Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 18 Jun 2015 (Thursday) 21:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 5DS R, reviewed by wallstreetoneil

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND wallstreetoneil (showing now: wallstreetoneil)
Overall Ratingn/a
not rated
Overall Image Qualityn/a
not rated
Value for Moneyn/a
not rated
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Usen/a
not rated
Got What I Expectedn/a
not rated
AF Performancen/a
not rated
Handling and Ergonomicsn/a
not rated
User-interfacen/a
not rated
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 5DS R

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jun 18, 2015 21:47 |  #1

I would give the camera a 10/10 in terms of image quality and frankly I was surprised that high ISO was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be - this was a huge plus for sure.

In terms of the speed of the camera - this is the weakest point of the camera. If you are old enough, then we all remember when the computer we were using just became too slow to do what you wanted and then you went out and got a new machine and it felt so fast. This is where I think the internals of the camera, whatever it is, be it the bus size of the memory cards, etc, etc, it has that feel that when you are cycling through the pictures that you have to wait for the camera - thus on this score alone, something that the 5D3 or 7D2, my other cameras, I give this aspect of the camera a 4/10.

The speed looking at pictures was not something I thought was ever going to be a problem or an issue - but it is - if you know about the issue you won't be surprised to find it.

I have taken a bunch of pictures with it the last few days
- men's suits looking for moire (100-400 II IS - F5.6)
- bridal dresses looking for moire (100-400 II IS - F5.6)
- macro shots of flowers in my backyard (100L IS - F16)
- macro shot of the surface of my phone to see if I could see a fingerprint (unbelievable it works)
- birds eating at bird feeder at ISO (5000 to 12000) - with NR they are way better than I thought
- handheld 50L at 1/160 at F1.4, F1.8, F1.8) - couldn't get a tack sharp picture
- handheld a 35F2 @ F2 and 1/30 - unbelievable detail
- street photography with the 70-200 F4 IS - tack sharp at 1/40 no problem

I posted some comments about there being something about the 35 F2 at F2 being kind of magical / medium format feel - I got negative comments people didn't agree - a poster who has a A7R sort of agreed that he sees the same thing - I believe what is happening is that traditional wide aperture shots F1.4 to F2 from you are use to sharp eyeball fading to soft bokeh behind - but with camera it is much sharper, much more detailed and when it fades into the bokeh it creates a different feel to the picture - it is stunning but different

This sensor was designed for lenses that come with IS - I don't want to carry a tripod to use this camera - you thus need IS lenses because they enable you to stay in the sweet part of the ISO range with low shutter speeds - and then this picture come out crazy tack sharp with detail that you can't believe.

You want a light street setup
- 35F2 IS
- 70-200 F4 IS
- haven't tried it yet but may even bring the 24-105 IS to see how much better it can be

Love the fact that the camera has Auto ISO with EC (thank you Canon)

Because this camera makes you think about detail, my mindset changes to think about using smaller, sharper apertures to see how much detail I can get - I have to say this has changed me a bit from how I usually think pushing me higher up the F-Stops (at least in the first few days)

My earlier comment about wider apertures and the way these images pop off the screen and then blend into the bokeh - again I didn't expect this would happen but it is different enough from the 5D3 that it is a real thing that when you see it there is no denying that a 'regular' camera doesn't produce this type of image.

This is a specialty camera but I love it because every time you are about to press the button, your brain is telling you that this better be a good picture, your technique better be good to extract the detail - because if you are going to create this huge file, it will be slower to process, etc - and I think it is a good thing that this was happening to me.

I would like to compare and contrast the above to when I bring the 7D2 to family events, put the 35F2 on it and then just put in the kids' faces and hold the trigger down and 30 images later I have created a little movie and they are laughing at the crazy shutter speed - and thus it creates great pictures because of the machine gun sound / laughing effect - this exactly not what the 5DSR does to your brain when you are thinking about pushing the shutter button.

When you then take the two cameras together (7D2, 5DSR), they almost make a perfect pair because of how different they are. I think most people would likely easily fall into the camp that a 5D3 / 6D / 70D / Rebel 6? are better 1 camera choices - and they would be right. The last wedding I shot I decided for the first time to carry 3 bodies, 2 5D3s but also the 7D2. It took me many days to think about the different parts of the day and what lenses would be on each camera because my tradition 24-70 on one 5D3 and the 70-200 on the other (later to usually switch to primes) became a very complicated decision because I know that the 70-200 2.8 on the 7D2, in certain parts of day would be far better than having it on the 5D3 - and thus for the first time ever I put the 70-200 2.8 II IS on the 7D2 and placed a 35L on the other 5D3 - and I used those lenses happily the entire day without needing another lens (I did use the 100L when I first arrived for some detail shots of the rings).

All the above said, next wedding I can state that the 5DSR will be one of the cameras and I will try and use it as much as possible to get the detail that I know is now possible - and one of my 5D3s is going to stay in the bag or stay home - or be sold. For me now, this cameras must be used to get that detail that is possible - once you have seen it you want it. But, that then leaves the question of what lens is going on the camera? I don't have the answer yet but I know categorically it will be a lens with IS or is it going to have a RRS L bracket on it and just be used for the portraits with a monopod or tripod which will depend on the location / time / etc.

