but my first SLR was a Pentax MX - I had several of them and then moved to the Pentax LX. The LX was a superb but under appreciated pro 35mm body in an era dominated by the Nikon F3 and the Canon F1. It was solidly built and electronically advanced for the time - it had (I think) the first meter cell that metered off the film plane even during exposure. Using the Pentax LX was a dream but it was still 35mm. 35mm's grain and IQ problems because of it's small size began to be more annoying for me so, after toying with old Crown Graphics, I moved on to the Pentax 67 which became my primary camera for 20 years until my last one went as a trade for my 50D about 5 years ago. It had, sadly, been sitting mostly idle for a few years and was rapidly losing value but seeing it go was difficult for me.

All my Pentax gear was well made, reliable and easy to use. The LX and the 67 were tanks and just never failed. The lenses were always every bit as good as Nikon and Canon. Pentax never seemed to get the kind of attention it deserved. and they struggled to keep up through the early AF/computer camera era. They even built the first commercially available AF camera, the Pentax ME-F which had a lens with a large bulge on the side that looked like a tumor with the AF motor in it. The ME-F was slow and clunky - you could focus yourself faster - and was more of a curiosity than a real serious camera but it was the first.

Forgive me for reminiscing. I have fond memories of my Pentax cameras.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

SamFrench
825 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Pacific Northwest
Apr 27, 2015 11:44 |  #5

I've been looking at the Pentax gear for specialized project use. I too have been an owner in the past of many of their film based cameras and I have some fond memories. The LX, 645 and 67 were all outstanding.

The fact that Pentax has embraced IBIS and weather sealing in many of their current digital and lens products is indeed a great reason to consider them - should your needs dictate.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Apr 27, 2015 12:25 |  #6

Heya,

I have an old Pentax film camera. And lots of old Pentax glass that I still use and use adapted to EOS on my 5D, etc.

It is a shame that Pentax didn't keep up with the market through the AF years and into today. But instead of offering a lot of the things Canon/Nikon/Sony are doing, Pentax does something they do not do, and that's offer more robust weather sealed cameras & lenses at affordable costs, instead of having to go top of the line on Canon/Sony to achieve that. Same with lenses. I think there's a lot of attraction there for people who are looking for something to take into the adventure and not worry about it, and without having to buy a very expensive setup. Plus no AA filter on the K5-IIs. That's my other main attraction to this camera.

Maybe I'll rent a K5-IIs and a 55-300 HD WR. I basically need to know if the K5IIs's autofocus can keep up with a flying medium sized bird in flight from a kayak, the way I use my 1D2 now. I'm just not sure if the AF system will keep up, and I'm not sure if the lens will AF fast enough to keep up even if the camera is capable. That's where the DA 300 F4 lens comes in, a prime, being fast and quiet, but expensive. Still flirting with it...

Very best,

cali92rs
179 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Long Beach, CA
Apr 29, 2015 15:03 |  #7

I was with Pentax for a while.
You can picked up a used K-3 for pretty cheap, which i have heard has MUCH better AF than the K-5. I had the K-5 and K-5iis and while the IQ of both was awesome, the AF was a real downer.

Pentax is releasing both a 70-200mm and a 150-450mm. Both are weather sealed.
But both are pricey. For example, the 150-450mm is available at B&H for about $2500USD. As a comparison, the Canon 100-400mm Mk2 is $2200.

6D, 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-105mm f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, 135mm f2L, Tamron 70-300mm VC

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Apr 30, 2015 22:52 |  #8

cali92rs wrote in post #17537489external link
I was with Pentax for a while.
You can picked up a used K-3 for pretty cheap, which i have heard has MUCH better AF than the K-5. I had the K-5 and K-5iis and while the IQ of both was awesome, the AF was a real downer.

Pentax is releasing both a 70-200mm and a 150-450mm. Both are weather sealed.
But both are pricey. For example, the 150-450mm is available at B&H for about $2500USD. As a comparison, the Canon 100-400mm Mk2 is $2200.

Interesting and good to know, I certainly don't want a Pentax that is a slouch on AF as the point would be to be in a kayak/boat taking on water, but still able to focus on wildlife/birds around me. Might have to rent to know for sure.

Very best,

Mike-P
Joined Oct 2009
New Milton Hampshire UK
May 14, 2015 16:01 |  #9

I use a Pentax K-5IIs for the majority of my photography and a 7D for other stuff (mainly macro with the MP-E65mm). I had the K-3 for a few months but sold it due to the 24MP sensor being a little noisier and the DR not being as good as the K-5IIs (but still a lot better than both the 7D and 7DII).

