Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 20 May 2015 (Wednesday) 12:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any experience with Cyberpower pc

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 20, 2015 12:15 |  #1

Thinking about getting a gaming pc for my 15 yo nephew.
The kid's got good grades and I think this would be a nice summer time gift.

Found this Cyberpower pc at Costco. Seems like it's really loaded and costs $2k.
Cyberpower gets great reviews at reselleratings. Less so at amazon.
What's your experience?

http://www.costco.com ...al.product.10017243​0.htmlexternal link

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Coderunner
Joined Dec 2004
VA USA
May 20, 2015 13:13 |  #2

I have a custom Cyberpower Pc and it is great. Mine is an Intel 5930K liquid cooled system running with an ASUS Deluxe x99 motherboard at 4.5 GHZ. I've had no problems during the 3 months that I've had the system. The Costco system looks like a great value.

1D X Mark II,5D Mark IV,7Dii & too many lens
http://www.sthornhill.​com (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 20, 2015 13:29 |  #3

Coderunner wrote in post #17564303external link
I have a custom Cyberpower Pc and it is great. Mine is an Intel 5930K liquid cooled system running with an ASUS Deluxe x99 motherboard at 4.5 GHZ. I've had no problems during the 3 months that I've had the system. The Costco system looks like a great value.

Thanks for the comment, that's good to know.

I also went to Cyberpower Pc and configured the same pc that's on Costco's site. Looks like it's about $300 cheaper at Costco.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Kolor-Pikker.
May 20, 2015 14:15 |  #4

Of all the custom PC builders, Cyberpower can be considered the "least expensive" without delving into a no-name brand. Effectively the only service they provide is putting the thing together, which is why their computers don't cost much more than putting it together yourself. Not a bad choice if you're afraid of frying something by tinkering around with computer parts.

As for the actual system, the configuration seems a little lop-sided, because a 5820K and 64GB of RAM is never ever going to see use in gaming. You could cut the RAM down to 16GB and even that would be generous, meanwhile the GTX960 is not a very powerful graphics card. This is a workstation more than anything, if you said you wanted it yourself for photo and video editing, I'd have said yes.

If you want a system he can use for games without going overboard, pick something based on the Z97 platform and a GTX 980, it may end up costing less but be way faster.

If you want him to own an overkill system that's fine too, but it won't be long before that 960 is going to cause problems and he'll be asking you to swap it out for something more beefy - 2GB just isn't enough to run modern games. For instance the game Shadow of Mordor can easily saturate a 4GB framebuffer if you turn the graphics up high.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
May 20, 2015 14:20 |  #5

^^Thanks, KP

Maybe look for a system with a lesser cpu and ram, and put more into a higher graphics card.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Kolor-Pikker. 3 edits done in total.
May 20, 2015 14:54 |  #6

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17564401external link
^^Thanks, KP

Maybe look for a system with a lesser cpu and ram, and put more into a higher graphics card.

I want to add that as far as gaming goes, there is no difference between the i5 4690K and i7 4790K, the i5 lacks hyper threading but it also costs a lot less. Games do not use more than 4 cores/threads.

16GB is plenty and do try to fit a GTX 980 in there. You will not need more than a 750w power supply, in fact I expect the system to use less than 400w of power even under load, but you want to try and keep power supply wattage about twice that of the draw for best efficiency and longevity. Make sure the supply is made by EVGA, Seasonic or Corsair, they make some very good PSUs for the money. Choice of RAM and motherboard don't matter much, unlike 10+ years ago, they have no say in the computers performance.

And of course an SSD for the boot drive (preferably Intel) and an HDD to store games on, they're getting big so you may want a 3TB drive.

Edit: This is kind of a personal point, but you may want to get a nice mouse and mechanical keyboard if the budget allows, the Logitech G502 is arguably the best mouse out right now at around $57 and a keyboard like the CM Storm Quickfire is $90, preferably with Cherry Red or Brown switches and not Blue. Part of the experience after all is how you interact with the darn thing.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Mass
May 21, 2015 01:33 |  #7

I've looked at them before and I would of bought from them. They cost slightly more then building your own but if you have no idea what to do, go with them.

I built my own because I wanted too and just to play around. Good experience and took some time but it was fun.

Cut the RAM in half if you want to be generous but 16GB is enough. Get a better GPU instead. Everything else looks like a sweet deal.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebookexternal link

flickrexternal link

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
May 21, 2015 13:26 |  #8

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #17564393external link
Of all the custom PC builders, Cyberpower can be considered the "least expensive" without delving into a no-name brand. Effectively the only service they provide is putting the thing together, which is why their computers don't cost much more than putting it together yourself. Not a bad choice if you're afraid of frying something by tinkering around with computer parts.

