Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro
Thread started 22 Aug 2015 (Saturday) 05:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Bee Mix II

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Dalantech.
Aug 22, 2015 05:59 |  #1

The first two frames were taken using a new prototype diffuser that I recently built.Waiting on some new materials before I commit to something more permanent.

Bumblebee. Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F11, 1/20, ISO 200) + a Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens with 37mm of extension + a diffused MT-24EX (+1/3 FEC) with head "A" set as the key and head "B" as the fill. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: I used a syringe to inject 2:1 sugar syrup into a Basil flower. Ignore the shutter -the flash is the only significant light source on the subject. I dragged the shutter to expose the background. I shot this scene with the camera held horizontally but framed it, and adjusted the position of the flash heads, for a vertical shot. To me it's easier to take portraits with the camera held in a landscape orientation. Personal note: Not that it matters, but one reason I'm happy with this shot is because the bumblebee gave me just this one frame -the reason why I still practice...

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5747/20161887583_cc1ed4ffa6_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wHCW​Kr] (external link)Bumblebee in Basil VIII (external link) by John Kimbler (external link), on Flickr

Coelioxys sp. Leaf Cutter Cuckoo Bee. The way that solitary bees sleep fascinates me.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (around 2x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique:I'm holding on to the Daisey that bee is sleeping in with my left index finger and thumb, and resting the lens on that same hand to keep everything steady.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/691/20579408148_f93162b67b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xmwR​4S] (external link)Lounging Cuckoo Bee (external link) by John Kimbler (external link), on Flickr

Wool Carder Bee. Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (about 5x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: Early morning shot while the critter was still trying to get it's metabolism going. I was holding on to the flower petal with my left index finger and thumb, and resting the lens on that same hand to keep everything steady.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5708/20063022473_ece55df9ac_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wyUe​Az] (external link)Wool Carder Bee Portrait II (external link) by John Kimbler (external link), on Flickr

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

IOPNER
88 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 22, 2015 18:21 |  #2

Thinking about the MP-E 65.

These shots make that decision a lot easier. Thanks for sharing

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Aug 23, 2015 00:42 |  #3

IOPNER wrote in post #17679006 (external link)
Thinking about the MP-E 65.

These shots make that decision a lot easier. Thanks for sharing

I own and use both the MP-E 65 and the EF-S 60mm. The 60mm comes in handy when I'm shooting free hand between 1x and 2x because it's lighter and easier to control when I'm using it free hand.

In what way has my post made the decision easier for you?

My Blog (external link)

Snowyman
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Aug 23, 2015 05:13 |  #4

Fantastic series. :)
The Wool Carder close up is scintillating. One doesn't usually see this kind of detail on a macro photo without the poor critter looking staked, stacked and swimming with the fishes.
I find detail thoroughly appealing and rigor mortis thoroughly unappealing. :rolleyes:

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Artexternal link
Flickrexternal link
Blogexternal link

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Aug 23, 2015 05:54 |  #5

Snowyman wrote in post #17679483 (external link)
Fantastic series. :)
The Wool Carder close up is scintillating. One doesn't usually see this kind of detail on a macro photo without the poor critter looking staked, stacked and swimming with the fishes.
I find detail thoroughly appealing and rigor mortis thoroughly unappealing. :rolleyes:

I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm gonna focus stack, and then I take a shot at 5x and F16 that has so much depth and detail that folks think it was stacked anyway...

My Blog (external link)

849 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bee Mix II
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.