Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 05 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 20:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Before and After - The Weekly Editing Challenge

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by mannetti21. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 05, 2015 20:46 |  #1

...now compiled into a single, easy to locate thread, that can be added to your subscribe/follow list!

Rules are simple:

• Download the image file from the current week

• Contestants will have 7 days to edit the image and post their edited version to the thread (1 entry per week)

• The owner of the original image will choose a winner

• The winner will copy & paste this post and include a new downloadable image link

The new image must be unedited / SOOC (straight our of camera), full-resolution, and in a RAW format, ie. CR2, DNG, TIF, etc
    (Dropbox works well for uploading and linking these large files)

The purpose of this game is to be creative and learn new editing techniques. You must give some insight into exactly how you went about editing the image. For example, increased shadows sliders, reduced highlights, local sharpening, white balance adjustment, specific filters used, tone curve adjustments, etc. Comments and/or questions regarding the edits are encouraged.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

sponsored links
mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by mannetti21. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 05, 2015 20:46 |  #2

Winners List:

Member Names - Dates

Cacawcacaw - 7/13/15

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by mannetti21.
Jul 05, 2015 20:54 |  #3

Entries must be submitted by midnight of 7/12/15.

Here is the link to the full size image up for editing:
https://www.dropbox.co​m ...20-%20Mannetti21.dng?dl=0 (external link)

And here is the JPEG preview for reference:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Benitoite. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 06, 2015 00:18 |  #4

Converted by RawTherapee using L*a*b* Noise Reduction {Luminance 60}, Tone Mapping {.25,1.13,5.36,9}, Highlight Compression {500}

HOSTED PHOTO
Exposure +2
HOSTED PHOTO

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by bumpintheroad.
Jul 06, 2015 02:43 |  #5

OK, I'll play.

First I played with the crop. My initial inclination was to try and make this a photo of the balloon but the scene really didn't allow that. I still managed a decent result but then I decided to include more of the festival instead of eliminating it. Here's the first version.

HOSTED PHOTO
Compositionally, still not an ideal photo but this isn't an artsy type of shot anyway.

In Lr I adjusted white balance off the white tent canopy the boosted the exposure 2/3 a stop and pushed the shadows +39 and the whites +65. The bright sky on the top right was screaming for attention; cropping got rid of some of it and I used Lr to pull the highlights -100 and added some curves and adjustment brushes in layers to tone it down. I probably could have spent more time evening it out but I got it to where I was reasonably satisfied. Then I went to work on the balloon, adding a couple of adjustment brushes to brighten it up and make it glow. Finally I bumped the sharpening to 41 with a mask of 84 to minimize noise increase, and luminance increased noise reduction to 26 to get most of the noise out of the sky.

Moving on to Ps I duplicated the background layer then used a high-pass filter, adjusting it to just catch the texture of the grass. Then I blended the new layer at 93% and masked out the sky and edges of trees and the balloon to reduce noise and haloing. This caused the noise in the trees to go way up but that looked better than the softness that was there originally. While I was in Ps I picked up the trash on the ground.

My last step was going into Perfect Effects 8 and adding a slight amount of "glow" to the overall image and then back into Lr to bring up the shadows just a touch more.

HOSTED PHOTO

I just wish I could see what the people in the photo are looking at.

[P.S., I generally like the automatic retrieval of EXIF info, except in cases like this.]

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,482 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by rrblint. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 06, 2015 14:31 |  #6

Here's my attempt.

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3832/19459051836_643e050b0f_c.jpg

Mark

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010
Ventura, California
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by cacawcacaw.
Jul 06, 2015 18:09 |  #7

The light in the background made this look like it was supposed to be an evening shot, so I added an evening sky. I just got done reading a bunch of stuff about blending layers, so I spent a long time goofing around with multiple layers, masking and trying different things. Here's what I've been reading today. (external link)

My advanced Photoshop skills are moving along more quickly than my basic Photoshop skills, so I still do a bunch of knuckleheaded things, light flattening the layers so I can go back into Camera Raw where I'm more comfortable with the adjustments. (Like making the light pole vertical.)

If anyone is interested (and I would love any kind of criticism you'd be willing to throw at me), I'll include a link to the .psd file (external link) (before the layers were flattened). I still have a lot to learn about doing non-destructive adjustments to individual layers, and how to mask and sharpen more efficiently.

The guy with the skateboard and the family in the lower right caught my eye, so I cropped mostly around them, which seemed to put the balloon in a pretty good place. Then, to increase the feeling of dusk, I illuminated the balloon a bit, with a shadow on the upper right, and added some lens flare to the pole light.

Thanks - that was a perfect image to experiment with!

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/dtgbzwfjsn3gccb/Balloon%20Fest%20-%20Mannetti21.jpg?dl=0

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

dropmyload
Joined May 2011
Nairobi, Kenya
Jul 07, 2015 01:44 |  #8

Here is my attempt. Not sure how to share Lighroom settings. Seemed like a mellow evening scene, so tried to add some warmth. Resized to 5mb to fit POTN's size requirements. Pls critique and comment, I'm quite poor at post.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,348 posts
Joined Mar 2009
East Yorkshire
Jul 09, 2015 03:08 |  #9

HOSTED PHOTO

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/external link

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Jul 09, 2015 06:40 as a reply to NigelD's post |  #10

How did you edit the shot, it looks nice.

alasavio
Joined Mar 2006
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by alasavio.
Jul 09, 2015 07:49 |  #11

Here is my go at this image. Cheers!

IMAGE: http://lasavio.com/images/potn/balloon_final.jpg

Basic process:

• Started off in Lightroom
o Adjust color temp and tint
o Exposure +1.55
o Highlights all the way down
o Whites – 90
o Blacks +48
• Imported into Photoshop
o Curves adjustment
o Contrast
o Mask balloon and ropes then invert selection to add Gaussian blur to all but balloon
o Lower saturation on all but balloon
• Back into Lightroom
o Lots of local adjustment brushes to tweak contrast, exposure and clarity and saturation in various areas of the image

Andrew
www.LaSavio.comexternal link

DGStinner
Joined Jan 2014
Middlesex, New Jersey
Jul 09, 2015 08:37 |  #12

HOSTED PHOTO
Temp: 7,800
Highlights: -100
Shadows: +100
Whites: -8
Blacks: -20
Clarity: +29
Vibrance: +22

Tone Curve: Medium Contrast
Sharpening: 50
NR Luminance: 25

I also did a graduated filter with a slight orange hue, reducing exposure -1.15

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,348 posts
Joined Mar 2009
East Yorkshire
Jul 09, 2015 10:30 as a reply to Benitoite's post |  #13

Thanks Benitoite,
I made a letterbox crop and cloned out the family in the bottom. Then cloned in some sky to replace the blown out bit. Then used LAB colour boost backed off to 50% and then some dodge and burn to introduce more light into the interesting bits - peoples' faces and the balloon etc. Then put into luminosity mode and smart sharpened.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/external link

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,073 posts
Joined Sep 2005
AZ-USA
Jul 10, 2015 11:20 |  #14

Here is my attempt.....

HOSTED PHOTO

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Websiteexternal link

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Jul 10, 2015 13:57 |  #15

Same settings as before but a look at the basket.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

202,896 views & 2579 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.