Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 18 Jun 2015 (Thursday) 19:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

QR setup for a Kaiser 6011 ball head?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jun 18, 2015 19:49 |  #1

I've got aKaiser 6011 ball head (external link) that I bought years ago. Never have had a quick release on it but would like to have one. The problem is that I know very little about quick releases. What I do know is that Arca-Swiss compatible quick releases are recommended highly...so I'll go with that type. I know that I need a clamp and a plate. That's about all I know.

I'm not even sure exactly how they would fit to my ball head. I *think* they would simply screw down on the camera mounting screw of the ball head tightening against the original flat camera mounting platform. Right?

Any recommendations on a set up for this ball head is appreciated. I'm still gazing toward the horizon for a new lens :) so I don't need to break the bank buying a QR setup, but, I also don't want something that will be insecure or weak that could drop and break my camera! :cry:

These are the ones that I'm currently looking at:

Induro QRT70 (external link) Nothing really negative mentioned in reviews $75
Giottos MH-656 (external link) - some reviews mentioned stem/knob broke off $50
3Pod Quick Release System (external link) - it was mentioned that the tightening knob rubbed top of tripod head. $30
Wimberly Clamp (external link) $79 This one doesn't show the Kaiser 6011 in it's compatibility list but it is an upgrade from a clamp that *was* compatible. No camera plate included. I've emailed the Wimberly about this.

Thanks for the help!!!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Jun 18, 2015 21:00 |  #2

Looks like the baseplate on your head might just unscrew and let you put the alternate plate on there. That's how Manfrotto's non-QR ballheads are, among others. There may be some Loctite or alternative on there which could make it difficult, but first thing I'd try is to unscrew the big round disk. If it won't unscrew, any clamp that mounts on a 1/4"-20 thread (or 3/8"-16 with a reducing bushing) should work.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jun 18, 2015 22:00 as a reply to Jon's post |  #3

Thanks for the reply, Jon. The baseplate does unscrew. In the distant past I had trouble with the baseplate unscrewing when the camera was tilted vertical and if I wasn't careful...the fix, as noted on the Wimberly site appears to be Loctite....apparently this one never had Loctite on it. Eventually this tendency to unscrew caused me to overtighten the baseplate which eventually caused the threaded insert in the baseplate to strip inside the plastic. I removed the metal insert the other day and epoxied it back in place...will have to see how it holds up. But, this prompted me to start looking for a QR.

Once the baseplate is removed it reveals the threaded stem of the ball. The end of the stem is notched in which the camera mounting bolt nestles down into. The bolt is "two-sided" having both a 1/4" sized bolt on one end and a 3/8" sized bolt on the other end. Screwing the platform down onto the stem "captures" and holds the camera mounting bolt in place.

Are the stems on different, but same size ball heads all the same size and thread pitch or do you think it wil be hit-and-miss trying to find one that will screw down on the threaded stem?

Thanks,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Jun 19, 2015 08:28 |  #4

Sounds like your head wants a 3/8-16 bolt to secure the QR clamp to it. So you'd need to look for a clamp that accepts one of those (or Loctite a reducing bushing to 1/4"-20 into the head); not all do - the metric M6 and 1/4"-20 pitch are other popular types. From the look of the heads you've linked, they're intended to attach to the existing mounting plate. This (external link), from Really Right Stuff, together with a 3/8"-16 to 1/4"-20 reducing bushing and a 1/4"-20 flathead screw, or their 3/8"-16 threaded stud would probably do the trick. You can give them a call and they'll be glad to help you work through the best route to take. If you go with that clamp, I think I'd suggest using the 3/8"16 stud route. Whatever you do, you'll want to Loctite it.

I have a head like that, I think, but it's not with me now. It's somebody else's brand name though.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

847 views & 0 likes for this thread
QR setup for a Kaiser 6011 ball head?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.