Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 25 Sep 2015 (Friday) 19:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Family picture help

amderk
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Manitoba
Sep 25, 2015 19:45 |  #1

I've been asked to take a casual family picture of 6 this weekend at a park in the afternoon and I'm scared of screwing it up .
What suggestions do you have for me?
I will be using my Canon 70D with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 art lens.

Examples would be great!

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Sep 25, 2015 19:57 |  #2

Whenever possible use a longer lens and step back. It cuts down on perspective distortion. Perspective distortion causes things closer to the camera appear larger and things farther away smaller. Keep in mind potential print sizes. I left extra room on this sample so it can be printed in 8x10 or 11x14. If I had filled the frame too tightly I could not print those sizes.

IMAGE: https://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/SmugPreview/Marney/i-8RXvN84/0/XL/IMG_9979-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://kevin-jones.smugmug.com .../IMG_9979-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

You also need to be aware of the light as mentioned in your other thread. Here is another use of fill flash,
Iike the above

IMAGE: https://kevin-jones.smugmug.com/Other/Crystal/i-t9zBZ84/0/XL/IMG_9996-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://kevin-jones.smugmug.com .../IMG_9996-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 25, 2015 20:20 |  #3

amderk wrote in post #17721863 (external link)
I've been asked to take a casual family picture of 6 this weekend at a park in the afternoon and I'm scared of screwing it up .
What suggestions do you have for me?
I will be using my Canon 70D with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 art lens.

Examples would be great!

Heya,

Don't have them standing in blazing sun.
Don't have them staring into blazing sun.
You want to see hands & eyes. Teeth optional.
Longer focal lengths are more pleasing (distortion).
Longer focal lengths suck the background forward.
Wide aperture and blurring a background is nice and all, but losing focus of a face in the group due to depth of field is bad, so don't do it at F1.4 maybe.
Further distance of background will blur, even at F8, if you're close focusing. Try to get super distant backgrounds, then aperture is less important for this.
I like dropping down to the ground for the perspective, I try to never take the photo from standing at the same height as the subject. Just preference.
I've made tons of mistakes and still do.

You should be fine at 50mm. Personally I would go with 85mm~100mm or so and just stand back.

Here's a little family of 4 that I did at 85mm F1.4. I should have been at F2.8 honestly, but I shot it manually with a manual lens at F1.4. Had to run to a canopy covered dark road to get out of the sun. Sure wish I had my lighting with me that day!

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5570/14953550652_534307ea8d_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oMoR​CQ] (external link)IMG_9314 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3897/14767338097_c35366e2ea_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ouWt​8x] (external link)IMG_9367 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

amderk
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014
Manitoba
Sep 25, 2015 20:48 |  #4

ok so my 50mm lens becomes 85mm with my cropped frame-so I should be good?

Which aperture would you suggest with 4 kids and 2 parents?

With the focal point do you focus on the person in front or the back?

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 25, 2015 21:03 |  #5

amderk wrote in post #17721915 (external link)
ok so my 50mm lens becomes 85mm with my cropped frame-so I should be good?

Which aperture would you suggest with 4 kids and 2 parents?

With the focal point do you focus on the person in front or the back?

Heya,

Field of view changes, but the focal length is 50mm no matter what. You should be fine though. As long as their arms or feet are not in the corners of the frame, you will not see any appreciable distortion. So don't worry about it. But do understand, it's 50mm, no matter the sensor size. Regardless, you're fine.

Aperture here depends on several things. Distance of you to them, and distance of them to the background. The closer you are to them, the thinner depth of field will be. The further away you are, the more depth of field there will be. So at 50mm, far enough away to do full body, F1.4 will likely produce enough depth of field (you'll be like 20 feet away to do that). I would probably stop down to F2 just to ensure all bits and pieces of the people are in focus since there are kids involved. Maybe even F2.8, again, just to ensure kids (who move a lot) are all in focus via depth of field. Would be a shame to have a kid with their face out of focus in the group because they leaned backwards or stepped back, etc.

If you're close up, for a not-full-body-shot, I would stop down to F4 or even down to F8, for an up close bust shot of a family of 6 or so with kids, again, to ensure those kids are in focus.
If you're far away, and they're filling the frame full body, you can get away with F1.4 and F2 comfortably at this focal length.

Focus on the closest-to-you person, let depth of field envelope the rest. Place them so they make a plate (flat line) so that your focus gets them all. If you stagger them or do layers with them (people in front of others) then you will want to stop down a bit, like I was saying, to ensure you get depth of field on them all, and you will want to focus on the front-most people still.

Very best,

Tyguy
Joined Sep 2014
Calgary, Canada
Sep 30, 2015 12:29 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #6

Question for you Martin. In your examples, it looks like a nicely shaded area (aside from the patch of light falling on the group in #1). Are you saying these shots would have been better with lighting? How would you have set it up?

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 15, 2015 05:17 |  #7

Tyguy wrote in post #17727726 (external link)
Question for you Martin. In your examples, it looks like a nicely shaded area (aside from the patch of light falling on the group in #1). Are you saying these shots would have been better with lighting? How would you have set it up?

Heya,

So if I could go back in time, I would use a large modifier (48" octa or 60" umbrella) to give some soft fill to the family. And probably throw a light behind them as a rim. Speedlites could do this just fine in that kind of light. I'd have used 1/4th CTO gels on them.

Lighting was fine in the shade. But a little soft fill from flash makes for angelic skin and brings a catch light to the eyes.

Very best,

ars21
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Seattle
Jan 04, 2017 00:21 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #8

This is a very nice show, may I know what lens you used

Canon EOS Digital Rebel / EOS 300D / Kiss Digital, EOS 5D Mark II | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM |

sponsored links

7,759 views & 2 likes for this thread
Family picture help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.