Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 21 Jun 2015 (Sunday) 15:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 5DS, reviewed by Hatch1921

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Hatch1921 (showing now: Hatch1921)
Overall Rating10
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money10
Must Have9.5
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance10
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 5DS

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 21, 2015 15:51 |  #1

I'll make this just the initial review as I've only had the camera for a week now.

First impressions.... WOW!

I want to go back to every place I've ever photographed and shoot it again. I ... like many as of you will discover when you buy this camera or the "R", we have been missing out on details. The 5D3 is a great camera... but... making the jump to the "S" or the "R" is simply on another level. No BS! The sensor is performing magic or voodoo as all my lenses are just plain better. The Zeiss 135 T* f/2 I purchased along with the camera is an amazing compliment to this system. The camera/lens combo captures details I never knew I was missing while shooting the 5D3.

Back to the camera....

If you have a 5 series camera... it feels natural to shoot this one. The menu system has a few extra options for you to choose from.

Here's the link to the Canon page with all the features. http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...os_5ds#DriversAndSo​ftware (external link)

I didn't want to bore you with all the tech specs.

Performance wise... ISO 1600 is very clean (I hardly ever venture in this realm with my shooting style)
The processors write the huge files very fast... I haven't had to wait on anything to continue shooting.

The RAW files are coming out at about 55-65mb per shot... so... buy large and fast memory cards.

Images @ 240 resolution are 24x36 right out of the camera. So.... if you need to crop... boy to you have the room to do it.

So... for my first impressions about the camera... it's a winner all day long. If you are in the market... and it's in the budget... get it. Or the "R"

Hatch

A few shots...

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3814/18983846172_73ae939b34_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uVxb​5C] (external link)Morning Light (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/347/18801601948_9e72427961_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uDr8​dQ] (external link)Desert Rose (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/337/18801578550_0f1d1a1753_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uDr1​gq] (external link)Purple in the desert (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/470/18284320734_ee95cfa1fb_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/tRHV​xd] (external link)100 percent Jinx (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3709/18719233350_0519275e7d_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uw9X​UA] (external link)Zeiss 135_-0276 (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/329/18719212478_1e498caa8d_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uw9R​GJ] (external link)100 estrella eye (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More! (external link)
MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

sponsored links
knak
Joined Mar 2011
South Suburbs of Chicago
Jun 21, 2015 19:07 |  #2

Great images, I was backordered on the 5dsr, I wish it would arrive soon!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS M, EOS 5DS R | Fujifilm X-T1 | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 11-24mm F4L USM | Fujifilm Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R, Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8, Fujinon 50-140mm f/2.8, Fujinon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR, Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 R, Fujinon XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro, XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR | Lensbaby Composer Pro | Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX, Speedlite 580EX II

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 21, 2015 19:11 |  #3

knak wrote in post #17605781 (external link)
Great images, I was backordered on the 5dsr, I wish it would arrive soon!

Many thanks! I was on that same list... had the "R" on order... couldn't wait any longer. No regrets... loving the "S".

Hatch

Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Jun 22, 2015 08:17 |  #4

Great review as always, Hatch. With the A7rii coming out, it seems the 5Ds is being overlooked a little. Thanks for letting us know what this camera is capable of!

I do have a few questions:

--Did you have a hard time shooting hand-held with non-IS lenses?
--Did anything in particular make up pick up the Z135? IIRC you were a happy 135L user, but maybe I was thinking of your 200 2.8 review.
--Any buffer issues?

Thanks in advance!

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

lozw
Joined May 2014
Thames Valley, UK
Jun 22, 2015 11:29 |  #5

I thought you said the images were detailed?
But I can't read the licence plate on your car. ;-)a

Only kidding :-)

Looks awesome.

flickrexternal link

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 22, 2015 13:43 |  #6

mickeyb105 wrote in post #17606295 (external link)
Great review as always, Hatch. With the A7rii coming out, it seems the 5Ds is being overlooked a little. Thanks for letting us know what this camera is capable of!

I do have a few questions:

--Did you have a hard time shooting hand-held with non-IS lenses?
--Did anything in particular make up pick up the Z135? IIRC you were a happy 135L user, but maybe I was thinking of your 200 2.8 review.
--Any buffer issues?

Thanks in advance!

-Did you have a hard time shooting hand-held with non-IS lenses?

