Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 06 Jun 2015 (Saturday) 11:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

One 77mm CPL to cover all my lenses???

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Intheswamp.
Jun 06, 2015 11:38 |  #1

I hope to pick up a CPL in the near future. Naturally I'd like one that will work with all of my lenses. I'm shooting a 6D and I think the largest filter I might need in the possible future is 77mm in the case that I purchase a 24-70 or 70-200 down the road. What I would like is to use one CPL for all of lenses. Using a 77mm size CPL I shouldn't have any problems using step-down rings down to a 52mm size, should I? I'm thinking that I'll have to stack several rings to get from 77mm to 52mm...would doing this cause a problem. The widest I would be shooting would be the 24-70 (if I can swing the $ for one :) ), though currently my walk-around/wide lens is a Tammy 28-75 f2.8 which uses a 67mm filter. I've got a few fixed lenses (50mm, 85mm, 100mm) that require 52mm and 58mm filters.

So, is there an issue with stacking too many rings with the lenses I've noted? Anything to be aware of?

Should I consider going with a larger CPL than 77mm, even though the largest lens that I see I might own takes 77mm?

I'm looking at the two B+W cpls...the XS-Pro and the standard one...looks like the standard one is spoken highly of as is the XS-Pro one. Should I be concerned with the "thin" aspect? I might be adding an ND filter to the stack later...would that work well with the standard one?

Another CPL that I'm looking at is the Marumi DHG CPL. It is a good bit cheaper in price but also spoken well of. In another thread someone (can't remember who, but thanks for posting it) showed comparison shots between the Marumi and a B+W and it seemed the Marumi had more flare to it.

From reports that I've read, the build quality of the Marumi isn't as robust(?) as the B+W. Being as there is only a $15-$20 difference between the standard B+W and the Marumi I feel I would definitely select the standard B+W. Between the B+W CPLs...is the XS-Pro worth the premium over the standard one?

As for the step-down rings... There are some very inexpensive ones out there, whereas the B+W ones cost 10x as much. Any issues going with the cheaper rings? Any problems such as seizing, roughness, etc.,. to be expected with the cheaper ones?

Any feedback is appreciated and thanks a lot for it!!!! :)
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Jun 06, 2015 12:03 |  #2

One thing to remember is that if you try to make one CPL do for all your lenses, you'll need to change the filter from lens top lens almost as frequently as you change lenses. Since filters, unlike lenses, screw on, that can get old real fast! A second point is that if you use a step-up ring to attach your 77 mm filter to your smaller diameter lenses, you won't be able to use your lens hoods. To avoid both these problems, I have CPLs for all my lenses, including multiple 77 mm ones for the several lenses I have that use 77 mm filters.

Yes, you can use step-up rings to attach a large filter to your smaller diameter lenses, but for now, I'd suggest buying a CPL for the largest diameter lens you currently have (58 mm, I think you said) and get a 52-58 mm step-up ring to use on your smaller lenses. That way, you don't need to restrain yourself to 77 mm diameter lenses down the road - Canon (and other manufacturers) are also making 82 mm dia. lenses in both wide and telephoto zoom ranges, and you don't want to let a filter diameter decide the lens you get. Besides, if you don't like swapping filters, you'll be getting more anyhow.

As to brands, I use only B+W MRC, and have standardized on their Kaersemann filters; they seem to let a bit more light through than the non-Kaesemann ones do. But step-up rings are just metal and air; I wouldn't worry too much about which brand of those you get.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,002 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jun 06, 2015 12:36 |  #3

One other thing to keep in mind, The few $$ you save with only one filter and step up rings can easily be erase when you have to repair your filter threads because bumped the filter on anything. The extra filter hanging over is just an accident waiting to happen, even just handing around your neck.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jun 06, 2015 13:28 |  #4

Thanks for the replies. The largest filter I'd need right now would be a 67mm for my 28-75mm Tamron.

I'm on a tight budget. :oops:

I'm also trying to decide on a new lens...taking my time. I've got the 135L, the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm of both apertures on my "want" list. I can only afford one of them for now and another lens purchase will have to be a *long* way down the road so I hope to pick the one that truly "fits" me. :-)

With that in mind, the zooms require the 77mm and the 135L requires a 72mm. I will be selling the Tamron if I buy the 24-70mm...the 67mm cpl would then not fit anything without the use of a ring. If I opted for the 77mm cpl it appears it would take two step-down rings for it to reach 67mm. The 77mm would precisely fit four of my prospective lens choices and one of them (the 135L) with a single step-down ring.

For the smaller filter requirements (52mm and 58mm) I can see buying another cpl down the road. Actually I've been using an old Micro-Nikkor 55mm 3.5 and liking the landscape shots so the purchase of a smaller cpl might be sooner than later being as they're a lot cheaper than the 77mm!

JJ, thanks for the head up on the extended filters, I'm thinking hard about what you said. If I do go the multi-ring route I'll be more aware of the possible problem since you've mentioned it. But, if I opt for the 77mm then it would only be used with multiple rings on the Tamron...no great financial risk there in comparison to the Canon zooms.