My thinking is my new setup might be:
- 5D3 with 24-70 2.8 II - switch to 50L later
- 7D2 with 70-200 2.8 II all day
- 5DSR with 100L (on arrival), switch to 70-200 F4 IS for portraits (F4, F5.6 and F8 are tack sharp on that lens + IS), then 35F2 later

Conclusions
- the image quality is amazing with the tack sharp lenses (70-200, 100-400).
- moire not a problem on wedding dresses - maybe possible of some crazy suits
- love the way large aperture images pop
- the camera isn't fast, it's slow, when reviewing images in camera
- you will want IS lenses

For its purpose, I easily give the camera a 10/10.
As an overall camera - I would give it a 5/10 - machine gun to a knife fight (not the correct tool)

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links
SOX ­ 404
574 posts
Joined Jun 2006
I'm a nomad
Jun 18, 2015 22:02 |  #2

Show us some photos then... :-)

AJ
1 x Canon 5DSR | 2 x Canon 5D2 | 8-15L | 16-35L | 17-40L (dead) | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 180L | 70-200 2.8L IS
Aquatica UW Housing | INON Z240 | Ikelite DS-161 | Sola 600 | 2 x Sola 2000
My Flickr  (external link)

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jun 18, 2015 22:14 as a reply to SOX 404's post |  #3

already posted a few different threads

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,407 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Toronto
Jun 19, 2015 08:33 |  #4

Nice review. I'm a little confused why you stress IS lenses so much for this camera. All cameras will benefit from IS in a low light / handheld setting. I'm guessing with the high resolution any shake will be noticeable when looking at the detail. Unless restricted for some reason, I carry a tripod. I have also not understood why so many youtube reviws were saying this is a "studio portrait" camera.

Being my primary focus is landscape photography, I think the high resolution will benefit me. Especially considering I like to sell big prints! If I want speed, I'll grab the 7D2.

My primary camera when shooting landscapes has been the 5D2, so the quicker fps, 61 focus points to align the horizon (lol) & higher resolution of the 5DSr should be a nice step up. One question, if you don't mind answering, does the 5DSr have the options of bracketing like the 7D2: 2, 3, 5, 7 shots?

I'm off to find your sample picture thread now...

Thanks again for posting review!

His And Her Photographsexternal link
flickrexternal link

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jun 19, 2015 10:13 as a reply to JJD.Photography's post |  #5

yes to bracketing - same as 7D2

IS for sure if handholding if you want 1/FL SS

just did a bunch of tripod shots works awesome at low SS

i really try where possible NOT to use high ISOs so i want as low SS as possible and my experiment with the 50L vs the 35 F2 just highlighted this point in the most eye opening way - tack sharp at 1/30th with the 35 F2 @ F2 - but struggled at 1/160 with the 50L (all handheld)

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,407 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Toronto
Jun 19, 2015 19:26 |  #6

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17603200 (external link)
yes to bracketing - same as 7D2

IS for sure if handholding if you want 1/FL SS

just did a bunch of tripod shots works awesome at low SS

i really try where possible NOT to use high ISOs so i want as low SS as possible and my experiment with the 50L vs the 35 F2 just highlighted this point in the most eye opening way - tack sharp at 1/30th with the 35 F2 @ F2 - but struggled at 1/160 with the 50L (all handheld)

Great to know, thank you. How's the buffer with high speed shooting or bracketing 5 or 7 shots? Are you using high speed cards?

His And Her Photographsexternal link
flickrexternal link

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jun 19, 2015 19:45 |  #7

JJD.Photography wrote in post #17603834 (external link)
Great to know, thank you. How's the buffer with high speed shooting or bracketing 5 or 7 shots? Are you using high speed cards?

not sure why you would ever bracket 7 shots but I just tried a 5 shot and no problem

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jun 20, 2015 07:07 |  #8

JJD.Photography wrote in post #17603834 (external link)
Are you using high speed cards?

I'm using:
- Lexar 1066x 32GB CF UDMA 7
- SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 32GB

There are faster cards but those are pretty fast.

I may go to a store and test out even faster cards so see if it makes a difference.

I find the issue is reviewing, in camera, the pictures - i.e. spinning the thumb wheel to quickly look at the images - it just does not work like the 5D3 or 7D2 where there is zero delay - the camera starts quickly bogging so I'm not exactly sure it is the cards but I think the internal buffers that are grabbing the images off the card to display them on the lcd may be the issue.

wallstreetoneil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jun 20, 2015 16:30 |  #9

did a follow up on testing out the fastest memory cards possible in the new 5DSR

makes no difference

the issue really only appears when you want to quickly review a bunch of pictures that you have taken - once you start spinning the rear wheel looking at the picture that is when the delay happens - it doesn't get completely bogged down but it slows and you have to wait for the camera - not like a 7D2 of 5D3 where there is no issue

my guess is that it is some kind of internal buffer / raw to jpg issue as and not a card reading issue

it is not an issue if you shoot in only in jpg mode (maybe some sports shooters) and I think it is very slightly less of an issue if you choose small raw - but full raw or medium raw and the attempt to fast review files is met with the camera slowing you down - just enough to piss you off

but, the images are awesome

ECC233
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
Switzerland
Jul 13, 2015 01:35 as a reply to wallstreetoneil's post |  #10

wallstreetetc

I agree with you that the review process is slower than 5d3, but it does not bother me (I have two 5dsr). It would bother me if the camera were a fast action machine that allowed spray and pray techniques, but it isn't. I tend not to review much other than the latest image and then do weeding out after transfer to my laptop. However, there is a simple workaround of saving raw to CF and jpg to SD and then reviewing the jpg in camera. This seems blitz-fast.

Cheers

Ed

sponsored links

4,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5DS R, reviewed by wallstreetoneil
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.