The DA* 300mm is superb and pairs up nicely with the 1.4x converter and while it's true the AF is not the quickest it's more than usable in most situations.

K-5II, DA* 300mm and 1.4x, cropped and handheld. Kept up with this ok.

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5582/15105093545_5d89b866c0_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8265/15162619563_b93db9c8cf_b.jpg

Canon 7D, Pentax K-1, Pentax K-3II, Panasonic LX5.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
May 14, 2015 23:13 |  #10

Interesting, thanks Mike!

I'm curious, how would you describe the AF of the K5IIs compared to the 7D, in terms of aggressive focus locking and tracking (servo) for tracking things like a bird in flight, or complex movement stuff, like when you're moving and the subject is moving?

Very best,

speedync
Goldmember
Joined May 2011
Geelong, Australia
May 14, 2015 23:37 |  #11

I've been eyeing off the KS2. About the same size as an SL1/100D but weathersealed, dual control wheels & I'm pretty sure it has the new fast AF of the K3. 20 MP, which for me personally is the sweet spot in size. Really really tempted to jump, but sheer laziness in selling off a bit of my Canon stuff has stopped me. And the brilliance of the EFM 11-22. And the 55-250 STM. But that's another story :)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
May 15, 2015 05:35 |  #12

I got into an affair with Pentax back in Nov '14... but it resulted in a camera bigger than what I had before. :mrgreen:

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41183616/pentax645size.jpg

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

raptor3x
Joined Aug 2011
Rutland, VT
May 15, 2015 08:12 |  #13

MalVeauX wrote in post #17534374external link
I was hoping I was missing something, like a 300mm~400mm Canon that had rubber seals and sealing with only a filter being the missing link in the $1k area, but seems it just doesn't exist. Something I could pair with my 1D2 and be done for $1k. Even a sealed 200mm would be fine, but I have that, and the 200 F2.8L prime is not sealed at all, so pretty disappointing.

What about the 70-300L?

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1, E-M1ii Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, Z 150 2.0, µ.Z 300 4.0

Mike-P
Joined Oct 2009
New Milton Hampshire UK
May 15, 2015 13:28 |  #14

MalVeauX wrote in post #17556939external link
Interesting, thanks Mike!

I'm curious, how would you describe the AF of the K5IIs compared to the 7D, in terms of aggressive focus locking and tracking (servo) for tracking things like a bird in flight, or complex movement stuff, like when you're moving and the subject is moving?

Very best,

AF tracking is certainly a weak spot where Pentax is concerned and to be honest even the K-3 was no match for the 7D. I would class Pentax as more of a landscape photographers camera what with the excellent build, weather sealing, dynamic range and high ISO capability along with weather sealed lenses.

If you are after shooting complex movement then I would probably look elsewhere, infact my favourite type of photography is airshows and although I have had excellent results from Pentax I am currently looking at buying a 7D MKII and 100-400mm MKII.

I will still use my Pentax gear for all the other stuff though :-)

Canon 7D, Pentax K-1, Pentax K-3II, Panasonic LX5.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
May 16, 2015 17:23 as a reply to Mike-P's post |  #15

Heya,

speedync wrote in post #17556975external link
I've been eyeing off the KS2. About the same size as an SL1/100D but weathersealed, dual control wheels & I'm pretty sure it has the new fast AF of the K3. 20 MP, which for me personally is the sweet spot in size. Really really tempted to jump, but sheer laziness in selling off a bit of my Canon stuff has stopped me. And the brilliance of the EFM 11-22. And the 55-250 STM. But that's another story :)

Interesting, looks nice. I'm in the same boat, hard to move to any system really.

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #17557183external link
I got into an affair with Pentax back in Nov '14... but it resulted in a camera bigger than what I had before. :mrgreen:

I would *love* to have a 645z. That's my portrait/landscape camera dream (reasonable one since it's not an $80k system and I could actually do that system one day, used). Love the 645z dynamic range and overall quality, medium format is something I'd love to get into.

raptor3x wrote in post #17557321external link
What about the 70-300L?

Good point, one of the only 300mm Canon's that isn't $5K+ and has weather sealing. Though I'm not particularly excited about a 300mm F5.6 for $1k with weather sealing. Then again, it's the only affordable Canon option which is a huge drag... considering Canon's lens line up, and how few actually have good weather sealing and are L lenses. I think I'd rather just gamble with a 300 F4L (non-IS) for $500. Still an option though, thanks!

Very best,

sponsored links

8,258 views & 9 likes for this thread
I'm always flirting with Pentax...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.