Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 11:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anyone attend AirVenture?

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
May 27, 2015 11:26 |  #1

AirVenture (Oshkosh) must be one of the largest air shows in the world. It's been on my bucket list for a long time.

If you attended perhaps you can share your experience. With 500,000 people attending over 7 days the crowds must be huge.
I wonder what photography is like for the flying events. How close can you get to the runway, and what size lens might be required?

Since I'll be coming from out of town, I'll have to rent a motel room and car. Any tips you might like to share about getting around
Oshkosh during the event?

http://www.eaa.org ...ut-eaa-airventure-oshkoshexternal link

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Joined Oct 2005
May 27, 2015 13:29 |  #2

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17573288 (external link)
AirVenture (Oshkosh) must be one of the largest air shows in the world. It's been on my bucket list for a long time.

If you attended perhaps you can share your experience. With 500,000 people attending over 7 days the crowds must be huge.
I wonder what photography is like for the flying events. How close can you get to the runway, and what size lens might be required?

Since I'll be coming from out of town, I'll have to rent a motel room and car. Any tips you might like to share about getting around
Oshkosh during the event?

http://www.eaa.org ...ut-eaa-airventure-oshkosh (external link)

Actual images from 2014's AirVenture.

IMAGE: http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/kevinlillard/05272015a/2014-07-30b-0243_zpsujdrn5xd.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i1174.photobuck​et.com ...-30b-0243_zpsujdrn5xd.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

IMAGE: http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/kevinlillard/05272015a/2014-07-30b-0417_zps9f61iimr.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i1174.photobuck​et.com ...-30b-0417_zps9f61iimr.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

IMAGE: http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/kevinlillard/05272015a/2014-07-30b-0482_zpszo5vozgm.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i1174.photobuck​et.com ...-30b-0482_zpszo5vozgm.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

IMAGE: http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/kevinlillard/05272015a/2014-07-30b-0226_zpsfeakbswk.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i1174.photobuck​et.com ...-30b-0226_zpsfeakbswk.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

IMAGE: http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r601/kevinlillard/05272015a/2014-07-30b-0285_zpszvjol6rm.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://i1174.photobuck​et.com ...-30b-0285_zpszvjol6rm.jpg] (external link) on photobucket

The ground display images came from a Tamron 18-200mm lens. For no particular reason, the same lens was used for aerial displays.

The sort of 400-500mm lens that is useful at any other air show will work well at AirVenture. Of course, you'll be at the mercy of sun and clouds and sky conditions.

Arrive early and you can get to close parking accessible from West 20th Street east of I-41. From the best parking lots you can walk to shuttle bus stops behind the EAA museum.

Wednesday is the least crowded day. Regardless of when you arive, there always will be someone who arrived before you. There are no short walks, especially if you head to Warbird Alley.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
May 27, 2015 14:58 |  #3

Love those photos - sharp and well detailed.

Thanks for the info. My go-to lens is the Canon 300 f2.8 IS II that I use often with the 1.4xIII.
With my 1.3 crop sensor 1DMKIV it's usually enough reach, but not always.

I live in Los Angeles, so that would be a 2000 mile flight. Kind of expensive for an air show.
Do you consider the show a bucket-list, must see event. Is it that good?

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Joined Oct 2005
May 27, 2015 16:21 |  #4

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17573544external link
Love those photos - sharp and well detailed.

Thanks for the info. My go-to lens is the Canon 300 f2.8 IS II that I use often with the 1.4xIII.
With my 1.3 crop sensor 1DMKIV it's usually enough reach, but not always.

I live in Los Angeles, so that would be a 2000 mile flight. Kind of expensive for an air show.
Do you consider the show a bucket-list, must see event. Is it that good?

EAA AirVenture combines the best of all aviation worlds. It's a combined business aviation show, helicopter show, general aviation show, military demonstration show, aerobatic show and fly-in. For most people it'll take at least two days to see everything there is to see.

AirVenture is unquestionably a "bucket list" event for anyone who enjoys aviation.

wizzells
Joined Feb 2012
Jun 29, 2015 20:06 |  #5

I've been to AirVenture the last 3 years.
Bear in mind that I'm no professional photographer, but I enjoy it as a hobby.

I used my Canon 15-85mm as my walk around lens and Canon 100-400mm on the 70D last year and it turned out to be a pretty good combo.
Thinking about renting the Sigma 150-600 C this year for a bit more reach, but wouldn't consider it absolutely necessary.
I wouldn't want anything less than 300mm on my 1.6 crop sensor. You'll be cropping for anything that isn't right in front of you if you are all the way up on the flight line, which is what I would consider fairly close to the runway.

It's a fantastic show - recommended 100%.
Generally, the crowds are slightly less during the week, but it's fairly busy every day.
Definetly use the shuttles and "trams" (red, blue, etc) that run from around the field. There's no way you can walk the the whole thing without being pulled out on a stretcher :lol:

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jul 08, 2015 14:34 as a reply to wizzells's post |  #6

Thanks, Wizzells. Good info.

I really want to attend next year. Guess I'd have to book a motel/hotel room well in advance.

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Madison, WI
Jul 08, 2015 14:53 |  #7

"Oshkosh" is definitely a "bucket list" event.
I'm fortunate to live about an hour south west, so I can get there (much) more easily than you...

Camping is a good option. There are also rooms in the UW-Oshkosh dorms that are often available right up to the start of the show.

