Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 11 Jun 2015 (Thursday) 11:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My employer takes draconian measures against posting photos online

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 11, 2015 11:17 |  #1

I think you might find this interesting...

I work for a very large transportation company. We recently got a memo from upper management concerning photography. In a nutshell...

Employees are no longer allowed to post to social media photos or videos of company property - including vehicles, buildings, or other employees.
Even if the photography is done when the employee is off the clock, or the images put the company in a positive light, it is still not allowed.

Employees are not allowed to post to the internet videos or photos of buses or trains that are being used throughout the city.

If an employee is caught using a smartphone to photograph or video company property or vehicles, their smartphone will be confiscated.
Their reason? The image captured is "data" that belongs to the company.

Any employee in violation of these rules may be terminated.

Sounds pretty draconian to me.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
sagray
Joined May 2008
Jun 11, 2015 11:25 |  #2

Sounds like an opportunity for a fun legal challenge.

40D, 5D (Classic)
Sigma 17-35 EX, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS), Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 135mm f/2L
2 AB400s, 1 Einstein, 2 Canon 580EXIIs, Canon 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, old Quantaray POS
flickrexternal link | Gray Imageryexternal link

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 11, 2015 11:27 |  #3

sagray wrote in post #17592921external link

I was thinking the same. But the cost to me would be too high.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,342 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jun 11, 2015 11:32 |  #4

I could see that if you are on the clock and the pictures taken on company property but once out in public, your employer looses all right of controlling what you can and cannot post.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jun 11, 2015 11:43 |  #5

Such measures are an amazing way to get your company pasquinaded all over the social-media-sphere.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Windsun33
138 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Phoenix AZ
Jun 11, 2015 11:54 |  #6

So what do they plan on doing about non-employees taking pictures? Not to mention that in most locales anything in public view is legal to photograph, with only a few exceptions in some cases.

Canon EOS 6D, EOS 70D | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX, Speedlite 600EX-RT

PhotosGuy
74,867 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jun 11, 2015 12:13 |  #7

Maybe the ACLU?

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17592927external link
I was thinking the same. But the cost to me would be too high.

I don't blame you. It's time to keep your head down while this plays out.

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17592907external link
If an employee is caught using a smartphone to photograph or video company property or vehicles, their smartphone will be confiscated.
Their reason? The image captured is "data" that belongs to the company.

Hopefully, someone on their legal team will get fired over this one! ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Jun 11, 2015 12:15 |  #8

Based on what?

gjl711 wrote in post #17592939external link
I could see that if you are on the clock and the pictures taken on company property but once out in public, your employer looses all right of controlling what you can and cannot post.

haha...not in my profession - teacher.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

John
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Jun 11, 2015 13:30 |  #9

I understand the concern if law enforcement prevented us from taking photos on public property or something like that but when it comes to private property, I don't see it as big of an issue.

I used to work for an investment bank, specifically on the trading floor on the public side. It was against policy for an employee to take photos or videos on trading floor except for a business purpose (in which case you'd need management approval). I didn't see it as a big issue.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jun 11, 2015 13:33 |  #10

Tell them to pound sand.

They cannot tell you that you what you can or cannot take photos of on your own time as long as it is not of their property taken ON their property.

Do you work for the NSA? lol

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Jun 11, 2015 13:37 |  #11

If it's a private/public+clandes​tine firm/company and property, I think they might be well within bounds. NSA, Intel, Samsung, Apple have such rules in place too, so lots of precedents/departments for other companies already. Check out your local laws to verify.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.
Jun 11, 2015 13:39 |  #12

Businesses now think they own their employees. Welcome to the new face of slavery.

employers wary of brand damage through social media are delving ever deeper into the personal spheres of their workers, demanding that even low-level employees tailor private communications and off-hours behaviour to uphold the corporate image

...a fast-encroaching corporate culture, in which employers view workers as full-time brand ambassadors, and life for almost all employees could be seen as an endless sequence of career hazards

Source: http://www.macleans.ca ...jobs/hes-fired-whos-next/external link

The boss is watching.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jun 11, 2015 13:55 |  #13

looks like the white woman who started a fight with a black teen is about to get fired for her part in the mess that went on down in Texas last weekend

http://www.dailykos.co​m ...ve-Leave-by-CoreLogic-Incexternal link

wrong as it may seem, getting fired for something you do while off work is not that unusual.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Jun 11, 2015 14:10 |  #14

The company I work for has a very similar policy for social media. Doesn't affect me, no plans to photograph work on my own time.

Galleryexternal link MyGearexternal link About Meexternal link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,269 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jun 11, 2015 14:18 |  #15

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17593073external link
Tell them to pound sand.

They cannot tell you that you what you can or cannot take photos of on your own time as long as it is not of their property taken ON their property.

Do you work for the NSA? lol

No matter who they work for, you can find yourself suddenly among those affected by 'Reduction in workForce, sorry to let you go'. Effectively, you are told 'Go pound sand into finer sand' simply because, and there is little avaiLable recourse when you are one of a few dozen.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

7,645 views & 9 likes for this thread
My employer takes draconian measures against posting photos online
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.