Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 29 Jul 2015 (Wednesday) 04:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 5DS R, reviewed by Gel

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Gel (showing now: Gel)
Overall Ratingn/a
not rated
Overall Image Qualityn/a
not rated
Value for Moneyn/a
not rated
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Usen/a
not rated
Got What I Expectedn/a
not rated
AF Performancen/a
not rated
Handling and Ergonomicsn/a
not rated
User-interfacen/a
not rated
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 5DS R

Gel
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Brighton , East Sussex
Jul 29, 2015 04:51 |  #1

Great camera and a big improvement on the 5D3, I wrote up a full two page review with thoughts on the 645z (which I also own) and lots of sample photos to show how flexible the files are.

http://chrisgilesphoto​graphy.com ...-for-wedding-photography/ (external link)

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
Gaarryy
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
The Colony-- texas
Jul 29, 2015 09:00 |  #2

WOW!!

I"m impressed not only by the actual camera you reviewed but the actual writing of the review itself.

Great job!

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
Joined Apr 2008
Milo's Meadow - Bloom County
Aug 05, 2015 23:02 |  #3

Gel wrote in post #17648400 (external link)
Great camera and a big improvement on the 5D3, I wrote up a full two page review with thoughts on the 645z (which I also own) and lots of sample photos to show how flexible the files are.

http://chrisgilesphoto​graphy.com ...-for-wedding-photography/ (external link)

Excellent review Chris!

Tim

Flickr external link

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,535 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005
silicon valley
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by ed rader.
Sep 07, 2015 21:50 |  #4

great review Chris. how does it stack up to 5d3 in the high ISO noise department? that's a biggie to me. thanks.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 28 f2.8 IS, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L II, 430exII, gitzo 3542, markins Q10, kirk, really right stuff

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Sep 10, 2015 06:22 |  #5

Good review Chris, I agree with everything you wrote about the sensor and image quality. I love my a7R and do want an a7R II, but I am super-happy with my 5DS R and just a bit annoyed that it hasn't been more well-received. I guess people just want a 5D IV.

I am a little surprised that wedding/event photographers would be interested in the 5DS. I shoot architecture mainly (a fantastic application for the 5DS R), and after just a little editing work in Photoshop and I am having to save as PSB files instead of PSD (because of the huge filesize). I never had to do that before except for stitched panos; not even with 36MP files from the a7R II. So, the 50.6 MP resolution is affecting my workflow somewhat, but I suppose wedding photographers might not need to do as extensive editing in PS.

David | Flickr (external link)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,620 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Space Coast, Florida
Oct 21, 2015 08:26 |  #6

Chris,

Great review. As I read it, you mentioned, "As someone who shoots manually most of the time having a split second save all button is golden for me." Can you explain what the "save all" is, and why this is important to your flow?

Thanks.

Facebookexternal link or Websiteexternal link

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,599 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
Oct 27, 2015 19:35 |  #7

Excellent review Chris! Thanks!!

Bryan

My Gear List

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Brighton , East Sussex
Oct 31, 2015 07:07 |  #8

Hi folks, sorry I didn't have thread notifications enabled...

ed rader wrote in post #17698847 (external link)
great review Chris. how does it stack up to 5d3 in the high ISO noise department? that's a biggie to me. thanks.

It's about the same. The new sensor behaves differently, so while 'technically' noisier by about half a stop, it's easier to treat, easier to downsize and remove and kinda ends up cleaner than the 5D3. Plus you can push the files a lot better at ISO3200 (about 2 stops) than you could with the 5D3. It starts to hit the ugly tree when pushing 6400 a couple of stops but most cams do.

David Arbogast wrote in post #17701924 (external link)
Good review Chris, I agree with everything you wrote about the sensor and image quality. I love my a7R and do want an a7R II, but I am super-happy with my 5DS R and just a bit annoyed that it hasn't been more well-received. I guess people just want a 5D IV.

I am a little surprised that wedding/event photographers would be interested in the 5DS. I shoot architecture mainly (a fantastic application for the 5DS R), and after just a little editing work in Photoshop and I am having to save as PSB files instead of PSD (because of the huge filesize). I never had to do that before except for stitched panos; not even with 36MP files from the a7R II. So, the 50.6 MP resolution is affecting my workflow somewhat, but I suppose wedding photographers might not need to do as extensive editing in PS.

While I don't shoot the smaller raw sizes it's good to have a larger file available. While I do 95% wedding photography I shoot landscapes for pleasure and headshots as a sideline. It's better to have the available resolution there than not. The overlooked gem is the crop factor. I was in a church the other day and forced to stay at the back. I shot my 135L at F2 and cropped it to 25mp and had a hugely detailed shot despite the crop. As a result I carry less lenses and I can look at my 24-70 as a potential 24-140.

While the look won't be the same as if shot with a true 140mm it totally useful to have. When I edit the file sizes aren't a problem and while I use photoshop a lot. For bulk editing in Lightroom I use Perfect Browse 9 to select the images and generate smart previews in LR, then close lightroom, rename the raw folder and edit just the smart previews. Which at 2000 pixels long, but still raw. Then when exporting change the folder name back and the changes are applied on export.

golfecho wrote in post #17754393 (external link)
Chris,

Great review. As I read it, you mentioned, "As someone who shoots manually most of the time having a split second save all button is golden for me." Can you explain what the "save all" is, and why this is important to your flow?

