Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 05 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 20:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Before and After - The Weekly Editing Challenge

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by mannetti21. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 13, 2015 17:02 |  #16

Many good edits on this one.

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17622228 (external link)
OK, I'll play.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by bumpintheroad in
./showthread.php?p=176​22228&i=i268114453
forum: Competitions
Compositionally, still not an ideal photo but this isn't an artsy type of shot anyway.

In Lr I adjusted white balance off the white tent canopy the boosted the exposure 2/3 a stop and pushed the shadows +39 and the whites +65. The bright sky on the top right was screaming for attention; cropping got rid of some of it and I used Lr to pull the highlights -100 and added some curves and adjustment brushes in layers to tone it down. I probably could have spent more time evening it out but I got it to where I was reasonably satisfied. Then I went to work on the balloon, adding a couple of adjustment brushes to brighten it up and make it glow. Finally I bumped the sharpening to 41 with a mask of 84 to minimize noise increase, and luminance increased noise reduction to 26 to get most of the noise out of the sky.

Moving on to Ps I duplicated the background layer then used a high-pass filter, adjusting it to just catch the texture of the grass. Then I blended the new layer at 93% and masked out the sky and edges of trees and the balloon to reduce noise and haloing. This caused the noise in the trees to go way up but that looked better than the softness that was there originally. While I was in Ps I picked up the trash on the ground.

My last step was going into Perfect Effects 8 and adding a slight amount of "glow" to the overall image and then back into Lr to bring up the shadows just a touch more.

./showthread.php?p=176​22228&i=i20916725

I just wish I could see what the people in the photo are looking at.

[P.S., I generally like the automatic retrieval of EXIF info, except in cases like this.]

If I was looking for the most realistic, true-to life image, your second image was the best of the bunch...unfortunately, only the first submitted edit is supposed to be considered. The first image is good also, but I don't like that the couple got chopped at the bottom.

cacawcacaw wrote in post #17622927 (external link)
The light in the background made this look like it was supposed to be an evening shot, so I added an evening sky. I just got done reading a bunch of stuff about blending layers, so I spent a long time goofing around with multiple layers, masking and trying different things. Here's what I've been reading today. (external link)

My advanced Photoshop skills are moving along more quickly than my basic Photoshop skills, so I still do a bunch of knuckleheaded things, light flattening the layers so I can go back into Camera Raw where I'm more comfortable with the adjustments. (Like making the light pole vertical.)

If anyone is interested (and I would love any kind of criticism you'd be willing to throw at me), I'll include a link to the .psd file (external link) (before the layers were flattened). I still have a lot to learn about doing non-destructive adjustments to individual layers, and how to mask and sharpen more efficiently.

The guy with the skateboard and the family in the lower right caught my eye, so I cropped mostly around them, which seemed to put the balloon in a pretty good place. Then, to increase the feeling of dusk, I illuminated the balloon a bit, with a shadow on the upper right, and added some lens flare to the pole light.

Thanks - that was a perfect image to experiment with!

QUOTED IMAGE

This edit was unique, and it added an extra bit of drama to the image. I personally think it would have been even better if the darkened gradients were more feathered and subtle.

NigelD wrote in post #17625513 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by NigelD in
./showthread.php?p=176​25513&i=i63575664

I'm liking the crop on this, as well as the colors. The whole scene seems to really pop.

Surprisingly, choosing was more difficult than I had expected, but I think Cacawcacaw takes this round. Great job. Looking forward to the next round.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

sponsored links
cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010
Ventura, California
Jul 15, 2015 00:37 |  #17

Round #2

Rules are simple:

• Download the image file from the current week

• Contestants will have 7 days to edit the image and post their edited version to the thread (1 entry per week)

• The owner of the original image will choose a winner

• The winner will copy & paste this post and include a new downloadable image link

The new image must be unedited / SOOC (straight our of camera), full-resolution, and in a RAW format, ie. CR2, DNG, TIF, etc
    (Dropbox works well for uploading and linking these large files)

The purpose of this game is to be creative and learn new editing techniques. You must give some insight into exactly how you went about editing the image. For example, increased shadows sliders, reduced highlights, local sharpening, white balance adjustment, specific filters used, tone curve adjustments, etc. Comments and/or questions regarding the edits are encouraged.

Oh Ship! I saw the commentary on last weeks round but didn't notice the last line, where I was chosen to be up next. Sorry! Hope this photo works out okay - I fear that I may have missed focus on it, but I want to get the game started again. This will be a shorter contest, still ending Saturday evening. Crummy photo, short contest, so no masterpieces expected. Maybe the slightly off focus eyes will be an excuse to do something creative.