As for the actual system, the configuration seems a little lop-sided, because a 5820K and 64GB of RAM is never ever going to see use in gaming. You could cut the RAM down to 16GB and even that would be generous, meanwhile the GTX960 is not a very powerful graphics card. This is a workstation more than anything, if you said you wanted it yourself for photo and video editing, I'd have said yes.

If you want a system he can use for games without going overboard, pick something based on the Z97 platform and a GTX 980, it may end up costing less but be way faster.

If you want him to own an overkill system that's fine too, but it won't be long before that 960 is going to cause problems and he'll be asking you to swap it out for something more beefy - 2GB just isn't enough to run modern games. For instance the game Shadow of Mordor can easily saturate a 4GB framebuffer if you turn the graphics up high.

This.

I would never pay anywhere near the asking price for that machine. 64gb of RAM is overkill for pretty much everything, and literally for any and every game. Meanwhile the GTX 960 is a completely underwhelming card imo, even for the money of that card ($200) you could do way better, in a $2000 system I would expect at least a GTX 970 and more likely a GTX 980.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,809 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 21, 2015 14:17 |  #9

I want one now for processing! But yes, I agree, out of balance for a gaming system.
You can get a more appropriate gaming system that will cost less. Check out more from CyberPower, they are good and have been around a very long time.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Mar 2008
California
May 21, 2015 16:16 |  #10

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17565627external link
Meanwhile the GTX 960 is a completely underwhelming card imo, even for the money of that card ($200) you could do way better, in a $2000 system I would expect at least a GTX 970 and more likely a GTX 980.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. The only prebuilts Costco has up there are GTX 745 and a few 960s and a Titan X.

For $200 more someone could be sitting on a Titan X, which is definite overkill but leaps better than what was listed from in the first post.

A 980 would be nice to get in a system, even a 970 for half the price would be more than sufficient if you are doing CyberPower custom build.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

iowajim
Joined Mar 2011
North Central Iowa
May 24, 2015 17:34 |  #11

I bought from CyberPower when they first got started and maybe a couple years ago - I found them to be good to work with - no complaints either time. I generally prefer to build my own, but sometimes their pricing is good enough that it isn't worth the bother.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

thefranklin
44 posts
Joined Feb 2011
May 26, 2015 11:55 |  #12

Great advice from everyone here, but no one mentioned that a 120 gb ssd is going to be too small!

If I were to build one, I would put a 500gb one in. I have a 256 gb in my pc (and I have to juggle games from ssd to hdd quite a bit) and since the 500 gb ssds are regularly less than $200, it is a slam dunk. It may work out cheaper to buy the large ssd separately and clone the 120 gb ssd that comes with the system.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Mar 2008
California
May 26, 2015 13:24 |  #13

thefranklin wrote in post #17571902external link
Great advice from everyone here, but no one mentioned that a 120 gb ssd is going to be too small!

If I were to build one, I would put a 500gb one in. I have a 256 gb in my pc (and I have to juggle games from ssd to hdd quite a bit) and since the 500 gb ssds are regularly less than $200, it is a slam dunk. It may work out cheaper to buy the large ssd separately and clone the 120 gb ssd that comes with the system.

That's because if your talking about the one in the link above, the boot drive is 120 and there is an additional 2TB HDD drive

Drives:
-2TB 7200RPM SATA3 Hard Drive + 120GB Solid State Drive
-DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

thefranklin
44 posts
Joined Feb 2011
May 26, 2015 15:46 |  #14

Bleufire wrote in post #17571997external link
That's because if your talking about the one in the link above, the boot drive is 120 and there is an additional 2TB HDD drive

With only a 120 gig ssd, one will have to decide what games get to be on the ssd, hence the need to juggle games between the ssd and HDD. You can argue that performance doesn't change, but I really loathe loading times and/or loading screens.

japanbran
25 posts
Joined Jul 2011
May 28, 2015 16:46 |  #15

I own a cyberpower pc i bought as a editing station. no complaints here, does everything i need it to.

5D Mark III Gripped/60D Gripped/70-200mm f2.8/24-105 f4 L/100mm 2.8 USM Macro/50mm 1.4 USM/17-50 f2.8/and some flashes and stuff.

sponsored links

2,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any experience with Cyberpower pc
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.