Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 11 Aug 2015 (Tuesday) 14:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How Many Times Have You Switched?

snegron
210 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Florida
Aug 11, 2015 14:24 |  #1

Thinking back to my old film days, I have switched brands several times. I started with Pentax then went to Nikon. From Nikon I went medium format to Mamiya. From Mamiya I went back to Nikon.

Then came the digital age. I went from Sony to Nikon to Olympus to Panasonic to Nikon and now to Canon! :)

I currently still have most of my cameras (except for the Olympus) and lenses. Batteries are the biggest challenge for me. Whenever I get the urge to use one of my old digital cameras I find that the batteries need to get replaced (especially with my Nikon DSLRs).

My reason for so many switches in the past was because I needed something specific from a particular brand/format at the time. Because I have kept most of my equipment, I really never fully committed to truly switching over100% to one brand or another. I currently use a Canon T3i with three kit lenses for travel because it is a decent, lightweight set up. My older Nikon bodies are too heavy/cumbersome for travel. I use Nikon whenever I need to use a longer lens or for sports events.

How many times have you switched? What were your reasons? Any regrets?

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Aug 11, 2015 15:01 |  #2

I've never really switched from Canon once I got into doing photography on a fairly regular basis.

I was given a Kodak Advantix camera as a gift back in high school, but used it very sparingly due to film and development costs. It was the first camera I owned that was completely my own, but I used it so rarely that I can't really include it in my history of gear.

First Digital point and shoot I got was a Canon many years ago, and used that far more often. That was able to produce surprisingly clear photos for the little bit of tech it was. It was my great experiences with that camera that really pushed me toward Canon years later when i went looking for a more serious camera system, and I'm firmly in Canon's field for lenses now, and probably bodies as well. (I won't rule out a Sony or other mirrorless if I can adapt my EF glass to it, but none of the current models have me willing to give up my optical view finders.)

However my next camera I add to my collection is going to be a 4x5 film camera, possibly custom built. Pentax medium format is very likely to make it into my lineup in the next decade if things continue on as they are, adding a 120 film body and digital medium crop body that can share a lens family is rather tempting and could be interesting to work with.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 11, 2015 15:18 |  #3

I never really switch but I am not limited to one manufacturer. Over the years I have had Canon hardware, Nikon, Sony, Kodak, Graflix, Leica, HP, Agfa, Contax, and so many others. Thinking about adding a Sony mirrorless now but still debating.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 11, 2015 15:21 |  #4

Canon -> Nikon

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
Joined Aug 2003
Aug 11, 2015 15:35 |  #5

From my first Canon TX to today's cameras it's always been Canon.

2 Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 28 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 85 F1.8, 100 F2.0, 100L Macro, 135L F2, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 10-22 3.5.4.5, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, 70-300L 4-5.6, 100-400L version ii and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Aug 11, 2015 15:36 |  #6

snegron wrote in post #17665064 (external link)
Thinking back to my old film days, I have switched brands several times.

I currently still have most of my cameras (except for the Olympus) and lenses.

Because I have kept most of my equipment, I really never fully committed to truly switching over100% to one brand or another.

I currently use a Canon T3i with three kit lenses for travel because it is a decent, lightweight set up. My older Nikon bodies are too heavy/cumbersome for travel. I use Nikon whenever I need to use a longer lens or for sports events.

So to me it looks like you haven't really switched brands at all. What you appear to have done is to add new brands to your current brands. That's not really switching, is it? I mean, isn't switching when you get rid of your current brand and get a new brand to replace it?

I had a Nikon film SLR back when I was a teenager. I continued using it up until I was in my late 20's. Then, when things went digital, I got a Sony H5 P&S in 2006, which I used for a year or two. Then I got a Canon DSLR in 2007. I continued using the Sony P&S for several months after I got the DSLR, as the P&S was better for some things and the DSLR was better for others. Then I got long lenses for the DSLR and began using that exclusively. But I kept the Sony P&S. And I have also kept my original Nikon film SLR all of these years.

So I guess I never switched from one brand to another, because I have never gotten rid of the old gear - I just don't use it anymore.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Aug 11, 2015 15:44 |  #7

My first SLR was a Mamiya-Sekor that I got for $100 at Macy's. I couldn't afford a Nikon, which I used in college. When the Mamiya broke down, I was still a poor graduate student. A Canon FTb was half the price of a Nikormat. It had good reviews. So that's what I went with. It was a great camera. I never looked back. I don't jump around. I do have an Olympus walk-about, however.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Florida
Aug 11, 2015 16:23 |  #8

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17665188 (external link)
So to me it looks like you haven't really switched brands at all. What you appear to have done is to add new brands to your current brands. That's not really switching, is it? I mean, isn't switching when you get rid of your current brand and get a new brand to replace it?