Download the CR2 File Here (external link)

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xmbjriel9mll83h/IMG_3811.jpg?dl=0

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,511 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by rrblint.
Jul 15, 2015 01:33 |  #18

Here's my try. Warmed it slightly, brought up shadows, down on highlights, sharpened, straightened, and enhanced colors.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Jul 15, 2015 01:38 |  #19

Layered, and output curve adjusted in Gimp, with a slight dip in the lows to help deepen the coat. Layers: DPP conversion with unsharp mask {10,4,2}, LuminanceHDR results from fattal, mantiuk08, mantiuk06, because when life gives you lemons, shoot top-shelf tequila.

HOSTED PHOTO

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by bumpintheroad.
Jul 15, 2015 02:24 |  #20

HOSTED PHOTO
In Lr: Cropped, brought up the exposure a bit, pulled the highlights and pushed the shadows, little added vibrance, did some curves adjustments, added some saturation and sharpness in the eyes. Moved to Ps and copied the entire image to a new layer, added a high pass filter and masked out the foreground wall and background fence. Selected the fence and flowers in the background and copied to a new layer then added some blur, reduced exposure a pinch and slightly reduced vibrance and saturation. Used a layer mask to clean up the edges of the fur and whiskers (this was the longest part). Into PE8 for some dynamic contrast and the border. Finally back in Lr to give a very small bump to exposure and noise reduction.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

dropmyload
Joined May 2011
Nairobi, Kenya
Jul 15, 2015 23:57 |  #21

My take......again I struggle to share lightroom settings.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Triplexbee
Joined Aug 2013
Peterborough
Jul 16, 2015 05:37 |  #22

Hi, thought I would like a shot at this.

My PS skills are very weak (look to my cobweb removal for evidence!)

HOSTED PHOTO

flickrexternal link

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010
Ventura, California
Jul 16, 2015 20:30 as a reply to Triplexbee's post |  #23

Matt, I've been recently learning a bit more about retouching photos by copying the image on a second layer, doing the retouching there, and then controlling the result by masking off areas I don't want altered and using different layer blending modes. I'm far from being proficient at it, but using these techniques can sometimes be easier than trying to "repaint" portions of the original image.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010
Ventura, California
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by cacawcacaw.
Jul 19, 2015 13:48 |  #24

Round #2 Wrap-Up

I liked the way last week's final determination included commentary, so I'll do my best at the same. (This is optional, not required.)

QUOTED IMAGE

The shot, straight out of the camera, seemed to have some obvious flaws, particuarly that the subject (the cat) was much darker than the background, and that the composition wasn't all that pleasing.

rrblint wrote in post #17632121 (external link)
Here's my try. Warmed it slightly, brought up shadows, down on highlights, sharpened, straightened, and enhanced colors.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by rrblint in
./showthread.php?p=176​32121&i=i235339422

I really like the way the lighting has been changed to emphasize the cat's face. The sharpening looks good for the most part but a bit too sharp in some respects. Maybe too much uniformity, like an HDR. The cat's butt looks coarse, not soft, but that's probably mostly due to my focusing problem. The crop is better than the original but the tail is just on the verge of being cut off. I would have probably gone in tighter, cut the flowers in half, using them as a border and maybe even crop out the stucco below the bricks and part of the cat's rear end. I think I like tighter crops than most people.

Benitoite wrote in post #17632125 (external link)
Layered, and output curve adjusted in Gimp, with a slight dip in the lows to help deepen the coat. Layers: DPP conversion with unsharp mask {10,4,2}, LuminanceHDR results from fattal, mantiuk08, mantiuk06, because when life gives you lemons, shoot top-shelf tequila.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Benitoite in
./showthread.php?p=176​32125&i=i125718348

Good solid edit, brought out the cat's face and smoothed things nicely. Could the cat's eye's have a little more vibrance? The background might be a bit distracting. Again, I would have cropped more aggressively, but that's just me.

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17632142 (external link)
./showthread.php?p=176​32142&i=i145205759
In Lr: Cropped, brought up the exposure a bit, pulled the highlights and pushed the shadows, little added vibrance, did some curves adjustments, added some saturation and sharpness in the eyes. Moved to Ps and copied the entire image to a new layer, added a high pass filter and masked out the foreground wall and background fence. Selected the fence and flowers in the background and copied to a new layer then added some blur, reduced exposure a pinch and slightly reduced vibrance and saturation. Used a layer mask to clean up the edges of the fur and whiskers (this was the longest part). Into PE8 for some dynamic contrast and the border. Finally back in Lr to give a very small bump to exposure and noise reduction.

