Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 26 Jun 2015 (Friday) 15:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, reviewed by alexvtr

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND alexvtr (showing now: alexvtr)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality8
Value for Money10
Bokeh6
Sharpness8
Contrast8
Focusing7
Must Have8
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

alexvtr
Joined Nov 2012
Montreal, QC
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by alexvtr.
Jun 26, 2015 15:53 |  #1

I'll keep it short since I just bought it. It's more my first impressions than an in-depth review.

Context: I used to own the non-STM version of this lens so I can compare both. My camera body is a 60D.

1- Build quality (zoom ring / barrel): Surprisingly smooth when zooming, really no play when extending.

2- Auto focus: Pretty quick, noticeably quicker than the previous version. I guess it takes a little to get used to it as it's almost too quiet.

3- Manual focus: Although it's nice to have full time manual focus, the fact that the ring can turn indefinitely is disconcerting. Never too sure if there's more to focus or if you already reached the end of the range... Weird. Another characteristic to get used to I guess. Doesn't spin as freely as the previous version (which is good; makes it feel better built) but I'd like it to be a little more dampened (especially since it's STM, there's nothing to feel as it's not mechanically linked to the lens).

4- Image quality: Surprisingly good. I haven't had time to do a full range of testing, but so far, it's very sharp. Corners and centre, doesn't matter, it's clean.

5- IS: Super effective. Give it 1/2 to 1 sec to get up to speed. Once active, the effect in the viewfinder makes you think you're a hero at hand holding a telezoom!

6- Plastic mount: I couldn't care less... It mounts securely and stays super stable on the body.

7- Balance on a 60D body: Feels great, well balanced. The 60D has a decent grip for the right hand and with this lens, the grip on the left hand feels balanced to the other hand.

That's what I have in mind for now. I'll update if I discover anything else. If there's something I haven't covered you're interested in, let me know!

Canon EOS 60D | Canon EF 35mm f/2, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon Speedlite 430 EX

sponsored links
Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Jul 03, 2015 22:10 |  #2

Sounds good to me, i also used to have the original mk 1 "nifty two fifty" supposed to be darn good at 250 as well, so all is good.

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Iowa
Jul 05, 2015 19:05 |  #3

Good review.;-)a

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

chaturanga
58 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Jul 23, 2015 07:34 |  #4

Thanks for review, I will buy this or Tamron 70-300 VC version.

alexvtr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Montreal, QC
Jul 23, 2015 09:09 as a reply to chaturanga's post |  #5

Since the first post, I found some time to put the lens through its paces, mostly at a junior soccer game.

The conditions were quite demanding since it was in the evening (7:30 - 8:30 PM) and the field was not lighted.
IS is REALLY good on this lens. Obviously at 1/1000 + shutter speed, it's fine.

But I was looking to induce some motion blur in some panning shots and managed to get surprisingly good results around 1/80 @ 135 - 250mm. (despite not being the sharpest shooter and having very little practice in the last months).

Flare was also a non-issue.

I did the whole game using exclusively centre-point focus point and focusing speed was great.

It's never going to compare to a 70-200 2.8 IS II (which is my all-time favourite lens) but I don't think I'll ever rent the 100-400 ever again (which I did on a few occasions). It doesn't have as much reach, but IS being massively superior, my keeper rate has been better on the little 55-250.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Canon EOS 60D | Canon EF 35mm f/2, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon Speedlite 430 EX

HogansHeroes
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Iowa
Jul 23, 2015 15:20 as a reply to alexvtr's post |  #6

Did you have the non STM version now or before this one?

Wondering what improvement you saw.

Impressive though for sure..

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

alexvtr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Montreal, QC
Jul 24, 2015 08:33 |  #7

HogansHeroes wrote in post #17641943 (external link)
Did you have the non STM version now or before this one?

Wondering what improvement you saw.

Impressive though for sure..

I used to have the previous version (sold it +/- 1 year ago).
Agreed, it's not scientific or anything... testing side by side would be much more conclusive.
But I never liked the feel of the previous version and I never enjoyed the results I got like I do with this new one.

For the price, I say this is hard to beat. And being a relatively new lens, it should keep its resale value for a while.

Pagman
Joined Dec 2011
Jul 24, 2015 10:03 |  #8

alexvtr wrote in post #17642678 (external link)
I used to have the previous version (sold it +/- 1 year ago).
Agreed, it's not scientific or anything... testing side by side would be much more conclusive.
But I never liked the feel of the previous version and I never enjoyed the results I got like I do with this new one.

For the price, I say this is hard to beat. And being a relatively new lens, it should keep its resale value for a while.

Yep and price wise at just the other side of £110 over here, thats a Bargain:-)

P.

Pagman
Joined Dec 2011
Jul 24, 2015 20:46 |  #9

Here is a pic from this great little lens, take no notice of the pic exposure it was one of my first in my 7d, and I really messed up the exposure - way to low and in the wrong ISO - that taught me a lesson about not relying on auto ISO.
Anyway I had to bring it up the best I could in post - It does show how sharp the lens is and how accurate the focus is - this was just a grab shot and I was not really paying much attention to the gull or tracking it.

P.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

wizzells
Joined Feb 2012
Jul 27, 2015 19:35 |  #10

I agree with most of your comments on this lens.
It's definitely better than the non-STM version both optically and as far as IS and focus speed are concerned.

For my applications, there's no way this lens could fill the void of the 100-400L v2, which has vastly improved IS over the older version.
I just rented one for about a week and found the optics to be superior to the already good 55-250 STM, but it's out of my price range for now.

alexvtr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Montreal, QC
Jul 29, 2015 12:40 |  #11

wizzells wrote in post #17646644 (external link)
I agree with most of your comments on this lens.
It's definitely better than the non-STM version both optically and as far as IS and focus speed are concerned.

For my applications, there's no way this lens could fill the void of the 100-400L v2, which has vastly improved IS over the older version.
I just rented one for about a week and found the optics to be superior to the already good 55-250 STM, but it's out of my price range for now.

Right... when I mentioned the 100-400, I was referring to the MK1... I never had the chance to try the new one. It certainly is much improved and I have no problem believing it beats the 55-250 STM hands down. But then, it's like 10X the price, so there's that! :-)

J-Dog
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 31, 2017 05:03 |  #12

Bought the STM version a couple of week ago and have to say for the price it is astounding.
This is a perfect lens for those who cant afford the more expensive alternatives or wouldn't want to risk very expensive lenses in certain situations.

senamit
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Dec 10, 2017 10:05 |  #13

Really looking forward to owning this lens.

sponsored links

4,177 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, reviewed by alexvtr
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.