Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Accessories
Thread started 11 May 2015 (Monday) 02:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Experience with Sony costumer service and warranty

adriannejune24
53 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Lincoln Park USA
May 11, 2015 02:59 |  #1

I bought a sony flash 6 months ago. This flash got the new multi interface shoe that for me is a major design flaw compared to the old hotshoe. But I have no choice so I still bought it for 398 dollars. I used it one time and put it on my camera. I am using a flash diffuser which will give extra weight to the flash which is for me is not a problem as the old flash can hold it. So when I change the camera position from landscape to portrait the flash did not fire. So when I check it, a part of the hotshoe snapped and the piece of wire was hanging. So I called the sony costumer support as my flash is still under warranty. I told them what happened and they told me to send the flash to their authorized repair center and I will shoulder the shipping. After a week of waiting I check the repair status of the flash and it is delayed I called the service center and they told me they can't repair it because it was an accidental damage. How can it be an accidental damage if I just turn my camera to other side which I do all the time. So I escalated the problem and it went to costumer relations which called me and told me the final decision is they will not repair the flash because they are sticking into their evaluation that it was an accidental damage. I felt like I'm cheated here. As a regular sony costumer., they treat me as I was nothing I am so depressed right now. 400 dollars is not easily earned.... Please help me to get my flash fixed

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Jul 02, 2015 13:58 |  #2

adriannejune24 wrote in post #17551548 (external link)
I bought a sony flash 6 months ago. This flash got the new multi interface shoe that for me is a major design flaw compared to the old hotshoe. But I have no choice so I still bought it for 398 dollars. I used it one time and put it on my camera. I am using a flash diffuser which will give extra weight to the flash which is for me is not a problem as the old flash can hold it. So when I change the camera position from landscape to portrait the flash did not fire. So when I check it, a part of the hotshoe snapped and the piece of wire was hanging. So I called the sony costumer support as my flash is still under warranty. I told them what happened and they told me to send the flash to their authorized repair center and I will shoulder the shipping. After a week of waiting I check the repair status of the flash and it is delayed I called the service center and they told me they can't repair it because it was an accidental damage. How can it be an accidental damage if I just turn my camera to other side which I do all the time. So I escalated the problem and it went to costumer relations which called me and told me the final decision is they will not repair the flash because they are sticking into their evaluation that it was an accidental damage. I felt like I'm cheated here. As a regular sony costumer., they treat me as I was nothing I am so depressed right now. 400 dollars is not easily earned.... Please help me to get my flash fixed

I think Sony service leaves a lot to be desired. I have an a7 that I accidentally dumped over with the LAEA4 and 70-400G attached. My lens mount completely broke with the fall.

I sent it in with the receipt thinking it was a long shot. Sony sent me a new camera for free. Doesn't seem fair that they did that for me since it really was my fault.

Just a thought from Daniel
Pictures (external link)
Gear

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jul 02, 2015 14:09 |  #3

I've owned and have helped others who've owned several Sony products over the past 20-30 years that caused be to seek assistance from Sony and have never been satisfied. Everything from phone systems to home entertainment/TV products to P&S cameras. In-warranty or out-of-warranty makes no difference; Sony is completely without customer focus.

This is the reason why I personally choose to not spend money on their products any more. They want to price themselves as a high-quality, top-level brand but refuse to provide equivalent customer support. And their resellers do no better.

All I can suggest is that you try to get some assistance from your reseller or, if purchased via a credit card, see if the credit card issuer has some kind of warranty extension program that might be able to offer advice.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jul 03, 2015 13:26 |  #4

KayakPhotos wrote in post #17618233 (external link)
I think Sony service leaves a lot to be desired. I have an a7 that I accidentally dumped over with the LAEA4 and 70-400G attached. My lens mount completely broke with the fall.

I sent it in with the receipt thinking it was a long shot. Sony sent me a new camera for free. Doesn't seem fair that they did that for me since it really was my fault.

Still, Daniels, that was a wonderful outcome...glad it worked well for you! I am hungry for some great customer support anecdotes like this from Sony, so this is really nice to read.

Hope other can share similar positive-outcome anecdotes like yours. Right now, as I get close to my big move into early-retirement where new gear funds are going to dry up completely for the next 8 years or so (unless other imcome flows develop), I want to make the safest of decisions and concerns about Sony services are pushing me away and back towards Canon. I don't really want that; I'm nuts about the a7 platform. Technologically it's exactly where I want to be. But, service support concerns may hold me back.

David | Flickr (external link)

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Jul 03, 2015 13:53 |  #5

David Arbogast wrote in post #17619332 (external link)
Still, Daniels, that was a wonderful outcome...glad it worked well for you! I am hungry for some great customer support anecdotes like this from Sony, so this is really nice to read.

I was actually pleased with the end result. The only issue was that communication was minimal and I waited almost two months to get the new camera. It's not a big deal since I do this for fun, but would have been a problem if I HAD to have a camera.

Just a thought from Daniel
Pictures (external link)
Gear

2,143 views & 1 like for this thread
Experience with Sony costumer service and warranty
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.