Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 21 Aug 2015 (Friday) 22:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Man downs drone with t-shirt, goes to jail.

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 21, 2015 22:59 |  #1

Yet another drone news story. This time a guy in San Diego threw his t-shirt at a pesky drone and ended up in jail charged with vandalism.

http://www.sandiegouni​ontribune.com ...each-drone-confrontation/ (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
kellyrmc
Joined Nov 2011
Tucson, AZ
Aug 21, 2015 23:25 |  #2

Yes, I'm in the San Diego area and couldn't believe this. The drone owner said it was flying high above the crowds at a public beach, but if the guy could throw his t-shirt at it, how high was it? And the man was charged with felony vandalism. Crazy.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 40D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 21, 2015 23:27 |  #3

It's only a matter of time before drones become controlled and regulated.

They're super invasive.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Aug 22, 2015 00:55 |  #4

Crazy indeed.

T shirt throwing distance is not what I would call a safe height nor a considerate height when flying above random people. The drone operator should have been charged with being a public nuisance and endangering public safety.

Gear List

WaterBoy2090
Joined Jun 2014
Sydney, Australia
Aug 22, 2015 07:45 |  #5

As the drone was a commercial operation, I'd be amazed if the FAA had approved the operator to operate at such a low height over public spaces; even as a hobbyist there are rules regarding minimum distances & heights that drones (& model aircraft) can be flown from members of the public.

Like any law, ignorance isn't much of a defence, particularly when personal injury lawyers get involved, or the FAA decides to prosecute a commercial operator.

7D Mark II
10-18 f4.5-5.6 is, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L is II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L is II, TC1.4, & 430EX II

windpig
Chopped liver
14,554 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Aug 22, 2015 08:15 |  #6

Aus.Morgo wrote in post #17678302 (external link)
Crazy indeed.

T shirt throwing distance is not what I would call a safe height nor a considerate height when flying above random people.

This!

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 22, 2015 08:17 |  #7

IMO, flying low enough to be downed by a t-shirt is just irresponsible, especially with kids around.

The District Attorney’s Office on Tuesday declined to press charges against Lehecka in the incident, an office spokeswoman said Wednesday.

So arresting him looks like typical Left Coast over reaction.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,554 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Aug 22, 2015 08:28 |  #8

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17678512 (external link)
So arresting him looks like typical Left Coast over reaction.

Oh my:eek:

Howz 'bout Kentucky?
http://www.msn.com ...r-his-backyard/ar-AAdGg2x (external link)

These little buzz saws are potentially dangerous, but there's no going back. I'd have done the same thing put in either of these situations.

flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 22, 2015 08:47 |  #9

windpig wrote in post #17678521 (external link)
Oh my:eek:

Thrown in jail for assault by t-shirt isn't an over reaction? For protecting kids from some unknown yahoo with a dangerous object?
"There should be a vertical zone of safety from devices that swoop in close enough to cause anxiety for one’s safety."
http://www.sandiegouni​ontribune.com ...medal-drown-downer-shirt/ (external link)

There are a lot of factors in play here, but in 1946 the Supreme Court ruled that property owners owned 83 feet of airspace above their homes. The air above 500' is public domain. There's some question who owns the space between.
--Mentalfloss.com 9/2015

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Aug 22, 2015 08:54 |  #10

It's the ones being flown in famous sites like Yosemite that get me, people have traveled the world and spend thousands to witness one of natures wonders, and some selfish **** put's his own selfish interests above everybody else' s and totally ruins their in all likelihood once in a lifetime trip, don't even get me started on the tool who crashed one into one of the most famous geysers. If it's close enough to be taken down with a T shirt, if it's that close filming kids without their parents permission, then isn't your duty to take it down in the interests of public safety??

I'm all for the protection of photographers rights in public spaces, a worldwide knee jerk reaction we're all having problems with, but would you stand 6' from a child blatantly filming them without their parents permission? Would you go to a beauty spot and force your way to the front whilst making a really loud intrusive and annoying noise? I think in the real world somebody would put you on your backside in both instances.......

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Aug 22, 2015 09:01 |  #11

If you read the entire article, the DA refused to press charges. I suppose there will be a civil case for damages.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 22, 2015 10:01 |  #12

joedlh wrote in post #17678553 (external link)
If you read the entire article, the DA refused to press charges. I suppose there will be a civil case for damages.

Good for the DA, but the guy had to spend 8 hours in jail while waiting for $10k bail.
Article says he was with 10 friends and the beach was packed. I would think some people caught the drone on their smartphone video.
Might be handy if this goes to civil court.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,896 posts
Joined May 2007
SF Bay Area
Aug 22, 2015 14:17 |  #13

joedlh wrote in post #17678553 (external link)

Read the entire article?!? What kind of irresponsible advice is that?

Much more fun to jump to conclusions and talk about "Left Coast over reaction". :-P

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

windpig
Chopped liver
14,554 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Aug 22, 2015 15:44 |  #14

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17678537 (external link)
Thrown in jail for assault by t-shirt isn't an over reaction?

I think for sure it's an over reaction. My point is that it's not just the left coast where people are being arrested for protecting themselves from drones. I live in Seattle, so I'm fully aware of how retarded it's gotten back here.;-)a

flickr (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Europe
Aug 23, 2015 06:36 |  #15

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17678537 (external link)
Thrown in jail for assault by t-shirt isn't an over reaction? For protecting kids from some unknown yahoo with a dangerous object?
"There should be a vertical zone of safety from devices that swoop in close enough to cause anxiety for one’s safety."
http://www.sandiegouni​ontribune.com ...medal-drown-downer-shirt/ (external link)

There are a lot of factors in play here, but in 1946 the Supreme Court ruled that property owners owned 83 feet of airspace above their homes. The air above 500' is public domain. There's some question who owns the space between.
--Mentalfloss.com 9/2015

If I read that, it sounds a lot like they wanted to accommodate different heights of houses without much of a discussion, e.g. single storey vs. 3 storey - and I would guess it works for 90% of all buildings or so. (As long as you exclude the skyscrapers - which can be higher than 152 metres.)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sponsored links

4,529 views & 2 likes for this thread
Man downs drone with t-shirt, goes to jail.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.