Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 07 Jul 2015 (Tuesday) 14:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, reviewed by hokiealumnus

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND hokiealumnus (showing now: hokiealumnus)
Overall Rating8.5
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money10
Bokeh8
Sharpness9
Contrast8.5
Focusing9
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

hokiealumnus
Joined Jan 2014
Raleigh, NC
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by hokiealumnus. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 07, 2015 14:11 |  #1

I actually wrote a long review of this lens for my personal site: Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS STM – Initial Thoughts and Samples (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/efs55-250-STM-08.jpg

To make a long story short, my conclusion is:

I’m thoroughly impressed with what this little inexpensive lens is capable of in just a short time out. It’s sharp as a tack (just look at the 100% crops!), handles very well and all for a price that’s one fifth (retail-to-retail comparison) of what you’d have to pay for a decent 400 mm lens on full frame. It’s both a bargain and a strong lens in its own right.

In one sentence - This lens is sharp. Here are two of the sample images of a hydrangea:

Full photo:

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/efs55-250-STM-samples-07.jpg

100% crop:

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/efs55-250-STM-samples-08.jpg

Like I said - Sharp.

Read the full article for more lens details and plenty of sample images. :)

**Note my number ratings are relative to this lens' performance for its cost. It would certainly be rated differently if compared to L-caliber lenses. However, in isolation, based on its price, I would rate it as listed above.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Galleryexternal link | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

sponsored links
Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Jul 07, 2015 19:17 |  #2

Great review, i am hoping to pick up one of these when i also get a 7D mk1, i will be eagerly wanting to compare it to my old gear that was a Nikon d7100 and nikon 70-300ED VR lens, i know there is a 50mm difference at the long end but to be fair i used to pul my 300 back to 200 for sharpness.

I'm looking forward to getting my gear:-)

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

BillSXT2002
36 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Jul 07, 2015 19:34 |  #3

Very helpful review. I think this lens could make sense to complement my 18-135 STM when I want a smaller light kit for well lit areas. Not every situation calls for the big and heavy 70-200.

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Raleigh, NC
Jul 08, 2015 09:45 |  #4

Thank you both for the kind words. :)

Pagman wrote in post #17624094 (external link)
Great review, i am hoping to pick up one of these when i also get a 7D mk1, i will be eagerly wanting to compare it to my old gear that was a Nikon d7100 and nikon 70-300ED VR lens, i know there is a 50mm difference at the long end but to be fair i used to pul my 300 back to 200 for sharpness.

I'm looking forward to getting my gear:-)

P.

Congrats on your new gear! I hope you enjoy it.

BillSXT2002 wrote in post #17624112 (external link)
Very helpful review. I think this lens could make sense to complement my 18-135 STM when I want a smaller light kit for well lit areas. Not every situation calls for the big and heavy 70-200.

I think you're right. :)

I have the 18-55 STM and the 18-135 IS (non-STM). I would love to have the 18-135 STM, but its MFD is longer than the 18-55, which I tend to use indoors and when space is tight, and I'd hate to get even more overlapping focal range.

That said, 18-135 is a very useful walk around focal length range. If I can only take one lens along, that's usually the one I take...so I might try to sell the IS and get the STM one of these days.

chaturanga
58 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Jul 23, 2015 07:33 |  #5

I am confused between this lens and Tamron 70-300 VC version. I am new at photography, and have EOS 500D which should I buy for zoom lens?

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
Raleigh, NC
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by hokiealumnus. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 23, 2015 10:30 |  #6

Well, I can't speak from experience, but personally I'd go with the STM. If you look at DxO Mark's comparison of the two (this link should take you to a comparison (external link)), the only area where the Canon is worse than the Tamron is vignetting, which is easily corrected in post. Everywhere else, the Canon is equal to or superior to the Tamron, especially in chromatic aberration.

With that in mind, plus the wide availability of extremely affordable 55-250 STMs (at least $200 less than the Tamron's MSRP), I'd go with the Canon.

Unless you really need that extra 50 mm on the long end (and are willing to start 15 mm further out). In that case, the Tamron is the obvious choice.

Keep in mind the Canon has smaller filter threads also, which means cheaper filters. I can also guarantee its autofocus is quieter. You can't even hear the STM focusing. My mother-in-law has a Tamron lens that is extremely loud, and doesn't focus as fast (or as well) either. Seems the Canon is half the weight of the Tamron too, at 375g vs 765g, respectively.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Jul 23, 2015 19:40 |  #7

What is Fantastic about this lens - If you do a comparison test In Digital Picture and use the 7dmk2 and compare this lens against the much more expensive and Pro build 100-400 mk 2 In the center of both pics zoomed well in, the little humble STM lens is virtually the same for IQ and contrast, now that is impressive, and against the 70-300 IS USM lens again using the same camera for both, the STM is quite a lot sharper over the 70-300@ 200 and 300mm.

It really is looking like a Giant Killer of a lens.

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

Susan3325
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2016
Jun 26, 2016 12:34 |  #8

Thank you for this thorough review. The longer review was even more helpful. You've solidified my buying purchase -- picking a used one up tomorrow!

Tygr1
Joined Jan 2009
San Antonio
Dec 30, 2016 06:00 |  #9

I just purchased a Canon refurbished one of these myself, based on your review. Thanks!

-Richard

J-Dog
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 31, 2017 04:59 |  #10

Thanks for the info on the 55-250.
I purchased one for £120 UK a couple of weeks ago, took it on holiday to Wales,UK and have to say it is a fantastic piece of kit for the price.
The fact that it is so cheap means I can be a little bit rougher with it and not worry about the replacement costs too much.

I would recommend this lens to anyone

sponsored links

4,783 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, reviewed by hokiealumnus
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.