Really good job on pulling the viewer's eyes to the cat's face without over-doing it. I'm taking mental notes on how you used layers of sharpening and blur filters. Great job on the transition from the fur to the background. The original picture seemed to have a funny boundary there.

dropmyload wrote in post #17633131 (external link)
My take......again I struggle to share lightroom settings.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by dropmyload in
./showthread.php?p=176​33131&i=i147415777

I never would have thought about going black and white on this image but it works - you brought out some texture in the fur that's hard to see in the other renditions. I like the crop - there's a comfortable amount of space behind the cat and it doesn't look like you struggled with the tail.

Triplexbee wrote in post #17633272 (external link)
Hi, thought I would like a shot at this.

My PS skills are very weak (look to my cobweb removal for evidence!)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Triplexbee in
./showthread.php?p=176​33272&i=i126510848

I'm sure if I showed this to the average person, they'd never notice where the healing brush (assuming that's what you used) left some contrasty transitions. Getting rid of the cobwebs was a good idea. Either make them part of the story, or get rid of them. This is similar to how I would have cropped this photo. I'd love to have one of those devices that records how peoples' eyes travel over images. I get the feeling that my eye takes the best journey with this crop and that annoying tail is removed as a factor.

My fault as the photographer, but the transition from the cat's fur to the background is a little clumsy. I don't know if it would be possible to clean up with such a close crop though. This version is very much how I would have edited the image.

Winner - Bumpintheroad.

This was a tough one. As I went through each of these, I said to myself, "This one is the best." It's very hard to compare such radically different styles and the tie breaker might have unfairly gone to the one with the most technical technique. The bottom line should be, "Which one would I hang on the wall?" but, unfortunately, the answer is none of them. I don't like cats! I'm allergic to them and this particular cat and her friend come by almost every day to purposely tease our dogs.

Okay, Mark, you're up. Give us a shout if you need any help posting the next round or if you are on vacation and can't post a raw file.

Thanks everyone, I feel like I'm learning a lot by taking some time to check out each photo. Feel free to reply to any of the comments, particularly if your perspective is different than mine.

Koert

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jul 19, 2015 16:56 |  #25

cacawcacaw wrote in post #17636689 (external link)
Winner - Bumpintheroad.

This was a tough one. As I went through each of these, I said to myself, "This one is the best." It's very hard to compare such radically different styles and the tie breaker might have unfairly gone to the one with the most technical technique. The bottom line should be, "Which one would I hang on the wall?" but, unfortunately, the answer is none of them. I don't like cats! I'm allergic to them and this particular cat and her friend come by almost every day to purposely tease our dogs.

Okay, Mark, you're up. Give us a shout if you need any help posting the next round or if you are on vacation and can't post a raw file.

Thanks everyone, I feel like I'm learning a lot by taking some time to check out each photo. Feel free to reply to any of the comments, particularly if your perspective is different than mine.

Koert

Thanks Koert. I thought it ironic that you don't like cats, LOL! And congrats to everyone else, too, as they were all great edits.

If it is okay with everyone I'd like to do something a little different. I like the misty look of this sunrise scene but obviously in this SOOC image the sky is a bit bright and the foreground very dark. And the sky lacks drama. There's also some sensor dust visible. I shot three bracketed exposures, you can choose to work with one or HDR whichever you think work best. Here is the middle exposure:

HOSTED PHOTO
The files are here: https://www.dropbox.co​m ...WnMfoCkIJE83HI-MJFTa?dl=0 (external link).

Good luck to everyone, and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010
Ventura, California
Jul 19, 2015 17:34 as a reply to bumpintheroad's post |  #26

Looks like a good one!

Galix
Joined May 2013
Jul 19, 2015 19:49 as a reply to cacawcacaw's post |  #27

My post-processing skills are certainly not the best but I thought the photo was really nice so I gave it a shot !

HOSTED PHOTO

rrblint
19,511 posts
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by rrblint.
Jul 20, 2015 00:46 |  #28

Congrats BITR. This is really a beautiful scene. Here's my try.

HOSTED PHOTO

Straightened and sharpened then blended 1 and 3 as layers in luminosity mode with a 60% gradient towards the sky, then just played with contrast, highlights and shadows until I liked what I saw. Sorry, I never write or save exactly what I do.

Mark

dropmyload
Joined May 2011
Nairobi, Kenya
Jul 20, 2015 00:49 |  #29

I use Lightroom 4, and have downloaded the latest files twice, but seems Lightroom cannot recognize them. Any idea whats wrong?

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

rrblint
19,511 posts
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Jul 20, 2015 00:53 |  #30

dropmyload wrote in post #17637286 (external link)
I use Lightroom 4, and have downloaded the latest files twice, but seems Lightroom cannot recognize them. Any idea whats wrong?

Not sure but LR4 may not support the relatively new 70D. That's my guess anyway.

Mark

sponsored links

203,607 views & 2589 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.