I had a Nikon film SLR back when I was a teenager. I continued using it up until I was in my late 20's. Then, when things went digital, I got a Sony H5 P&S in 2006, which I used for a year or two. Then I got a Canon DSLR in 2007. I continued using the Sony P&S for several months after I got the DSLR, as the P&S was better for some things and the DSLR was better for others. Then I got long lenses for the DSLR and began using that exclusively. But I kept the Sony P&S. And I have also kept my original Nikon film SLR all of these years.

So I guess I never switched from one brand to another, because I have never gotten rid of the old gear - I just don't use it anymore.

You are probably right about the definition of "switcher". When I do add a different system to my accumulation of cameras (not a "collection" as I use all of it), I use it almost exclusively and store the rest of my stuff. I guess I can say I'm an "adder" more than a "switcher". :)

Another reason I hold on to my old gear is because it isn't worth it to sell. I would end up selling for a fraction of what I paid, so I just hang on to the stuff. Plus I rotate from one system to another when needed. Maybe I'm a "rotator"... :)

mike_d
Goldmember
4,995 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 11, 2015 22:16 |  #9

I had a 3MP Olympus around 2000 or 2001 that I used until I got a Canon DSLR in 2008. I've got way too many EF lenses at this point to make switching economically practical until I win the lottery.

EnglishBob
Joined Dec 2004
Clovis, California.
Aug 11, 2015 22:48 |  #10

I started with a with film in 1979, with a Kodak, switching to Canon Film superzoom compact in 1997.

My First Digital was a Kodak in 1998 (DC 200+), I followed that with another Kodak, Before switching to a Fuji Finepix in 2002.

I got my first DSLR in 2004, which was an original Canon Rebel 300D, 400D Xti in 2006, 50D in 2009.

I had the 50D and Xti until this this year when I replaced the Xti with a 7DII in January. Then in June I replaced the 50D with a 5DIII.

Galleryexternal link MyGearexternal link About Meexternal link

Antarion
98 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Aug 12, 2015 02:45 |  #11

I only started photography in 2008 and never switched brands til now. I went from 500D to 5D2 and still there. I got in touch with some cameras of my friends (Nikon D700, GM1 and Sony A6000) but never felt for the hassle of needing to learn getting used to new gear. Most important thing for me is having options and Canon has all the lenses you need.

Only a lighter travel option is sth i want sometimes

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,695 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 12, 2015 08:16 |  #12

Once... started off canon in 2005, however this past year or two, added sony's full frame offering and that was it for me. I eventually sold my last canon body this year. 10 years a canon loyalist, had to let go.... Sony gave me more opportunities and pleasure.

it started off as an addition to system that spun wildly out of control into a replacement system.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

monkifoto
Joined Apr 2015
Aug 13, 2015 15:24 |  #13

Canon to Nikon

I started with a
CanonXT -> Canon T2i -> Canon 60D, EOS M (Backup)

Then sold both cameras and got

D7100, D90 (backup) -> D610

I have a friend who shoots a 5D mk3 and I have used it and it feels pretty good but i can't justify going back. Not when the specs between what i have and the 5D arent that far off.
I have contemplated Sony, but maybe in the future.

Honestly both brands have amazing cameras. I switched because i felt like Canon was holding out or focusing more on video, Single SD and i never thought i would say this but ergonomics. I think Nikon has a better grip style. I can easily hold my D610 with a 70-200 f2.8 with just 2 fingers.

I wont be going back to Canon. :(

flickr (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/monkifoto (external link)

Fred ­ G. ­ Unn
39 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Aug 13, 2015 16:43 |  #14

Antarion wrote in post #17665838 (external link)
I only started photography in 2008 and never switched brands til now. I went from 500D to 5D2 and still there. I got in touch with some cameras of my friends (Nikon D700, GM1 and Sony A6000) but never felt for the hassle of needing to learn getting used to new gear. Most important thing for me is having options and Canon has all the lenses you need.

Only a lighter travel option is sth i want sometimes

Similar story with me. Currently using a 6D, but I recently got a Fuji X-Pro1 with the 35 and 27mm lenses for travel and portability. I'm really enjoying the Fuji, but it really is just a complement to my Canon gear, not a replacement. I mostly end up shooting the Fuji in manual focus mode with back button focusing and then zooming in to check focus peaking. Totally different experience than shooting with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II for example. The Fuji is fantastic for some backstage candid shots (I'm a musician) but I can't imagine trying to use it for my kids' soccer/swimming/ice skating/etc...

Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujifilm Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8, Fujinon 50-140mm f/2.8, Fujinon XF 18mm f/2 R, Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R, Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 R | Nissin i40

tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 14, 2015 07:28 |  #15

Switched a couple times:

Fuji S7000>Nikon D50 (then D200/300/7000)>Canon 7D>Sony A7>Canon 70D> Currently considering trading for either Nikon D600 or D7100

Never really been the type to stick to a brand as I'm never invested heavily in glass. Usually only have 2-3 lenses that do what I need and that's it, so it's easier for me to switch whenever technology/advancement​s swing someone else's way.

sponsored links

24,069 views & 21 likes for this thread
How Many Times Have You Switched?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.