Maybe what I need to do is go ahead an decide on which lens to sneak into the house ;-)a and get the proper filter for it. I don't know if it's the deciding that's really holding it back or the idea of spending that much $$$. -?

Ed

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 06, 2015 13:40 |  #5

Also keep in mind that with step rings attached you most likely will not be able to use your hoods. This can be really annoying. Also take into consoderation whether you will actually want to use the CPL on every lens you own. I find them useful on my wider lenses, but less on my tele lenses. .

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jun 06, 2015 14:11 |  #6

Thanks, gonzogolf. I had somewhat thought about that, but the longest auto lens that I have is a 100mm macro. I'm definitely focal length limited. That's why I'm torn between the 24-70 and the 70-200. I honestly think I'd end up using the shorter zoom the most...BUT, I've got some granddaughters coming along that will keep me shooting in dimly lit auditoriums for years to come...still, I've "made do" with the standard 28-75 Tamron so maybe the 24-70 would be good enough. Either way, the 77mm cover either of them. I'll have to sort this out.

Gotta run, I'll check in later...thanks again for the feedback!

Ed

Copper ­ NYC
376 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Queens County, NYC NY
Jun 07, 2015 14:45 |  #7

If your using hoods I'm pretty sure they won't attach

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jun 07, 2015 15:07 |  #8

I think the answer to this depends on how frequently you use a CPL. I don't use one frequently, and when I do it's typically for landscapes, which won't run away when I'm changing filters and lenses.

For me, one filter is sufficient. I don't stack step-up rings; rather I get a dedicated step-up ring for each lens diameter directly up to 77mm. This helps eliminate problems with vignetting. I also have a 77mm diameter adjustable rubber lens hood to use with the filter, when needed.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
Jul 08, 2015 08:19 |  #9

There is an amazing range of adapters when considering the reach. i.e. 52-77 is readily available for $6. No need to stack, just look around a bit. I'm not worried about bumping my CPL, but anything can happen. I'm more likely to use a CPL on my 70-300 than on my 12-24, and CPL on UWA can have unexpected results in the edges. But as with any "rules" or "guidelines", use what works well for you and improve as you can.

With the purchase of the 50 STM, I need to expand my ring collection to include 49. I will also buy a 49 mm CPL when funds are available, to go with my 67 CPL. For Rings, I currently have 2 each of 58-67, 58-77, 67-77, 72-77. I like redundancy, any sort of back up plan...all Digital Goja brand. Fotodiox has the 49-67 I need for $10.

Issue of Filters and Hoods: Always a difficulty with the 70-300! I may purchase an aftermarket hood (if available) to try this - Cut a slot on the left or bottom side so the filter can be rotated with the hood in place. Any thoughts?

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 50/1.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Jul 11, 2015 07:59 |  #10
banned

I settled on two CPLs. The 77 covers my 77mm, 72 & 67mm threads. The 58 covers the other stuff. I got a set of aluminum step-rings from Amazon for about $12. They cover 49-52, to 72-77mm.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 11, 2015 09:27 as a reply to GeoKras1989's post |  #11

I got to thinking and remembered that I had a cpl of some size...just had to find it after putting most of my stuff in mothballs for a while. Found a 67mm Hoya cpl, not a B&W, but it works. Also, found a 52-67 step-up ring....I had forgotten I had bought these when I first bot my 17-55 f2.8 for my T2i. These will do for now on my Tamron 28-75. :-D

I re-visited looking at step-up rings this morning and there are some interesting sets. The only problem I see with the sets are that stacking the rings you can easily end up with a "flare" of rings coming off your lens that might be an inch long. gjl711 mentioned a few posts ago about possibly damaging the filter threads on a lens because of the filter adapters. When I first read it I thought that it really wasn't that big of a deal but I now think there's more to it than what I first thought. With the step-up rings you create a definite "lip" that flares out on the end of the lens if you stack the rings or a definite right-angled lip if you get a precise setup-up (something like a 52mm-67mm) . I can see how either lip could bump into or get caught on something as you're handling the camera. Whereas a lens hood protrudes similarly, the lens hood isn't rigid as the step-up rings are and flexes when it bumps into something. The step-up (or step-down) rings don't have this flexibility so as in any structure the weakest part will fail if the bump is hard enough...where that "weakest part" is located I guess could be anywhere...threads in the adapters, threads in the lens,...??? I'm not saying that if you use the adapters that you're dooming your lens to damaged filter threads but rather that you *do* need to be aware of, and keep in mine, the possibilities.

As for the stacking rings versus the using specific rings that go from a small lens filter thread to a large filter thread in one adapter, I think I will prefer a specific-sized step-up ring rather than stacking several of the stacking-rings. The stacking-adapters will move the cpl further away from the lens whereas the rings made to adapt a specific lens to a specific filter size will keep the cpl relatively close to the lens and protrude out in front of the lens the least.

Now to find time to get out and try the cpl and ring on my 55mm Micro-Nikkor. :)

Ed

sponsored links

3,677 views & 0 likes for this thread
One 77mm CPL to cover all my lenses???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.