For camera equipment, a FOV equivalent to a 500mm lens on an APS-C body is very nice for the airshow, but 400mm is good enough. A wider FOV is good for multi-ship teams. I usually have my 500mm on one body and the 100-400mm on another.
If you want good photos of the airshow, you will need to stake out a spot right on the "burn line" early in the day. Unfortunately, that means physically sitting there.
I've shot from almost every part of the show line (except maybe the very far north section). The areas to the north and south of show-center are good, and I also like to head ~1/4 mile south for fewer crowds and nice shots of the turn-around maneuvers.

Here are some of my photos:

IMAGE: http://moving-target-photos.com/2012Oshkosh/IMG_7688_screen.jpg

http://moving-target-photos.com/external link - My Stuff

carpenter
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Green Bay, WI
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by carpenter.
Jul 09, 2015 11:11 |  #8

I will be attending my 27th AirVenture this year. I've been there every year since 1989 (where I first fell in love with the SR-71 Blackbird). I have found that for me that the 100-400 is the best/most versatile lens for the actual airshow itself. There is an incredible amount of static displays though as well so you will want to bring a wide angle lens as well. Here's the long version of a few things I would recommend for anyone looking to get nice photos from the show.

1) You will want to bring a folding chair with you since you will be sitting out near the flightline and it's just grass. That's really the only thing you NEED to bring aside from your camera, but some other things to consider are sun block, umbrella, water, portable power supply for cell phone, book etc. Carry ins are allowed so you can bring food and drinks in (no alcohol) along with coolers no larger than 18x12 inches. The umbrella is 2 fold as it works great for rain and blocking the sun. You may be sitting on the flightline for a long time depending on what you want to take from the airshow so it's nice to block that sun. I spend a fair amount of time on the flightline before the airshow so I'm always playing around on my phone and stuff so that's why I recommended one of those small power supply things for a cell phone. Certainly not for everyone, but for me it's nice to have. Anything to keep you busy is good to bring along.

2) Gates open at 7AM. You definitely want to be there by 7. I recommend planning to be there at 6:30 so that you can park and walk to the ticket counter to get your wristband. Even though you have a ticket you need to exchange that for a wristband at the gate entrance. If you plan to go multiple days you can get all wristbands (or the weekly wristband) your first day and then not have to exchange your tickets everyday. It's usually not terribly busy so the line is short and it's relatively quick as there are a couple dozen workers giving the wristbands out. Even though the airshow itself doesn't start until the afternoon you want to get there early so you can get setup in the front row which is best for photos.

3) Location. Once you get through the gate just keep walking until you get to the flightline area. Pick out a spot and set up camp. When you setup, keep in mind obstructions like the speaker poles which are newer in the past few years. These are tall and can be intrusive to your photos. So plan your location such that these poles are as far out of your photo panning area as possible. At the front of the viewing area on the ground you will see signs with numbers that indicate rows for aircraft parking. Behind you will then be lots of small personally owned aircraft. If you can setup as close to one of those signs as possible that is ideal. Throughout the day smaller aircraft will be pushed out down these "rows", so if you are near the edge of the row you won't have to move your chair as they push the planes down the middle of the rows. This is kind of important because if you want to get up and go checkout other stuff going on throughout the day and a plane has to get moved out they will take your chair and move it off to the side and they don't move them back. Easy way to lose your front row spot as other people then see no chairs there and move in. If you get up and leave your chair unattended you are required to fold your chair up and lay it down so it doesn't blow out onto the flightline or into aircraft. I believe officially you are not supposed to leave any chair unattended, but that has never been enforced. I always sit south of show center, but as Geoff alluded to if you go further south or north you can get some nice photos of turn maneuvers.

4) There are a lot of other things to take in aside from just the airshow so look at the website and all the special activities or stage forum presentations. One of my favorite things at EAA was 2 years ago when a number of SR-71 blackbird pilots held a symposium about what it was like to fly the plane. Funny group of guys with great stories and anecdotes. This year, for instance, on Wednesday evening Apollo 13 Flight Commander James A. Lovell and Command Module Pilot and Fred W. Haise will be speaking and discussing that mission, the issues, and the effort to save the crew.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jul 16, 2015 10:28 |  #9

Thanks folks for the great information. I'm gonna really try for 2016.

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,126 posts
Joined Mar 2011
newYORK
Jul 18, 2015 16:36 |  #10

...interested in attending but this will be my first. was thinking of bringing my gimbal and sticks for more stable shots during the performances but I know space will be limited due to the crowd. do you recommend to bring it or just hand hold the lens during the show?

thanks

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Madison, WI
Jul 18, 2015 21:57 |  #11

I always hand hold (even my 500mm f/4).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

http://moving-target-photos.com/external link - My Stuff

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,126 posts
Joined Mar 2011
newYORK
Jul 18, 2015 22:49 as a reply to GeoffSobering's post |  #12

...thanks! that's what I will be using along with a 8-15 and 16-35 on a different body!

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jul 19, 2015 11:07 |  #13

GeoffSobering wrote in post #17636066 (external link)
I always hand hold (even my 500mm f/4).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Geoff, I forgot to say what a great collection of photos you have. Thanks for sharing.

And thanks to other who offered advice.

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,126 posts
Joined Mar 2011
newYORK
Jul 20, 2015 17:06 |  #14

...anyone attending tomorrow, driving in from chicago!

carpenter
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Green Bay, WI
Jul 21, 2015 12:09 as a reply to ONE30's post |  #15

I will be there tomorrow.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

sponsored links

7,645 views & 6 likes for this thread
Anyone attend AirVenture?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.