Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 04 Jul 2015 (Saturday) 23:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Yongnuo 568EX (not II version) will not work with 622C???

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 04, 2015 23:37 |  #1

I've just barely begun to study and work a little with OCF. I have a couple of 622C triggers and a 622C-TX. I'm using a 6D along with a YN-568EX and a YN-468-II. I just finished pulling my hair out for a couple of hours reading Clive's manual and trying to get the triggers to work with the 568EX...I had no problem getting the flash to fire, but I couldn't remotely change the power. I was getting ready to post a message about the triggers not working when I thought I'd try the YN-468-II...and it worked nicely the first try...it fired and I could adjust it's power remotely.

Is the YN568EX non-II version known not to work in regards to remote power adjustments with the 622C triggers? Or, have I got something within the flash set up wrong? If it's not possible to change the power settings of the 568EX via the triggers that will be a bummer being as the 568 is my strongest speedlight. :-(

Thanks,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jul 05, 2015 00:17 |  #2

I dont think the 568 has the commu ications channel for remote power control. The tx uses an ettl hack to work around that, but I dont yet have a tx so I haven't played with it.

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Tauranga, NZ
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by CliveyBoy.
Jul 05, 2015 00:59 as a reply to gonzogolf's post |  #3

I have used my early production YN568EX with the 622C and C-TX for some time, with full control. At least until the xenon tube failed. (I bought a replacement from Israel, and am waiting until my workshop is re-established after being kicked out of the garage! The whole space has been upgraded as a home for grand-daughter, and great-grandkids Zack 8, Abbie 2, Ava 3 weeks.)

Almost certainly, you have a contact problem. Make sure that you slide the 568 onto the shoe, then give an extra press forward with the thumb, then lock down firmly.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

oldvultureface
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Northwest Indiana USA
Jul 05, 2015 07:32 |  #4

Mine works with both the TX and 622 as controllers on my 7D, 50D, and 450D. It has some mechanical and electronic issues but otherwise can be fully controlled with the TX.

The "hack" for the TX that gonzogolf mentioned is for older E-TTL flashes that aren't fully controllable with the 622s.

As Clive mentioned, poor contact is frequently a problem with these units. If the 568 works normally in the camera's hot shoe, there is probably a connection fault with the triggers.

ṐṼḞ

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 05, 2015 07:40 |  #5

Thanks for the replies. Ya'll have given me hope!!! I will try again this afternoon after cleaning contacts and insuring a good fit. Hopefully that is all that it is. I bought the 568EX back in Nov/Dec of 2013 (if that matters). I debated between it and the II version and was persuaded to go the non-II route due to issues at that time with the newer II version.

I'll post back with a success story or a tale of sorrow. :lol:

Thanks,
Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 05, 2015 17:05 |  #6

I cleaned the contacts off as best I could, even though they looked fine, but my 568EX still doesn't respond to power/settings adjustments from the 622C-TX. I also tried a 622C's on both camera and flash, completely removing the TX from the equation and the same thing happens....the flash fires but there is no control over the flashes settings. -?

As I was typing I realized that I hadn't tried the 568EX directly in the 6D's hotshoe. The 6D will fire the flash *but* when I go into the menu system the 6D comes up with either the "Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off" notice...this is for both the "Flash function settings" and "Flash C.Fn settings" menus.

Ok, I thought, let's see how it works on my T2i. It works basically identically...the flash fires remotely, there's no remote control for the settings, and the T2i gives me the same "Incompatible flash..." notices when I pull up the menus.

One last thing I did, but not sure it matters, was simply use the TX as a hand held remote...it would fire the flash but had no remote control for settings/power.

Anybody got any suggestions of something that could possibly be set wrong within the 568EX's settings?

Are there any suggested speedlight models for me to be studying in the case I decide to buy another one? It will be another Yongnuo due to finances (would love to have a Canon, but...$$$). It seems that I recall the early 568EX-II's had issues with battery doors breaking off and a bounce flash issues of underexposure...are those problems squared away? Other models that might be a better choice?

For now, though, I'll use the 468EX-II. Hopefully it will be powerful enough for use in a 32"x32" Neewer softbox. The 568EX will work as a fully manual flash, in TTL mode it seems to put full power out. :-( I was hoping to use the remote control to smooth out my learning curve as much as possible but using the 568EX might be a little more work than expected.