Thanks.

On the 1DX during shooting you could program the AF-on button to jump into a different mode. So assuming I'm shooting manually, but something was happening and I needed to get it faster than I could change the settings....then I could program that button to jump into a preset TV, AV or P mode. The function on the 5DSr is only really have enabled and to me, a bit pointless as it is.

Chris Giles Photography

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
Phoenix AZ
Jan 11, 2016 08:47 |  #9

A solid, "real world" review that cuts the BS and gets the point! All the nonsense about DR drives me nuts. :)

Thank you for taking the time to share you thoughts. Great work all around.

Hatch

FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS---Lighting Guides and More! (external link)
MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

timd14
Joined Oct 2015
Jan 15, 2016 10:59 |  #10

Excellent review! Thanks for your time!

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,673 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Twin Cities
Jan 18, 2016 11:44 |  #11

I am in the market for a new body and shoot mostly wildlife. I have been considering a 5D III or 5DS R. Now I am leaning toward the 5DS R. My concern is the autofocus system and the perceived notion that the 5DS R is a studio camera.
Thanks for taking the time to review so thoroughly.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,673 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Twin Cities
Jan 19, 2016 15:05 |  #12

I just ordered one today!

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

philubonmat
Joined May 2008
Atlanta
Feb 29, 2016 11:28 |  #13

Thanks for your review, it very useful for me.

1Ds MII, 5DsR, Rokinon FE 12 mm f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, MP-E 65mm, Canon macro 100mm f/2.8, Canon 17-40mm f/4.0 L,Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L, 580ex II.

brassfootball66
Hatchling
Joined May 2016
Denver USA
May 11, 2016 14:18 |  #14

Great review and great pix.

I use the 5DsR in combination with a 7D MkII for wildlife, birds, travel, portraits and landscapes. The preferred lenses are the EF 14mm f/2.8L II, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS and the EF 500mm f/4L IS II, combined with the EF 1.4x and 2.0x TC-III. I keep the 500mm on the 7D2 most of the time and the 70-200mm on the 5DsR while shooting wildlife, but go to the wider lenses on the 5DsR for most landscape and travel shooting. If light gets low, I'll even swap the 500mm over to the 5DsR, because it's high-ISO performance blows away the 7D2, which is pretty darn good up to ISO 800. The ONLY advantage of the 7D2 for wildlife and birds is the fps. Bird-in-flight really are easier when you can shoot 10-fps and not worry too much about filling the buffer.

I don't have much to add to this excellent review, other than to say that it's pretty darn good for general applications other than weddings. Landscape files are stunning. I've gotten some great shots with in the 9-mos. that I've been shooting it, but nothing killer enough yet to spring for a 72" print, which I think is entirely reasonable, given the right subject. The prints in the travel books that I've made since buying it just jump off the page.

Some people seem frightened of the pixel-density. I'd remind those people that they've likely shot at these same densities, or even smaller pixels, on crop-sensor cameras. Yes, care must be taken, but if you can get sharp, crisp pix on your crop-sensor, then you can do so with this body.

Dave Stephens

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,473 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Jun 04, 2016 08:35 |  #15

brassfootball66 wrote in post #18003780 (external link)
Great review and great pix.

I use the 5DsR in combination with a 7D MkII for wildlife, birds, travel, portraits and landscapes. The preferred lenses are the EF 14mm f/2.8L II, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS and the EF 500mm f/4L IS II, combined with the EF 1.4x and 2.0x TC-III. I keep the 500mm on the 7D2 most of the time and the 70-200mm on the 5DsR while shooting wildlife, but go to the wider lenses on the 5DsR for most landscape and travel shooting. If light gets low, I'll even swap the 500mm over to the 5DsR, because it's high-ISO performance blows away the 7D2, which is pretty darn good up to ISO 800. The ONLY advantage of the 7D2 for wildlife and birds is the fps. Bird-in-flight really are easier when you can shoot 10-fps and not worry too much about filling the buffer.

I don't have much to add to this excellent review, other than to say that it's pretty darn good for general applications other than weddings. Landscape files are stunning. I've gotten some great shots with in the 9-mos. that I've been shooting it, but nothing killer enough yet to spring for a 72" print, which I think is entirely reasonable, given the right subject. The prints in the travel books that I've made since buying it just jump off the page.

Some people seem frightened of the pixel-density. I'd remind those people that they've likely shot at these same densities, or even smaller pixels, on crop-sensor cameras. Yes, care must be taken, but if you can get sharp, crisp pix on your crop-sensor, then you can do so with this body.

I own a 7D2 and 5D3. I'n thinking of going to one body only. The IDXII has a 20 megapixel sensor and I don't need 14 FPS. I do all my wildlife shooting with my 7D2 and I do crop it a lot. I need A FF that I can crop until I get a bigger lens. Currently I have the 100-400 II and a 1.4 III. I don't use the TC often and prefer not when BIF.

I don't mind 5 FPS but I would have preferred 8. I don't need 100's of bird shots just a handful is good enough for me. How is the AF? Accurate initial AF acquisition? I don't mind waiting a second for it to settle in. Subsequent bursts accurate as well? Compared to the 7D2?

Thanks in advance

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

9,056 views & 6 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5DS R, reviewed by Gel
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.