Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 30 Sep 2015 (Wednesday) 06:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Version 1.4 installed: Changelog

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,051 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by PhotosGuy.
Sep 30, 2015 06:12 |  #1

1.4 changelog

Editor command: "Pick from gallery" added, new tag GALLERYIMAGE implemented:
A new tag GALLERYIMAGE is created when you add an image from your gallery to a post. The tag renders a virtual copy of the original gallery image. If a galleryimage tag in your own post is not from your own gallery, a thumbnail is shown.

Each gallery image has an unique ident code which is put to the tag, like . You can reuse that tag manually, or add the same image again via post editor tool as many times as needed. Image count rules apply. Gallery images will show metadata, but you can edit it only on the "real galleryimage" (link to original is provided). They will also show best of info, hosted photo info etc. If you delete the original image from your gallery, virtual copies are not rendered any more.

Example:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Pekka's gallery.

Lots of gear added:
http://photography-on-the.net ...gearindex.php?list&​latest
Admin tools for adding gear greatly improved - now adding gear can be done fast.

Some gear images added, thanks to uploaders!

Fixed bugs in the password reset procedure (already done here).

Added a setting: should the last search be kept after opening the search interface later (default), or reset the search on page change if search result was not clicked.

Added a setting: should the search interface be automatically fit to window height, or should it always show full list of results.

A new post editor layout for mobile devices.
- This "simple" layout scales down to 320 pixels or smaller. No floating/draggable tools, a full width text area, simple tap friendly buttons for main groups of editing commands. The editor dialogs are docked (embedded) and tuned to easy tapping. Mobile editor has the same functionality as the "main" version of the editor. Only functionality difference is at the moment that poll editor is only available on desktop editor (will do that on next version).
- This editor mode is automatically picked for mobile devices and reloaded browser windows less than 500 pixels wide.
- you can change between mobile and desktop editor at will (while you edit). Last choice is put to a cookie.

Overall improvements to tap accuracy. This helps especially Android devices.

Improved search interface:
- it now has an optional full size mode (autofit to screen height is a new default)
- option to either remember last search (default) or start with a clear page when you open search UI on another page.
- normal pagination controls, page is also remembered if you choose to remember last search.
- thread listing mode uses now the default thread listing table found elsewhere in forums (with all the features like "show posters" and "thread peek")
- better filter selection dialogs
- history has now a one-click search (double tap on mobile) and a live results update when opened
- there is now better clarity of what filters search result (everything in while background on top of search interface will affect the search)
- on wide screens search interface stays narrower.
- empty search result contains simpler and better instructions.

Note that new search layout happens only after you make a search after the update, the old cached data may look odd.

Improved search accuracy:
- Search is always in exact keyword mode
- Results are sorted by newest first
- To search exact phrases, place the keywords in quotes: "keyword keyword2"
- Use the wildcard * in the end of a keyword if needed.
- some keywords are internally expanded to contain variations of it, like "500 mm" finds also "500mm" and "1.4L" finds also "f/1.4 l", "f1.4 L", "f/1.4L" and tons more like it.

Like is now a button showing like count, hover it (or click it you've already liked it) and it displays a list or likers.

Added a setting to thread title click: should it go to page 1, or to the new post when thread has new posts?

Thread peek opening position is now at last mouse move position, arrow to title added.

When you stop following a thread, notifications for that thread are also cleared.

Lens detection in automatic EXIF vastly improved on Nikon lenses. False positives prevented (already done here).

Fixed a bug which caused all notifications of a thread be deleted when a post was deleted on notified thread (already done here).

While automatic EXIF retrieval is working, opening of metadata editor is prevented for that image.

When you edit the post and added image(s), automatic metadata gave false info "no metadata found". Fixed.

Fixed a bug in image uploader which prevented uploading images between 8 and 10MB in file size.

Added live autoexif progress and result update when post edit is submitted.

Fixed a bug in removing an image from gallery via removing a lens/camera from metadata.

Fixed a bug : the originating forum instead of current forum was shown if a thread was moved, in some thread listings.

When gallery is filtered by metadata, all metadata is shown next to thumbnail, like on gear pages.

Added info on password reset into the feedback form.

Editor preview background color is now the same as the actual post background color.

Fixed an error with avatar scaling proportions on thread pages.

Transparency in png avatar uploads are now converted properly to the current background color.

Some subtle changes in color, look and readability.

Notification bar (the purple one) says now "NOTIFICATIONS: 34 POSTS" instead of "34 NEW POSTS". This to avoid confusion with "new posts" link and also to get ready for other notification types.

Thread page font chooser has now also font color picker (9 shades of gray).

Added a Facebook share button for thread, to bottom of each thread page (shows only when all the page content has loaded, does not affect page load speeds).