As long as the shutter speeds are up... it's not a challenge IMO. Depends on the person. I'm(fortunately)pretty steady when it comes to hand-held shooting. Lots of practice with MF shooting macro. Now... with the higher resolution camera and non IS/Manual Zeiss in the mix... my plans are to use the monopod/tripod more. I really enjoyed using live view( first time) this weekend to achieve critical focus @ f/2. But, it's not all that hard doing that hand-held.

Well... I will start by saying I love both the Canon lenses you mentioned. For the money.. just very hard to beat. I've wanted to give Zeiss glass a try and of course being MF... this is a downfall to many people. My style of shooting... I don't find it to be an issue.

Have a look at this image. It was one of my first shots with the 5Ds/Zeiss 135mm. I was truly floored! Not that it was sharp @f/2 I was able to get shots close to this with the Canon 135L. What floored me was NO CA! None... nada... If I would have taken this with the Canon the purple demon would have raised its ugly head. Take the same shot with the Canon 85L II and OMG would the CA be bad. :) I've read on a few posts that from Zeiss ... this is an Otus level lens without the Otus design. It is true to color... SUPER sharp... and no CA. The focus ring is a breeze to use. I do think if you need to shoot moving subject this wouldn't be my lens of choice. Anything else... it's a pleasure to shoot.

The 5Ds has brought my lenses to another level... the camera can take full advantage of what the lens is providing. I feel like ... and I didn't know it of course... that I missed out on a lot of detail on the 5D3. Still the 5D3 is great... as I mentioned above... this camera is on another level.

Any buffer issues?
Nope :) Using 1066x 32gb cards... and from the small amount of continuous shooting I haven't noticed any buffer issues. Then again... I haven't just laid on the shutter button to see how far it will go.

I HIGHLY recommend this camera to anyone who has the means/need/want.... I've had several good .... "Holy Sh*t" moments when reviewing images. And it's only been a week. I can't wait to do a proper shoot in studio or on location with it.

Hope some of this info helps :) I agree with you... Sony's marketing team were very smart with the time of their launch. I do envision this camera will catch on when people start reading about its performance from everyday shooters. The images from DP review ...Canon... and a few other places almost made me not buy the camera. A couple YouTube videos from pro shooters got me back in the game. :) So glad I made the move to this camera. I honestly can't see me moving to another body for a very long time. It's just that great!

I'm babbling! ROFL!

Have a fun day.
Hatch

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 22, 2015 13:43 |  #7

lozw wrote in post #17606489 (external link)
I thought you said the images were detailed?
But I can't read the licence plate on your car. ;-)a

Only kidding :-)

Looks awesome.

Many thanks Lozw.

Hatch

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 22, 2015 13:45 |  #8

@Mickey...

I forgot the link to the image I mentioned.

https://www.flickr.com ...1921/18877041291/si​zes/o/ (external link)

Hatch

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Jun 23, 2015 00:30 as a reply to Hatch1921's post |  #9

Thank you for the very detailed reply, you've given us all a lot to chew on! The bokeh on that Z135 is crazy creamy. The link you provided really speaks to the detail the 5Ds is capable of as well.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by clipper_from_oz. 3 edits done in total.
Jun 23, 2015 04:16 |  #10

Hatch1921 wrote in post #17606609 (external link)
-Did you have a hard time shooting hand-held with non-IS lenses?

As long as the shutter speeds are up... it's not a challenge IMO. Depends on the person. I'm(fortunately)pretty steady when it comes to hand-held shooting. Lots of practice with MF shooting macro. Now... with the higher resolution camera and non IS/Manual Zeiss in the mix... my plans are to use the monopod/tripod more. I really enjoyed using live view( first time) this weekend to achieve critical focus @ f/2. But, it's not all that hard doing that hand-held.

Not wrong about as long as shutter speeds are up there!

