Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 02 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 23:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Neewer 32" Softbox...is it a decent softbox?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 02, 2015 23:22 |  #1

Would the Neewer 32" Softbox and S-type Speedlight Bracket (external link) be a decent setup for me to use to learn about OCF? I would use a Yongnuo YN568-EX with it.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by abbadon31.
Jul 02, 2015 23:40 |  #2

I can't speak for the box, but it looks fine for a start, but the pro s bracket will do a lot of things. I dont see how you can go wrong with it.

I AM SHOM

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 03, 2015 09:36 as a reply to abbadon31's post |  #3

Thanks for the feedback! I'm a bit confused, though, this kit doesn't say anything about the bracket being a "pro" version. Does it look like the included bracket is the same as a "pro" version? Looking at other "s" type brackets they all look the same to me whether stated as "pro" or not. -?

Thanks,
Ed

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jul 03, 2015 10:17 |  #4

It saying it in the the title
Neewer® Photo Studio Multifunctional 32x32"/80x80cm Softbox with S-type Speedlite Flash Bracket Mount and Carrying Case for Portrait or Product Photography

I AM SHOM

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 03, 2015 10:20 |  #5

I think I got hung-up on the word "pro". The word "pro" is included in some listings for this type of bracket but not in other listings. I'll take it that it is all the same. ;)

Ed

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jul 03, 2015 10:44 |  #6

Godox calls it the Pro S bracket they are the ones that make it. Neewer just retags the product and can call it anything they want, but its the same thing.

I AM SHOM

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 03, 2015 11:19 |  #7

Ok, thanks for the clarification on that. Between the Neewer and Godox is there much/any difference in quality of their softboxes at this price level?

I hate to keep bugging you...I'm just trying to get the best song for my quarter. :)

Ed

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,069 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Jul 03, 2015 12:03 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #8

If Godox is the supplier for that particular product then it is stil the same product when Neewer is putting their name on it.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 03, 2015 12:32 |  #9

Thanks mmmfotografie for the reply. But what I was inquiring about in my last post was about the softboxes themselves, not the brackets. :)

Ed

mmmfotografie wrote in post #17619246 (external link)
If Godox is the supplier for that particular product then it is stil the same product when Neewer is putting their name on it.

Intheswamp wrote in post #17619196 (external link)
Ok, thanks for the clarification on that. Between the Neewer and Godox is there much/any difference in quality of their softboxes at this price level?

I hate to keep bugging you...I'm just trying to get the best song for my quarter. :)

Ed

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,069 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Jul 03, 2015 13:38 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #10

Duh....the softbox and bracket are made by Godox, Godox stamp the name Neewer on it and then Godox ships it of to Neewer.

Pfffffff a lot of Godox there. ;-)a

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jul 03, 2015 13:54 |  #11

Intheswamp wrote in post #17619196 (external link)

Ed

Nope all the same nothing you have to worry about.

I AM SHOM

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 03, 2015 14:24 |  #12

Thank you for your patience with me. I guess I was trying to over think this $40 purchase. :oops: So Godox is the maker/seller and Neewer is a re-brander/reseller. I went ahead and ordered the Neewer version as it was a few dollars cheaper than it's Godox cousin.

Ed

abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Jul 03, 2015 15:43 |  #13

I think you will be very happy with your setup once you get it.

I AM SHOM

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jul 03, 2015 17:00 |  #14

be careful, if you get the pro version of the bracket, and are not in fact a pro, the bracket will turn to dust as soon as you take it out of the package.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jul 03, 2015 17:14 |  #15

I have that particular setup and use it regularly.

The softbox itself has no mounting plate. Instead it relies on the tension of the spring-metal hoops to hold the softbox to the s-bracket. What I mean is that each side of the softbox has a spring-metal hoop sewn into the material that stretches out the material when in use, then will wrap-up as you collapse the softbox to store in its bag. If you've ever used a collapsible reflector you're familiar with this kind of design; just imagine four triangular-shaped, collapsible reflectors sewn together along the long edge. The rear, narrow end of the hoops extend past the rear opening in the soft box and you insert the s-bracket in that space. This works fairly well but there is some droop to the soft box that needs to be considered.

You do have to be careful when folding the softbox back up for storage because if you twist it into too sharp of a curve it will kink the metal loops. Also, if you want to use this softbox with a strobe you'll have to get a speedring insert to fit into the rear of the softbox, otherwise there's no way to mount it to a strobe.

The benefits are that this softbox is smaller and lighter to carry and less expensive than an umbrella-opening softbox, and quicker to setup than a regular softbox with removable stays.
The disadvantages are that this softbox does droop somewhat on the light and is relatively easy to damage if you're not careful when folding it back up.

I have to setup sometime this evening to do a portrait and I'll try to take a picture to show what I'm talking about.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

sponsored links

3,482 views & 2 likes for this thread
Neewer 32" Softbox...is it a decent softbox?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.