Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 27 Apr 2015 (Monday) 21:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lets See Your OCF HSS Outdoor Portraiture.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 18, 2017 21:43 |  #601

Angmo wrote in post #18248690 (external link)
Get a few of those 5x7 flexible cloth reflectors. I have a few white/black sided ones.

That's what he used.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Jan 18, 2017 23:07 |  #602

dmward wrote in post #18248864 (external link)
The Elinchrom approach is similar to the Hyper-Sync approach that Pocket Wizard developed for its ControlTL system.

The Godox approach is to use the high frequency pulsing strobe to create a "flat burn" type flash for the duration of shutter travel.

Both work, both have limitations. One relies on an electronic firing circuit, the other relies on the slowly dimming tail of light from an Xeon tube after the initial flash.

Ive not met any limitations. I'm pretty happy.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 19, 2017 09:11 |  #603

Angmo wrote in post #18248946 (external link)
Ive not met any limitations. I'm pretty happy.

Good. I started with the Hyper Sync approach when it was first implemented by PW. It was a welcome addition to the toolkit.
Now the high output TTL/HSS capabilities fro Godox et al are, for me, a more convenient solution.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,549 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by bobbyz.
Jan 19, 2017 09:48 |  #604

To me the power of HSS strobes is still the limitation. Nowhere in any XPLOR600 review anyone mention power loss with HSS. I think HyperSync ones are better in that regard. I see folks mention killing ambient with XPLOR600 but my tests (with softbox) only show it match ambient at max power. Next time there is sale on that 1200ws extension head, I am going to order it.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 19, 2017 10:14 |  #605

bobbyz wrote in post #18249249 (external link)
To me the power of HSS strobes is still the limitation. Nowhere in any XPLOR600 review anyone mention power loss with HSS. I think HyperSync ones are better in that regard. I see folks mention killing ambient with XPLOR600 but my tests (with softbox) only show it match ambient at max power. Next time there is sale on that 1200ws extension head, I am going to order it.

Bobby,
With both approaches the power available is the same where its below or above x sync speed presuming the capacitor is full.
At x sync and below a voltage controlled strobe fires and there is a diminishing tail of light from the bright flash. With IGBT controlled strobes there is also a tail at full power. Below full power the flash is quenched by the power circuitry.

Above x sync Hyper sync uses the tail to continue exposing the image. That's why lower power setting are better. The tail ramp is flatter. With IGBT the strobe uses a HSS technique which rapidly flashes the strobe for a time sufficient for the shutter curtain slit to cross the sensor.

In either case there is a finite amount of power available in the capacitor to energize the flash tube. Since the power is being distributed across time when implementing HSS and the peak is flattened in favor of having it last longer the luminance is spread over time and requires a different exposure.

Hyper Sync, at full power is closer to x sync for initial exposure with a heavier gradient as the tail power diminishes as the shutter travels.

As for "over powering the sun" that's a very circumstantial requirement. I've been successful using AD360, AD600 and even speedlites. I've also had them less than sufficient. As photographers we are always having to adapt to the situation.

I do like having the H1200 head available. Its now my default head when outside in a sunny situation. I start with one pack attached and a second in the car, just in case. :-D

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 20, 2017 05:42 |  #606

dmward wrote in post #18249277 (external link)
I do like having the H1200 head available. Its now my default head when outside in a sunny situation. I start with one pack attached and a second in the car, just in case. :-D

Are there any cons at all to just using one XPLOR connected to the H1200?

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Jan 20, 2017 07:35 as a reply to dmward's post |  #607

The Elinchrom HiSync with the Ranger RX AS Speed using the S head is so nice as the S Head flash duration is longer than say the Action head. The long burn provides a beautiful exposure even at 1/8000. With 1,100 WS there's plenty to play with. Even with the Strobe 20-30 feet from the subject. Modifiers of pretty much any kind can be used.

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Whitby, ON
Post has been edited 11 months ago by rebelsimon with reason 'Added some. '.
Jan 20, 2017 08:13 |  #608

I've used hypersync in full sun for the last couple years, just switched to Godox gear with HSS. It will be strobe-dependant, but in my experience you lose almost a stop of light using HSS over hypersync (not to mention the extra battery power necessary for HSS).

So why swap gear for something less effective in full sun? ND filters will always trump HSS and hypersync in those times when you need f16 power.

As much as I hate filters, it seems simpler (and cheaper) than carrying around 1200ws strobes.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jan 20, 2017 08:27 |  #609

fashionrider wrote in post #18250124 (external link)
Are there any cons at all to just using one XPLOR connected to the H1200?

None that I've noticed. Maybe the fact that there is a loose cable end. Performance etc. its just the same.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Angmo.
Jan 20, 2017 08:32 |  #610

rebelsimon wrote in post #18250196 (external link)
I've used hypersync in full sun for the last couple years, just switched to Godox gear with HSS. It will be strobe-dependant, but in my experience you lose almost a stop of light using HSS over hypersync (not to mention the extra battery power necessary for HSS).

So why swap gear for something less effective in full sun? ND filters will always trump HSS and hypersync in those times when you need f16 power.

As much as I hate filters, it seems simpler (and cheaper) than carrying around 1200ws strobes.

That may be. I've schlepped 15KG of camera gear around the Himalayia mountains for a couple weeks. Out there 1KG turns to 3KG by the end of the stroll... Weight does not bother me. I bring what I need. One Filter or tons of gear. It's the shoot that requires it. Not me. :-)

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Post has been edited 11 months ago by abbadon31.
Jan 20, 2017 12:29 |  #611

bobbyz wrote in post #18249249 (external link)

There is always a power loss when using HSS and battery consumption compared to straight flash power. I can shoot just fine with the 525Ws godox ad600/ explor600 /cl-600x in full sun I don't ever need to add another 7 pounds / another 525Ws when I'm only using 1/4 most of the time. ;) I'm a hard light shooter, but look at fjhphotography amazing soft light images with a 360

I AM SHOM

fjhphotography
Joined May 2015
Post has been edited 10 months ago by fjhphotography.
Jan 23, 2017 11:44 |  #612

Shot with a Russian lens the other day and came up with this =)

BTS video: https://youtu.be/euhIu​2MiVgs (external link)

Lighting:
1 XPLOR 600 on 1/4th in a 5ft fotodiox octabox camera right set off by the R2 transmitter.

Exif:
Sony a6500 + 85mm
f/2 - 1/4000th - ISO 100

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BTS

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 6D + 135L My YouTube Channel! (external link)|My facebook (external link)| My site (external link)| My Instagram (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Jan 23, 2017 16:37 |  #613

fjhphotography wrote in post #18253314 (external link)
Shot with a Russian lens the other day and came up with this =)

Lighting:
1 XPLOR 600 on 1/4th in a 5ft fotodiox octabox camera right set off by the R2 transmitter.

BTS

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by fjhphotography in
./showthread.php?p=182​53314&i=i189839256
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

How do you like that octobox?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

fjhphotography
Joined May 2015
Jan 23, 2017 19:04 as a reply to ptcanon3ti's post |  #614

I really like it but it's a bit of a hassle outdoors which is why I have someone holding the light always. If shooting on a windy day I'll use my 38" ParaPop.

Canon 6D + 135L My YouTube Channel! (external link)|My facebook (external link)| My site (external link)| My Instagram (external link)

Buick ­ M
Joined Jan 2015
Jan 25, 2017 22:21 as a reply to fjhphotography's post |  #615

Dood!!! Congrats on the Petapixel article.

sponsored links

300,266 views & 2349 likes for this thread
Lets See Your OCF HSS Outdoor Portraiture.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.