Thanks for your help, everybody!
Ed

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Indiana
Jul 05, 2015 19:19 |  #7

I bought a YN-565EX about a year ago and it behaved exactly as you describe; it would fire but not respond to remote commands or on-camera control. I replaced it and the new unit was fine. I've bought 4 or 5 of them and only had a problem with one. As I say, this was a while ago and it may well have been old stock since I did not buy it from the Yongnuo store. If yours is still in the return window (or even if not, since it's clearly defective) you might try sending it back...

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 05, 2015 20:36 |  #8

Thanks for the info, Greg. My 568 is about 1-1/2 years old. I'm not sure they would do anything about it. Is the Yongnuo Store the manufacturer's point of contact? It would be great if they would warranty the flash, but I'm not holding my breath.

Another brilliant idea I had was to compare the contacts of the 468EXii and the 568EX...quiet a difference in contact arrangement. gonzogolf, I'm thinking you might just be on to something here regarding the absence of a communications channel for power control....having one less contact than my 468 means that it *is* missing *something*....but then I hear from other users that their 568EX speedlights are working.

Would the contact configuration and having one less contact than the 468 have something to do with the issues I'm having?

If you own a 568EX (non II version) that works fine does the contact arrangement match the image below of my 568EX? The 568EX is the one with only four contacts....the 468EXii has five contact points.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/451/19452157835_7c92ff6b1c_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vCVo​PD] (external link)IMG_0003a (Custom) (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

Thanks again,
Ed

110yd
756 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Jul 05, 2015 21:27 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #9

For what it is worth, I own two YN-568ex flashes and the foot print is not the same as the image you have posted above RIGHT. The two devices I own have a foot print similar to the image on the left.

Hope this helps,

110yd

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Intheswamp.
Jul 05, 2015 21:45 |  #10

Yes, the foot on the right belongs to my 568EX...the foot on the left belongs to the 468EXii which works great with my triggers. Your's is *not* the II version but the "original" one, correct?

Ed

ETA: I had to edit as I had to many "rights" in there...I meant the "other right". ;)

110yd
756 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Jul 05, 2015 22:01 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #11

The version I have is the YN-568EX. See attached photos.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Tauranga, NZ
Jul 05, 2015 22:22 |  #12

Intheswamp wrote in post #17622024 (external link)
Yes, the foot on the right belongs to my 568EX...the foot on the left belongs to the 468EXii which works great with my triggers. Your's is *not* the II version but the "original" one, correct?

The foot on the right is for Nikon cameras. It does not have the contacts needed for Canon's advanced data streams.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 05, 2015 22:30 |  #13

The pattern of the contacts on your 568EX is definitely different from mine...your 568EXs have a contact pattern like my 468EXii. Also, the button layout is the same as mine, though some of the text is different. The color of the text is also different....yours is white, mine is gold. I purchased mine off of eBay from a seller named cissy-photo that ships out of China. I bought the flash for eventual use with the triggers...just getting to working with the triggers and I'm finding I got less than what I bargained for. Something tells me that I won't get much help from them, but I think I will ask anyhow. :(

Here's what mine looks like:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/352/19268527919_61e63a12d3_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vmGf​3B] (external link)IMG_0005a (Custom) (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 05, 2015 22:39 |  #14

CliveyBoy wrote in post #17622054 (external link)
The foot on the right is for Nikon cameras. It does not have the contacts needed for Canon's advanced data streams.

Clive, I was wondering about that. I was looking through the sellers listing on eBay and saw a Nikon foot that was identical to mine. I wasn't sure if that was the thing or not and was going to mention it when I saw you had just posted your message...that answers a big question. Mystery solved!!!!!

Well, it looks like I got *just* what I bargained for. I went back and looked at my purchase history on eBay and sure enough, the big ol' meathead that I am order a @$)(*$@!!! Nikon speedlight!!!!<groan> The bad thing is that I had ordered one prior to this one that came in all beat up...I sent it back and reordered only to order the wrong one.<sigh>

Sorry to have wasted everybody's time with my error, but I do appreciate the help in arriving at the conslusion. Now to figure out if I want to buy another one or what to do...anybody need a 568EX for a Nikon?

So, is the simple solution for a working speedlight the Yn-568-II or is there another one that will work well with the triggers at a lower cost?

Gee, I feel like an i-d-i-o-t. :oops:

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jul 05, 2015 23:03 |  #15

So, part of the education that I got out of all of this...maybe it will help somebody else (there's comfort in numbers<grin>;)....

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/362/18833035554_9cf8f10c45_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uGde​ky] (external link)IMG_0003app (Custom) (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

6,131 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yongnuo 568EX (not II version) will not work with 622C???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.