Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Thread started 09 Aug 2015 (Sunday) 06:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Convert to B+W before or post shot?

d4z0mg
Joined Nov 2014
Aug 09, 2015 06:35 |  #1

Just curious what the best way to create a black and white shot is.. whether to set it to black and white in camera or take the shot as normal and convert to black and white in LR? Never been much of a fan but they're starting to grow on me.

sponsored links
Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Aug 09, 2015 08:50 |  #2

The advice that I've seen is to shoot in color, process it to your satisfaction, and then convert to black and white.

Shoot RAW for the most options. If your camera allows you, you could shoot RAW+jpg and have the jpeg converted to mono in-camera so that you get an idea of how the shoot is looking.

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 09, 2015 12:24 |  #3

Always shoot in colour. Convert to monochrome in post processing.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Aug 09, 2015 13:25 |  #4

I always shoot in color and convert in PS. I find the camera B&W to be a little flat.

Galleryexternal link MyGearexternal link About Meexternal link

d4z0mg
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Aug 10, 2015 09:12 |  #5

ok that's great.. thank you

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Aug 10, 2015 21:15 |  #6

d4, do you shoot in RAW?

Ed

killwilly
Joined Dec 2009
Lincolnshire, UK.
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by killwilly.
Aug 11, 2015 05:30 |  #7

If you shoot in Canon RAW, the original RAW folder will always stay as colour, no matter what you do to it.

Try it by changing your camera Picture Style to monochrome and then load the image to your computer and if you have used RAW, it will be in colour. So, if you want a monochrome image it is better to convert in PP.

Alan. flickrexternal link
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

d4z0mg
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Aug 12, 2015 01:59 |  #8

yeah i shoot in raw, i didn't realise it stayed colour despite changing the setting in camera as i've never used any of the inbuilt filters before

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Aug 17, 2015 07:30 |  #9

Same here, do the B&W conversion in Lightroom. It offers so much more flexibility.

However I like to shoot in B&W mode on my camera in order to have a preview of the final result. Like the other said, the RAW file remains in colours.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Aug 17, 2015 08:49 |  #10

Reiep wrote in post #17671995 (external link)
Same here, do the B&W conversion in Lightroom. It offers so much more flexibility.

However I like to shoot in B&W mode on my camera in order to have a preview of the final result. Like the other said, the RAW file remains in colours.

My understanding is that RAW files are neither color or b&w...it's data. The software you use to access the RAW data and how you use that software determines whether it will be color, mono, b&W, sepia, colorized, or what have you.

I agree with you on having the camera produce b&W jpegs for in-camera viewing while shooting...it lets you see how the shots are working out in regards to contrast, tone, exposure, etc., so that you can adjust things in the direction you wish to go with the images.

Ed

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Aug 18, 2015 18:48 |  #11

I'm with Reiep. I shoot in RAW but have the camera set to B&W. That gives me a preview on the LCD in B&W which I like for judging tones. However I never actually use that jpeg preview as the in-camera B&W processing (like most in-camera processing) doesn't meet my style/artistic needs. Hence I always process the RAW myself in LR.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Aug 18, 2015 20:25 |  #12

Neither, I shoot with a Leica MM but if I were to convert it would be in post. I only shoot raw.

raksphoto
Joined Jun 2010
California
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by raksphoto with reason 'spelling'.
Sep 09, 2015 03:17 |  #13

I find use of in-camera Picture Styles a very creative resource. Exposing for JPEGs is good discipline, a lot like using slide film, which has more limited exposure latitude. Also certain high-contrast Picture Styles, particularly for black-and-white, give you access to whole new vistas of studio and speedlite lighting flexibility.

There is certainly more flexibility with RAW, but it also creates a post-processing burden after the shoot. My clients can far more easily use the JPEGs made directly by the camera, than RAW, esp. since the 7D2 RAW won't work with Photoshop CS5.

7D Mk II | 70D | 7D | 1D Mk III
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 50-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L
The main camera gear I use

armis
Joined Jan 2012
Sep 14, 2015 03:54 |  #14

Think in B&W, shoot in color.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by absplastic. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 18, 2015 13:47 |  #15

raksphoto wrote in post #17700486 (external link)
I find use of in-camera Picture Styles a very creative resource. Exposing for JPEGs is good discipline, a lot like using slide film, which has more limited exposure latitude. Also certain high-contrast Picture Styles, particularly for black-and-white, give you access to whole new vistas of studio and speedlite lighting flexibility.

I feel a bit differently about the in-camera styles, tbh. I understand the point you're making, about the limitation forcing you to consider other elements more carefully (composition, lighting, careful control of exposure, etc) at the time of shooting, but on the other hand what you end up with is really just one possible rendering of the RAW data, and it's a rendering preset that Canon chose, not you. There is nothing wrong with imposing these limits on yourself, but I'd personally want to shoot RAW + JPEG in this case, so that I would have all the benefit of how the limitations affected the composition of the shot, but none of the drawbacks of possibly getting stuck with a photo that should be a keeper, but can't be saved due to technical limitations. Memory cards are cheap, and you can always through data away.

raksphoto wrote in post #17700486 (external link)
There is certainly more flexibility with RAW, but it also creates a post-processing burden after the shoot. My clients can far more easily use the JPEGs made directly by the camera, than RAW, esp. since the 7D2 RAW won't work with Photoshop CS5.

Again, all of our cameras can shoot RAW + JPEG, and unless you need the highest possible framerates and buffer capacity for an action sequence, there is little downside to having the RAW data available. You can have SOOC shots for your clients, but still have the digital "negatives" available if they ask for changes. Post-process burden is all relative and totally in your control. You can tweak each shot for days, or you can just batch render the RAW to JPGs with a few clicks. Plus, pulling a shot by a stop or two, or correcting white balance is less of a burden than reshooting.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

sponsored links

10,775 views & 7 likes for this thread
Convert to B+W before or post shot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.