Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 06 Sep 2015 (Sunday) 13:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

speedlight at concerts

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Oct 18, 2015 08:23 |  #16

I have shot some small concerts where a flash was the difference between decent photos or no photos at all. Obviously, flashes are usually prohibited or unnecessary, but there are times I explain the situation to the client and get permission ahead of time.

sponsored links
Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Ltdave.
Oct 21, 2015 15:55 |  #17

well i went to the Deep Blues Festival in Clarksdale Mississippi over the weekend...

i was the only person shooting without a speedlight and it required ISOs of 6400 and 12800 in order to keep the shutter speed up around 160-200 (sometimes i could get 250) and wide open at 2.8...

a the lights were red, yellow, blue etc. the few shooters with flashes got decent skin colors and pretty good illumination. mine are more authentic to the event but the pictures arent very flattering...

I was using my 24-70 f2.8, 24-70-200yd f2.8 and 5d3..

I wanted to keep my SS up in part because even though it's a blues festival, the blues of years past is gone. Very much rock influenced now and lots of movement amongst the artists...

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Nov 20, 2015 22:22 |  #18

I've shot plenty of shows with flash.

We're photographers, we capture light. Who gives a rats where it originates from (assuming all clear from the band of course!)

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

hang ­ your ­ cross
Joined Dec 2013
Kingston, NY
Nov 29, 2015 19:41 |  #19

I normally ask the bands if it's alright first. Usually, they will say yes because they want the free exposure and the pictures. However, I don't over do the use of flash. Plus with flash you can try and be creative by using rear curtain sync and having a long exposure.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5751/21291513938_3a0dd357e7_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/yrsz​iU] (external link)tigerflowers-2 (external link) by Garrett Colburn (external link), on Flickr

Some of my feedback

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,518 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Apr 05, 2016 17:59 |  #20

There is a venue I shoot at every so often that has 1 red led string light around the stage on top of the ceiling and it's almost impossible to get anything decent. I try and shoot with my 85m f1.2 but it's such a small venue I'm too close most of the time. In that situation it helps a lot to use a flash. I set it to -2 stops and us a big reflector to bounce the light and that works very well. It brings in enough white light to get natural color, otherwise I get a washed out alien look. Here is a couple examples:

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1552/24135433910_e3cdacc403_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/CLLp​CS] (external link)_MG_9667e (external link) by WackyBush (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1617/23804246043_d42499cc1c_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/CguZ​2e] (external link)_MG_9703e (external link) by WackyBush (external link), on Flickr

Even at bigger venues I like to use a flash when allowed, especially for outdoor shots in bright sunlight because it fills in the dark shadows with some detail. The problem is like mentioned here many photographers pump up the flash so bright and point it right at the artists they end up asking everyone to not use their flash.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Flickr (external link)| Gear List --------------

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Apr 06, 2016 04:52 |  #21
banned

The only place you would need flash, is these very small pub or club venues, but then again, it's up to the artists if they allow flash

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Apr 06, 2016 12:31 as a reply to BushWacker's post |  #22

Agree with Bush here, I've shot flash at festivals outdoors in bright daylight to overpower the sun.

There's so many places you can use flash to your advantage. It's just another light source after all.

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Feb 2008
I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.
Aug 16, 2016 13:54 |  #23

I've used from 2-4 off camera speedlites placed throughout a club for a battle of the bands type contest. I used on-camera flash for the finals at a large former theater venue. My friend was criticized there for her use of on-camera flash by another photographer, but we've never heard any complaints from band members. I've had many requests from band members for photos afterwards. It really depends on the venue and the band (famous national act versus amateur, etc.) Many photographers don't seem to understand that it's not just the amount of light available, but the quality of the available light. I want my photographs to be the best that they can be.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.comexternal link (remove the dashes)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Aug 17, 2016 12:10 as a reply to Bearmann's post |  #24

Yep. Ive shot some bands with HORRENDOUS light quality...

sponsored links

11,435 views & 5 likes for this thread
speedlight at concerts
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.