Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 24 Jun 2015 (Wednesday) 00:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mathematically speaking

Andy ­ R
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
So Cal
Jun 24, 2015 00:02 |  #1

I have a random question, would a 5D2 @400mm give me more resolution than a 1D3 @400 on the same subject after cropping to the same field of view in post?

5Dii ~ SL1
Rok 14mm ~ 24 STM ~ 24-70L f4 IS ~ 50 f1.8 STM ~ 70-200 f4 IS ~ 1.4xii & 2xii

sponsored links
smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Jun 24, 2015 00:15 |  #2

yes, I believe so. by my quick calculations, the 5d2 should have about 20% more pixels in the same FOV

Gear List

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,633 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Jun 24, 2015 02:10 |  #3

Correct. 21/1.3^2=12.

Anders

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jun 24, 2015 17:59 |  #4

As the other posters have correctly stated the 5D2 would give you more Pixels on target, but would it give you a better image? The reason I ask this is that for 3 months I had the Canon 1D4 and 1Dx alongside each other. I very quickly noticed the higher resolution of the 1DX even when cropped, to equal/exceed the reach of the 1D4, yet it's pixel density is significantly lower.
I am not saying that the 1D3 or the 5D2 is superior, as I simply don't know, but I have seen that pixels are not everything if you are after resolution in your final images.
Just food for thought.......

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Andy ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
So Cal
Jun 25, 2015 22:49 |  #5

Thanks for all the responses, as for your point john I'll have to do some testing.

5Dii ~ SL1

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX.
Jun 26, 2015 14:18 |  #6

Andy R wrote in post #17608595 (external link)
I have a random question, would a 5D2 @400mm give me more resolution than a 1D3 @400 on the same subject after cropping to the same field of view in post?

Heya,

As others have already stated, the answer is basically yes. But, it's not significantly so. It's only by 2 megapixels. I would put this into perspective, because you may find that's not really a big trade off. Personally, I look at the features here. You're giving up 2 megapixels of resolution, basically, to gain the speed of FPS (which is drastically different) and the way better AF system (faster, more aggressive, more points, not even close here). To me, 2 megapixels of resolution isn't worth the loss of the AF & FPS of the 1D3, if you're cropping the image to the same size and losing that tiny bit of resolution.

On that note, APS-C's with resolutions of 18MP or greater, are where full frame will not match the resolution at same cropped size. Only the new 50MP stuff, cropped, has the same pixel resolution as the modern APS-C's do (let alone APS-H, which they seem to have dropped in favor of full frames after the 1D4).

If you want a similar system that is more modern, you could swap your 1D3 for a 70D at nearly the same cost (sell for $600~700, buy 70D for $700 refurb). Tons of resolution, really good AF system, relatively fast, wifi, MFA, etc.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Andy ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
So Cal
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Andy R.
Aug 16, 2015 17:29 as a reply to johnf3f's post |  #7

After some testing and trial, the 5D2 produces better images than the 1D at the same crop, but getting the shot was the issue- the 1D's AF and buffer not something worth the extra IQ. The 1D can keep going where the 5D fills up quickly and the 1D tracking much more accurately. If it's a stationary object the 5D will win, but if it's moving the 1D wins everyday!

5Dii ~ SL1

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,742 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 16, 2015 17:41 as a reply to Andy R's post |  #8

I am not surprised at your findings. The 5D2 is excellent at taking images, the 1 Series cameras are better at "Capturing" images under any and all conditions - probably why they are so expensive!
If you have a little time, might only be a second or two, then a 5 series will give good performance and excellent images. If you need to be focused and shooting before you have thought about it then a 1 Series is the way to go.
It's just horses for courses, I prefer 1 series cameras for my needs but a 5 series will take just as good images - they are just not quite as quick!

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,633 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Aug 16, 2015 23:36 |  #9

It wasn't until the 5D Mark III that Canon specified the 5D-series with an AF system and such stuff equivalent with what you'll find in a 1D-series camera. Then the 5D became good at capturing too, albeit still not with the same frame rate. You have to be better att pressing the trigger button...

Anders

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,742 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 17, 2015 17:16 as a reply to apersson850's post |  #10

Yes Canon came up with a very versatile camera with the 5D3. Whilst the AF and fps are not up to 1DX standards they are enough for the vast majority of shooters in all but the most critical situations and it is so much cheaper!

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,633 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Aug 20, 2015 14:34 |  #11

At least the AF has almost all the functions you find in the 1DX. And the performance is probably good enough for the significantly lower frame rate.

I don't think the pictures I take would have been inferior if I had a 5D Mark III instead of the 1DX, but it's more fun shooting crappy pictures with a 1DX...
Besides, I thought it was about time to try out a top model from Canon again, and the 1DX is the first 1D model I've found really tempting. Last time I was using a top of the line version from Canon it was called the F-1, so that's many years ago...

Anders

sponsored links

2,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mathematically speaking
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.