Stickies were shown on each forum listing page, now only on the first page.

When stickies in a forum have new posts after they were last hidden, you get "Show stickies (new content found)"

All lens and camera names are now shown in full, where ever they may appear. Shortened gear names were often confusing, they may reappear later but for now they are on hiatus. Long names are of course way longer in some cases, but with multiple-name cameras like "Canon EOS Rebel XS / EOS 1000D / Kiss F" they let you see all the name variations instead of "Canon 1000D".

Member profile web page links open now to a new tab/window.

Facebook photos with long url parameters can now be embedded (already done here).

Added a privacy policy page with cookie usage breakdown and an "opt-in" cookie consent popup according to EU cookie law. It's a one-click job (for each browser you use) to accept the policy. You've seen these in almost all sites nowadays, and we are required to have it as well. The consent info is stored in a cookie that expires in 1 year.

Thread listing rendering and scaling redraw fixes.

Fixed a bug in login, some old usernames with non ASCII characters failed (already done here).

Fixed a bug where EDIT and DELETE commands were hidden from other own posts on a page after a reply (page refresh was needed).

Fixed a problem with UTF-8 characters (like japanese, vietnamese) messing the embed tool.

When you drag (instead of clicking as instructed) embed tool thumbs or galleryimage thumbs to a post, they are now inserted as proper bbccode (indentical to click action) instead of e.g. an invalid url to a temp image folder.

Fixed a bug in RTAT where simple listing was messed up on browser resize (sometimes happens in iOS when you scroll the page).

Prevented Chromium URL crash bug to be exploited (already done here).

Added a Facebook style notification count to tab/page title, like "(23) This is a thread". Some devices like iPad do not update titles on inactive tabs, but else it is a "live" number.

Various small bugfixes and improvements.

-----------

Note: thread notifications system is coded, it will get to beta testing for those who want, soon after 1.4 is out.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 30, 2015 06:18 |  #2

Pekka,

Thank you for your continued work. POTN is part of my every day life and I enjoy it.

Thank you again.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 5Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

pekkatesting
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Sep 30, 2015 06:20 |  #3

Please note that the mobile editor is version 1.0, so all comments are welcome.

Note 2: I just synced some server clocks, so there is a 2 minute "settle" time, some events showed negative time for couple of minutes, it was not a bug.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Sep 30, 2015 06:23 |  #4

Superb, man!

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Sep 30, 2015 06:37 |  #5

Yes, the virtual copy is a very nice feature I will be using quiet a bit!
Thanks!

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880
Website - http://www.shotlifestu​dio.com/ (external link)

Immaculens
sorry, I'm new around here...
12,336 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Sep 30, 2015 06:43 |  #6

Wowzers - thanks Pekka !

Will immaculens.com (external link) gear
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Sep 30, 2015 07:03 |  #7

I really like the mobile editor. Really good so far

Gear List

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
Sep 30, 2015 07:12 |  #8

Can I tab to the submit button after typing a post? YES. I didn't see that in the notes but it is the biggest one for me. Thank you.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 30, 2015 07:17 |  #9

Thanks for the continued upgrades.

5D4 | 24-105L | 12mm 2.8 FE | Σ 24A | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | 18/2 | 27/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2
My Gear Archive

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Sep 30, 2015 07:27 |  #10

Pekka, thank you for your dedication and hard work on the improvements! Love the changes! :-)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

majix
Joined Aug 2013
Plano TX
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by majix.
Sep 30, 2015 07:44 |  #11

thank you , I like the like button but it seems there is no way to remove the like that you gave to a post.

Majid flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
http://www.mjdfoto.com (external link)

mfingar
Joined Mar 2011
Yorktown Virginia
Sep 30, 2015 07:57 |  #12

itsallart wrote in post #17727375 (external link)
Pekka, thank you for your dedication and hard work on the improvements! Love the changes! :-)

Same here. This website has become an essential tool in my kit.

Thanks to all that hold it together, maintain it, and make it easy to navigate. Good job!

www.markfingar.comexternal link

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 30, 2015 08:27 |  #13
banned

Thank you, as always. I need POTN more than I need my daily coffee!

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Chet
We ...are a very serious bunch here.
40,698 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 30, 2015 08:28 |  #14

The changes are so subtle yet really represent well. Thanks for your vision and hard work.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Chet
We ...are a very serious bunch here.
40,698 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 30, 2015 08:29 |  #15

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17727441 (external link)
Thank you, as always. I need POTN more than I need my daily coffee!

Lets not get cRaZy now, coffee is coffee for goodness sake.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links

17,858 views & 51 likes for this thread
Version 1.4 installed: Changelog
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.