Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 25 Aug 2015 (Tuesday) 18:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Newborn Photographing HELP!

jackandmom
Joined May 2008
Holly Springs NC
Feb 19, 2016 20:29 |  #16

I specialize in newborns and honestly it's trial and error and experience. You can have the perfect lighting, lens and props but if your not sure how to pose or what angles to shoot you will run into typical newborn problems.

My studio is always 80 I always have a noise machine. I absolutely insist on a pacifier. And don't kill yourself trying to get those tricky poses. Natural poses are equally as beautiful. Try to use wraps and texture and layering sets to make the newborn stand out.

Feel free to click on my link and message me for more help. It's just so much to type out! ߘ

Cary Newborn Photographerexternal link
Raleigh Newborn Photographerexternal link

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
Joined Mar 2011
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by mike_311.
Feb 20, 2016 13:12 |  #17

with my limited foray into newborns, its hard. you are comparing to what you see on pinterest. when you actually try to pose like that in real life the baby just crumples under its own weight. I have no idea how they prop those things up but i went in with the mindset i was going to be doing a lot of cloning.

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

denise69
THREAD ­ STARTER
280 posts
Joined May 2010
Jun 19, 2017 17:58 |  #18

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these gorgeous photos as well as the info to go along with them!!
I have been practicing like crazy, I generally shoot in my studio.
Very seldom, in homes. However, just recently I did and it went well.
I truly appreciate you taking the time!

mercersmoments wrote in post #17881209 (external link)
I use the one light for everything, newborns, families, toddlers etc.

I use an Elinchrom D Lite One with a double diffused 7 foot parabolic.

Setting are pretty straight forward, 100 iso, f3.2 1/160th sec. WB custom using a grey card.

I do very little editing, only red spot removal and flakey skin/purple feet etc. I love that the light is reliable and my images are tack sharp and well exposed, I am a serial pixel peeper and a technical freak.

I use a Sigma 50 1.4 art & a canon 35mm 1.4L mostly and a Canon 100 2.8L macro for the fine shots.

Here is my newborn set up. See how I have my light on the same side at the top of the baby's head. You want the shadow to be under the nose & the light "feathered" Notice the heater as well, you must keep them warm and I also use white noise, a recorded shhhhh sound works best for me.

I photograph 4-5 newborns per week. None of them have ever beaten me, I win every time !
ha ha they are smaller than me !

I hope this help you. If you are using natural light, you can do the same by having the light coming in from the same direction, shoot a grey card and use camera settings suited to the available light you have on the day.

11,991 views & 19 likes for this thread
Newborn Photographing HELP!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.