Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 12 May 2015 (Tuesday) 10:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000, reviewed by CameraMan

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND CameraMan (showing now: CameraMan)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money10
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected9
AF Performance10
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,768 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
May 12, 2015 10:02 |  #1

I've had this camera for a couple weeks now. I was looking for something to take the place of my 70-200 lens and I think I picked a winner. It's got some quirks but it has lived up to my expectations so far.

Atlanta Wedding Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.

Hinson
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Germantown, Maryland
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Hinson. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 21, 2016 14:46 |  #2

Reviewer background: First camera in 1959 (Canonflex) USN Photographer '60-'64, photographer till retirement in 2006. Used Canons throughout with exception of year or so with a Mamiya ProTL medium format.

I've owned this camera for about a year and a half and am thrilled with it.

Pros:

Shoots RAW (I only shoot RAW so a camera that doesn't shoot raw is useless to me)
Small & lightweight (easy to carry)
fixed lens 9.1-146mm (25-400mm 35mm equiv) (no need to constantly be changing lens, much less chance of dust inside unit)
fast lens f2.8-40 (great low light camera)
high image quality (given the quality of this camera and lens it would take a magnifying glass to see any difference between the average image taken with this camera and an identical image shot (at same time, same lighting, same position, etc.) with a Canon or Nikon using L quality lens. See my comparison in this flickr post (www.flickr.com/groups/​lumix-fz1000/discuss/7215766​6807437723 (external link))
Extensive filter/feature menu (many creative and photo style auto settings, the 'the in-camera panorama feature is just plain awesome)
Well built even though it doesn't have the metal body like many so-called 'pro' cameras. (However; I've dropped my FZ1k twice from waist level and no noticeable damage other than a scrape on the lens hood.)
Shoots 4k Video

And the list goes on. In short, this camera will do everything the amateur, advanced hobbyist or pro photog needs it to do.

But alas, there are some

Cons: I'll list these in order of their importance (to me)

1. Cannot shoot RAW for almost all of the built in shooting modes. (since I normally shoot only in the manual, aperture, shutter or program mode this is not a biggie but I would like the pano mode to shoot raw and maybe a few others.)
2. The card and battery slot is UNDER the camera: This requires the removal from tripod to change cards/batteries. A royal pain.
3. Panasonic's JPEG conversion leaves a lot to be desired. Only under ideal conditions can you get decent JPEGs that are print worthy. For screen viewing, they are definitely acceptable.
4. Image quality is soft at the 400mm end.

And a few more nits but nothing bad enough that I wouldn't recommend this camera to anyone. I convinced my son to dump his 70D and get the FZ1000 and he is loving it.

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

upa007
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Nov 29, 2016 11:19 |  #3

Agree; great little camera. Really flexible to most conditions. Also quite robust. I have taken it on offroad motorcycle rides (dust, bangs, falls, etc) and it is doing fine.
My favourite pictures with this camera are street portraits in daylight using the long zoom.
I find the battery does not last that long but I carry two charged spares and all good.
I highly recommend it.

Hinson
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Germantown, Maryland
Nov 29, 2016 16:34 as a reply to upa007's post |  #4

LOL...we think alike (four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul). My camera in a cheap ($10) camera case, sits on my passenger seat whenever I go out on the bike. The case has two loops to run your belt through but I use those for a bunge cord to hold the camer tight to the sissy bar. Works for me and the camera is always at the ready. So much better than taking 5-10 minutes to strap on the tamrac bag with extra lens, accessories etc. And it's easy to undo if I want to stop for lunch.

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Flickr (external link)

Hinson
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Germantown, Maryland
Nov 29, 2016 16:36 |  #5

It can't outdo the 70-200 2.8 but will hold it's own with the 70-200 4.0. (I miss my 200mm 2.8 shots though) ;-)a

Flickr (external link)

2,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000, reviewed by CameraMan
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.