Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Bag Reviews
Thread started 06 May 2015 (Wednesday) 23:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

f-stop Guru, reviewed by FarmerTed1971

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND FarmerTed1971 (showing now: FarmerTed1971)
Overall Rating9.5
Value for Money9
Must Have9
Got What I Expected10
Build Quality10
Carrying Comfort9.5
Fast Shootingn/a
not rated
Durability10
Compartment Logic9.5
Versatility9.5
Security9.5
Weather Protection10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of f-stop Guru

Mooch55
30 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Jun 02, 2016 10:40 |  #16

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18015757 (external link)
I just checked eBay... if it's the seller with multiple Malibu blue Gurus I'd steer clear... He has very little info and only one photo. Stinks to me. On the other hand there is another seller with a foliage green one with ICU for a decent price.

My bag came yesterday from the seller. It is brand new with the tags still on it. The strange thing is that I am pretty sure that the shipping confirmation email came from "F-stop store customer service". So maybe this eBay is officially linked with F-stop? Either way, it seems like a great bag and I am excited to really test it out this weekend.

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Jun 13, 2016 19:54 |  #17

If your eBay seller is mltechsupport or materialogic-wsls they are f-stop distributors, which accounts for the number of f-stop products they're selling on eBay. f-stop and mltechsupport operate out of the same city: St. Louis. There's talk that f-stop is in financial difficulty which would be a great pity as their products are among the best out there.

~Peter

FarmerTed1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jun 13, 2016 23:27 |  #18

If that's true it's a huge bummer. Wonder where they went wrong? Executives have expensive taste?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Jun 14, 2016 08:58 |  #19

I don't know if it's true either, but what I've read indicates that bad money management and supply chain problems are the cause. The delays are apparently due to the loss of their manufacturing facility in China and the search for a new factory that could produce to their quality standards. They are tardy in payments and charge customer's credit cards upon order, and you can wait for a long time for your order to be fulfilled.

I bought my f-stop backpack from a distributor and accessories for it from Hong Kong and a rival company (gatekeeper straps). The only thing I've bought direct from f-stop was an accessory in stock on their web site and I called the company to verify that they actually had it. It shipped the same day.

~Peter

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Jun 15, 2016 16:53 |  #20

Today's apologetic long blog post (external link) from f-stop designer Ian Millar explaining the situation. Current status and latest estimated delivery times at the end.

~Peter

FarmerTed1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jun 15, 2016 19:08 |  #21

Thank you for that link.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

jlt23
404 posts
Joined May 2010
Tustin, CA
Jun 15, 2016 22:48 |  #22

peter_n wrote in post #18040481 (external link)
Today's apologetic long blog post (external link) from f-stop designer Ian Millar explaining the situation. Current status and latest estimated delivery times at the end.

Good to know. Thanks

James

manqvu
42 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Jun 18, 2016 23:02 |  #23

Thanks for the blog link. The blog is reporting that the mountain series and icu's are currently shipping. That's great news but I was also told by a rep on the phone in early May that that orders would be fulfilled by the end of that month as a container would be arriving. My fingers will be crossed that this estimate will be realized. I can't imagine how frustrated those of you who have been waiting much longer than I must be.

jamsomito
Joined Apr 2016
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Jun 19, 2016 18:55 |  #24

I got mine in early June. It came direct from Hong Kong to me in Michigan. From a supply chain status thread on Fred Miranda, it seems this is the norm for them. I don't understand why they are waiting on shipping containers if they ship straight from Hong Kong.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Jun 20, 2016 09:33 |  #25

jamsomito wrote in post #18044340 (external link)
I got mine in early June. It came direct from Hong Kong to me in Michigan. From a supply chain status thread on Fred Miranda, it seems this is the norm for them. I don't understand why they are waiting on shipping containers if they ship straight from Hong Kong.

I think they probably shipped direct from China because their customers were seriously unhappy. They charge your credit card when you order then you have to wait forever to get the product. If you get fed up and cancel it's a hassle to get the refund. Right now you can buy Kenti, Loka, and Satori backpacks on eBay from their St. Louis distributor mltechsupport at a discount, so it looks like they're offloading those product lines. Whether you can get the ICUs for the bigger packs is a different matter...

The other thing is that their gatekeeper straps are never in stock and always on back order. Plus they only have 24" straps. I have a small f-stop backpack and got 17" high quality gatekeeper straps from Tom Bihn (shipped same day as order) who has them in stock as of today. They fit my f-stop pack loops perfectly.

~Peter

FarmerTed1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 02, 2016 17:15 |  #26

Not looking good for the company...
https://fstoppers.com ...ra-bags-time-again-140736 (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Aug 04, 2016 07:12 |  #27

Yes, there's a huge thread on FM about the f-stop payment and delivery problems buyers are having. There's another thread over there in which the article in Resource mag is referenced and there are comments both in the FM thread and a comments thread following the Resource article by a former employee which are very critical. It certainly does not look good for f-stop, and if that's the case it really is a pity because the bags are well designed and very durable.

~Peter

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Aug 05, 2016 13:54 |  #28

Ian Millar, f-stop's chief designer has left the company.

~Peter

FarmerTed1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 05, 2016 18:02 |  #29

peter_n wrote in post #18087398 (external link)
Ian Millar, f-stop's chief designer has left the company.

ThinkTank should snatch him up.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Aug 06, 2016 08:58 |  #30

F-stop is going under by the looks of it.

~Peter

sponsored links

11,166 views & 14 likes for this thread
f-stop Guru, reviewed by FarmerTed1971
FORUMS Gear Reviews Bag Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.