Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 26 Jun 2015 (Friday) 17:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 70D, reviewed by Azathoth

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Azathoth (showing now: Azathoth)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality8.5
Value for Money9
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected9.5
AF Performance9.5
Handling and Ergonomics9.5
User-interface9.5
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 70D

Azathoth
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Jun 26, 2015 17:53 |  #1

Pros:
- Good grip, button location (except the dof button, see below)
- Liveview autofocus: quick and accurate, no need to use manual focus on a tripod no more;
- Good for sports: 7 fps and 19 all cross type focus points;
- Articulated LCD screen: very handy when taking shots using a tripod;
- electronic level in the viewfinder: no more tilted shots!
- High ISO shots at jpeg: multi-exposure noise reduction does magic;
- Brighter viewfinder compared to the lower end Canon DSLR's;
- Extra detail with the 20 MP sensor;
- LCD screen: big, nice colors and good detail;
- Top LCD screen and back wheel;

Cons:
- Depth of field button location: try zooming, focusing and maintaining the button pressed at the same time for a handheld macro shot: very difficult. Can't understand why can't i assign that to the set button on the back of the camera like on the 1100D.
- No dedicated wb button: seriously? Cmon! It's faster and easier to switch the wb on my 1100d....
- No dual card slots;
- Cursor buttons could have a better feel;

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
bbqKing
"...less likely to get nailed"
1,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006
At the corner of Brush Hogging and Hay For Sale
Jul 26, 2015 18:58 |  #2

Thanks for the review......trying to decide between 70 d and 7d

Luxx
454 posts
Joined Jan 2013
St Louis
Jul 26, 2015 19:09 as a reply to bbqKing's post |  #3

I got 70D instead of 7D…went through the same decision last winter. video and sensor vs durability. prices have continued to come down on both.

bbqKing
"...less likely to get nailed"
1,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006
At the corner of Brush Hogging and Hay For Sale
Jul 26, 2015 21:44 |  #4

I think I'm going with the 70d

Azathoth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Jul 27, 2015 17:15 as a reply to bbqKing's post |  #5

If you shoot only sports go for the 7D. If you want a general purpose camera get the 70D.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

mtbdudex
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
SE Michigan
Aug 01, 2015 08:26 |  #6

Azathoth wrote in post #17611732 (external link)
Pros:
- Good grip, button location (except the dof button, see below)
- Liveview autofocus: quick and accurate, no need to use manual focus on a tripod no more;
- Good for sports: 7 fps and 19 all cross type focus points;
- Articulated LCD screen: very handy when taking shots using a tripod;
- electronic level in the viewfinder: no more tilted shots!
- High ISO shots at jpeg: multi-exposure noise reduction does magic;
- Brighter viewfinder compared to the lower end Canon DSLR's;
- Extra detail with the 20 MP sensor;
- LCD screen: big, nice colors and good detail;
- Top LCD screen and back wheel;

Cons:
- Depth of field button location: try zooming, focusing and maintaining the button pressed at the same time for a handheld macro shot: very difficult. Can't understand why can't i assign that to the set button on the back of the camera like on the 1100D.
- No dedicated wb button: seriously? Cmon! It's faster and easier to switch the wb on my 1100d....
- No dual card slots;
- Cursor buttons could have a better feel;

I've had my 70D since May-2014 and mostly agree with you.
2 things:
a) you shoot jpeg not RAW? RAW wb can be easily changed in post
b) with my 64GB card it holds over 999 RAW images, fact is I have a 2nd 64GB card and on recent 2 week vacation never needed to use that. Dual slot not needed (IMO)

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

Azathoth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Aug 01, 2015 17:48 |  #7

mtbdudex wrote in post #17652332 (external link)
I've had my 70D since May-2014 and mostly agree with you.
2 things:
a) you shoot jpeg not RAW? RAW wb can be easily changed in post
b) with my 64GB card it holds over 999 RAW images, fact is I have a 2nd 64GB card and on recent 2 week vacation never needed to use that. Dual slot not needed (IMO)

a) I shoot mostly in raw and i like to get things right straight out of the camera. The 1DX has a dedicated wb button. Do 1Dx users shoot all jpeg?
b) Dual slot needed for backup.

nighthawk82
Joined Jul 2014
Malta
Aug 04, 2015 09:39 as a reply to Azathoth's post |  #8

Yep, dual slot is a sore point, highlighting the fact that the camera is not in the pro (single digit) range.

