Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 07 Aug 2015 (Friday) 20:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Interesting article about the A10 Warthog plane...

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 07, 2015 20:13 |  #1

Some fascinating facts about the A10 Warthog with photos.

Take a look at the photo of the gun next to a VW bug - wow!

http://www.viralworld.​net ...eet-the-a-10-warthog/?v=p (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Aug 08, 2015 09:28 |  #2

They could use a bit of editing.
"In case you didn’t know, heat seeking missiles produce heat. Due to this phenomenon, pilots are discouraged from going haywire with their missiles. Just two seconds of shooting can produce nearly 150 rounds of uranium. When they’re traveling at 2,000 mph, it should produce all the destruction you’ll ever need" I think they confused the rounds from the Gatling gun with something else.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 08, 2015 12:03 |  #3

Capn Jack wrote in post #17660864 (external link)
They could use a bit of editing.
"In case you didn’t know, heat seeking missiles produce heat. Due to this phenomenon, pilots are discouraged from going haywire with their missiles. Just two seconds of shooting can produce nearly 150 rounds of uranium. When they’re traveling at 2,000 mph, it should produce all the destruction you’ll ever need" I think they confused the rounds from the Gatling gun with something else.

Yes, I noticed that too.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,008 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2015 12:03 |  #4

The A10 primary mission is close air support, against ground targets.

• The Gatling gun is optimized for 30 degree angle dives toward the ground with accuracy at 4000', for that reason.
  • For somewhat longer range ground targets in order to avoid antiarcraft, it has the Maverick missiles.

It carries two Sidewinder missiles for self-defensive use.

The article does seem to mix up things with regard to missile use vs. Gatling gun use, and the primary and secondary missions of the A10!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 09, 2015 21:56 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #17662178 (external link)
The A10 primary mission is close air support, against ground targets.

• The Gatling gun is optimized for 30 degree angle dives toward the ground with accuracy at 4000', for that reason.
  • For somewhat longer range ground targets in order to avoid antiarcraft, it has the Maverick missiles.

It carries two Sidewinder missiles for self-defensive use.

The article does seem to mix up things with regard to missile use vs. Gatling gun use, and the primary and secondary missions of the A10!

Yeah, the article writer may be a non-tech person, or didn't do their research very well.

But that's one BAD-ASS gun!

https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,604 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. 5 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2015 23:05 |  #6

I recall building a huge model of the A10 when i was in 7th grade (oh, circa 1979) and decided that this plane replaced the f-15 as my all time favorite warplane.

For some reason, wreaking havoc on soviet tanks while maneuvering in a low graceful speed, was far more satisfying to me than g forces in a dog fight! :)
(I guess I liked an unfair advantage!)

All the attention tends to go towards the gun, but the plane itself is a marvel of engineering, and it's weapons load is SICK, even without the gun. Hellfire, and the huge Maverick guided missiles,
https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/AGM-65_Maverick (external link)
guided bombs etc.. Anything you can use to smash something on the ground.

Anyway, my fascination with this plane and the 7 barrel Gatling gun installed left me 40 years later able to quote specs. Based on reports here I did not click the link. My old hard bound box I am sure told the story better. and I can still recall the B&W photo of the GAU 8A Avenger next to the VW from the books.

I love the fact that the A 10 was developed in the 1970's and remains the best tool for the job today.
In my lifetime I have read or heard about it's being removed from service at least twice, and have always wondered "why?" with no replacement in sight.
Fortunately cooler heads have prevailed and it's still in service.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

838 views & 0 likes for this thread
Interesting article about the A10 Warthog plane...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.