Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 21 Jul 2015 (Tuesday) 09:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My Canon D10 is six years old. Is it still waterproof?

Zeus-cat
47 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Jul 21, 2015 09:15 |  #1

My wife and I are headed to Australia in a few months and we will be snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. My D10 was purchased in 2009 and still works well, although I rarely use it as I now use my phone for those shots when I don't have an SLR with me. I was wondering if the waterproof seals are still good or should I look at getting a new underwater camera? I don't have a good place to test the camera to any reasonable depth, but I doubt we will take it very deep as we will only be snorkeling. I really don't want to spend $300 to get a D30 as this trip is the only occasion in the near future that I can think of where we would use the underwater feature. Does anyone have any experience with an older waterproof camera and how well the seals hold up?

Zeus-cat

sponsored links
Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 21, 2015 10:56 |  #2

oh dear

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

buzzyrabbit
Joined Jul 2007
brighton england
Jul 23, 2015 07:13 |  #3

My D10 lasted 13 months of very little use before it got water ingress.

My Gear
Flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by John from PA.
Jul 25, 2015 06:59 |  #4

Keep in mind the D10 is only tested to 10 meters, about 30 feet in depth. I see it as you have little to lose, since you say you rarely use the camera anyway. If underwater images are highly desired, I suggest that prior to your trip get a few of the underwater Fuji disposable cameras. One source is http://www.amazon.com ...roof-Camera/dp/B00004TWM6 (external link) but I find them at Walmart. Then when you get the 35mm film developed simply ask for the images on a CD. Optionally ask for a contact sheet although most places like CVS include it at no cost.

The Fugi won't allow images at depths of 30 feet but still remains something useable to about 10 feet, and if you have some kids along it is a good alternative especially for them.

Zeus-cat
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Urbana, Ohio, USA
Jun 17, 2017 09:26 |  #5

I forgot to update you guys on what happened. Short answer is the camera failed almost immediately in less than 1 foot of water. I took 2 shots and it just quit. I couldn't access the 2 photos I took and the camera never turned on again. Camera and memory card were useless.

Fortunately, there was another camera buff on the trip and he sent us all of his underwater photos. Because of a severe inner ear injury he could no longer scuba dive so he snorkeled on the surface along with my wife while I did several scuba dives.

Zeus-cat

Hye5
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2002
Jun 18, 2017 23:09 as a reply to Zeus-cat's post |  #6

Interesting... I have had the D10 since it was first released. It mostly sits in a drawer but gets used in water maybe once a year (if that)... as of a few months back, it was still working fine underwater with no issues.

Hye 5 Photographyexternal link

sponsored links

4,610 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Canon D10 is six years old. Is it still waterproof?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.