My old dust pump 100-400Mk1 just couldnt keep things steady at lower shutter speeds with its old style IS when handheld on the 5DSR at lower shutter speeds...The 5dsr was so unforgiving on this lens......At 400mm end with IS on I was getting shake /softness evident at 1/250th second when I viewed images enlarged....Im sure some shake was always around on my older 5d2 but I just didnt notice it as much as I did with this gorilla camera. So the other day I decided to ring Canon Professional Services regarding the Mk1 softness/IS shake at lower range handheld shutter speeds to see what they said........And they were quite catagoric I would be wise to move up to the MK2 for its better IQ and IS that was more suited to the 5dsr resolution increase. Basically they said that my old trusty dust pump would not allow the 5DSR to realise all its capabilities and to continue to use it would be basically negating any advantage the 5DSR gave me in increased sharpness/IQ etc via its new 50megapixel image ............. So 2 days after forking out AUD$5200 for the 5dsr body I bit the bullet and upgraded to the Mk2 100-400 at another cost of AUD$2600!........ I was starting to feel like Greece's debt crisis owing my Credit Card Co all that money spent on this new camera! ..........Anyway Im pleased to say it was worth every penny I spent... To describe the difference it was like a fog had suddenly been lifted. I was able to use at least 2-3 stops lower than the Mk1 with no noteicable shake and getting down as far as 1/50th of a sec handheld at the 400mm end ......with all images nice and sharp at 100% even wide open....Infact MK2 images were sharper at all speeds and Zoom lengths compared to the MK1 . Not to mention the better contrast/colors I was seeing and the fast fast AF lockon!....... All of a sudden my 5DSR had sprung to life and was giving me the wow factor I was missing . also now lhave a nagging thought that the 24-70mm MK1 will not be up to it either but thats for another day..And another round of shooting and viewing to see whats going on with that huge 50 megapixel image ..... however Im avoiding this until I have to..... I think I will just shoot and hope for the best but now Ive seen the difference on the 100-400 MK1 & 2 Im half expecting to at least see some image contrast sharpness difference from just the new updated optics.....With no IS on the MK2 to me the only advantage may be some increased optical sharpness and contrast that the new optics may make.....We will see...... Clipper

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
Fujinon XF 18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2macro & XF 18-55f2.8-4.5
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 23, 2015 06:03 |  #11

mickeyb105 wrote in post #17607198 (external link)
Thank you for the very detailed reply, you've given us all a lot to chew on! The bokeh on that Z135 is crazy creamy. The link you provided really speaks to the detail the 5Ds is capable of as well.

The Ziess 135 is something else... http://www.lensrentals​.com (external link) if you want to give it a try. The rental fee isn't all that bad. Not to mention, Zeiss is running a sale on it's glass at the moment :) It might be a good time to jump in?

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 23, 2015 06:08 as a reply to clipper_from_oz's post |  #12

I had read some reviews about the new 5Ds/r and how the need for the newer glass might be there. Some people mentioned the older lenses performed really well on the new bodies but the latest glass was amazing. I've tested my lenses and I have to agree. With the older glass there is an noticeable improvement with the bigger/better sensor. With a couple of the newer lenses... just WOW! The Zeiss has ruined me.... it's now my reference lens... and I foresee a few more Zeiss lenses being added to the bag. :) I really want to rent the Canon 20mm F/2 and shoot it on this camera.... I think it would be a great combo as well.

Congrats on the new 100-400. I rented one a couple of months ago and I noticed a big improvement even on the 5D3 over the MK1 version. So.. being on the 5Ds/r... that lens has to a winner. Sharp wide open as you mentioned... colors look great.. and the IS is much improved.

Hatch

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jun 23, 2015 23:11 |  #13

No retouching... a screen shot showing the details (good and bad) being captured by the 5Ds and Zeiss 135mm T*.

Be sure to click on the link and view the original file. Tons and tons of detail.

Hatch

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/515/18917001390_102bd8038f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uPCz​so] (external link)ZeissScreenShot (external link) by hatch1921 (external link), on Flickr

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Jun 24, 2015 07:22 |  #14

Hatch1921 wrote in post #17607391 (external link)
I really want to rent the Canon 20mm F/2 and shoot it on this camera.... I think it would be a great combo as well.

Hatch

I will be interested to see what minimum you can shoot the 20mmprime at handheld before shake sis evident in the image....

I spoke to Canon Professional Services today and they said that for people that mainly handheld the 5dsr they should using IS lens.....Even at the wide end......I couldnt believe I was hearing this from Canon.....They even said that for non IS primes like 20mm etc people should use double the speed of the lens size as rule of thumb....not the old rule of equaling the lens size with shutter speed ..So .that would mean the 20mm prime would have to be shot at least 1/30th /1/40th sec min shutter speed to stay sharp....even though the lens is wide angle....

Clipper

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
Fujinon XF 18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2macro & XF 18-55f2.8-4.5
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

Hatch1921
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Hatch1921.
Jun 24, 2015 07:57 as a reply to clipper_from_oz's post |  #15

CORRECTION*** I want to rent the Canon 200mm F/2.0 and give it a go. :)

Hatch

sponsored links

16,363 views & 13 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5DS, reviewed by Hatch1921
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.