Unfortunately Canon considers dual slot to be a pro level feature, only available on pro cameras. Nikon thinks otherwise. I hope Canon filters this feature down to high end consumer cameras too.

Dennis
Canon EOS 70D | Canon EOS 450D | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF

grayline
237 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Newnan Georgia
Dec 22, 2015 23:21 as a reply to Azathoth's post |  #9

I agree 100 % action less TV mode is better with 7d 70d is better for all around capture.

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

Azathoth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Azathoth. 8 edits done in total.
Jan 11, 2016 16:03 |  #10

One very annoying issue about this camera: bulb mode. By various reasons.

I'm shooting the sunset and i'm using ND filters. I'm shooting using a 5 seconds exposure. Then it gets darker, i must shoot at 30s. Then it gets even darker, must use bulb mode. Ok , rotate mode dial to bulb mode. Don't uderstand why bulb mode doesn't get activated when i set a speed higher than 30s like on the 1100d. But fine, whatever, i'm not that lazy. :rolleyes: THen i realise ISO and aperture is set to completely diferent settings i was shooting. Need to take a look at the last picture to check what aperture i was using, ok f13. :rolleyes: So i must now shoot with a speed of 40 s in order to get a proper exposure. I plug in my remote trigger and press the shutter. Then i realise there isn't any counter on the back screen (like on the 1100D). Now it's only on the top LCD screen. :rolleyes: My camera is on such a elevated position that i can barely see it. WTF?!?! vmad THen it gets even darker and i can't really see because the light of that screen isn't turned on as it should. vmadvmad Ok so i must turn it on right before shooting? Press the button to turn it on, click the remote and ffs it turns off by itself when i press the shutter! Seriously? vmadvmadvmadvmadvmad

Solution: must use my smartphone. :rolleyes:

Are all mid/higher Canon bodies like this? On the 1100d it was so simple. Scroll the wheel past 30s, bulb mode. Change it again on the oposite direction: 30s, 25s. 20s, etc. Press the shutter on bulb mode: screen gets all dark but with a counter on the center. And you can see in the dark!! :rolleyes:vmad

The tilt screen is so great using a tripod because you can very easily see the image on the screen even if the camera is in a weird position. So why isn't the counter on THAT screen? ANd why isn't the screen turned on? Hint: when you use bulb mode most of the time it's dark...

Why Canon, why?

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Jan 12, 2016 19:13 |  #11

I have the 1100D/T3 also. Not a bad camera, but time to upgrade. Looking to the 70D for price. Overall, would you say it's worth the price?

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,221 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Jan 14, 2016 17:11 |  #12

I moved from portraits to video and sold my 5DII cameras for 70D. I think I made an excellent choice with only one issue that really bugs me about the 70D:

Only one customizable C setting. I'd really, really, really love to be able to switch from, say, indoor to outdoor configurations or a configuration for quick-and-dirty, low-post-production small-concept videos and another for high-concept, deep-post-production videos.

Azathoth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Jan 23, 2016 09:27 |  #13

Cormac wrote in post #17855933 (external link)
I have the 1100D/T3 also. Not a bad camera, but time to upgrade. Looking to the 70D for price. Overall, would you say it's worth the price?

Yes definitley. Go for it. It's a great all-round camera.

sponsored links

4,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 70D, reviewed by Azathoth
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.