Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 27 Oct 2015 (Tuesday) 23:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Profits down - Does anyone have anymore info on this news report?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,108 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Oct 28, 2015 16:15 |  #16

chantu wrote in post #17763573 (external link)
Smartphones are causing consumer demand for compact cameras to shrivel up, while mirrorless cameras are eating away at Canon’s market share for DSLRs, which have higher profit margins.

But if Canon market share in dSLRs went down, that seems to be somewhat counter to the statement, "unit sales of interchangeable-lens digital cameras increased from the same period of the previous year".

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by dexter75. (3 edits in all)

Oct 28, 2015 16:30 |  #17

chantu wrote in post #17763573 (external link)
My main point is this:
Reuters reports that a shifting digital camera landscape are to blame for Canon’s weakening business. Smartphones are causing consumer demand for compact cameras to shrivel up, while mirrorless cameras are eating away at Canon’s market share for DSLRs, which have higher profit margins.

I don't think anyone can deny the strong offerings by Sony of late. Hopefully this will compel Canon to do likewise - in sensor technology and mirrorless.

DSLR is still king, period. If mirrorless cameras start outselling DSLRs by wide margins, then yes, Canon will have to focus more on mirrorless. That isn't happening though and likely never will until they are capable of double digit FPS, much better battery life, better AF systems, better ergonomics etc....Also, there are still PLENTY of photographers like myself who absolutely hate EVFs and refuse to buy a camera that has one until they improve a LOT.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM EF 135mm f/2L USM

Scooby_Doo
157 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scooby_Doo.

Oct 28, 2015 16:35 |  #18

Didn't we go through this argument about film versus digital? :lol:
Mirrorless is just being born and Canon's been coasting for far too log.

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 28, 2015 16:43 |  #19

Scooby_Doo wrote in post #17763628 (external link)
Didn't we go through this argument about film versus digital? :lol:
Mirrorless is just being born and Canon's been coasting for far too log.

Film vs digital is like analog audio to digital, its a huge jump. Mirrorless vs mirrored is hardly that big a contrast. Also, mirrorless is hardly just being born. Leica has been doing it (and doing it better than any other company) since 2004 and Olympus/Panasonic have been doing it since 2008. It remains to be seen if mirrorless will take over, jury is still out. It still needs a ton of work.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM EF 135mm f/2L USM

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,185 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2015 17:03 |  #20

dexter75 wrote in post #17763626 (external link)
DSLR is still king, period. If mirrorless cameras start outselling DSLRs by wide margins, then yes, Canon will have to focus more on mirrorless. That isn't happening though and likely never will until they are capable of double digit FPS, much better battery life, better AF systems, better ergonomics etc....Also, there are still PLENTY of photographers like myself who absolutely hate EVFs and refuse to buy a camera that has one until they improve a LOT.

But I think the point of that Reuters article is that we are in the midst of that shift towards mirrorless. Yes DSLR is still king, but Reuters seems to be arguing that it won't be for long.

Canon PowerShot S110 | Fujifilm X-T10 | Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Fujifilm XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS II Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,139 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Oct 28, 2015 17:49 |  #21

Reuters is an information broker, they want to get the scoop (get the news out first) and are not thought of as investigative journalists. In other words, heir business model is to get the news out first, not provide in-depth reporting.

In this instance they mention the word mirrorless exactly one time:

The consumer shift to smartphones for casual photo taking has pummelled demand for compact cameras, while the growing popularity of lighter mirrorless cameras has taken away market share from higher margin single-lens reflex cameras.

that sentence does not even mention Canon or this earnings report. I suspect it was drawn from another report or "stock" research. You are welcome to argue the shift to mirrorless, but citing that article will not help your argument. It mentioned zero facts to support its "shift to mirrorless" claim, and again, was not even directly attributed to Canon's earnings.

If you look around, Canon points to falling demand in China (mostly office products) due to their weakening economy as well as falling CONSUMER level camera demand. Also mentioned is the Yen's falling value and a hit on profits from acquisitions.

The company made 71 billion Yen (600 million USD) profit in the quarter. Not too bad.

here's a blurb from another article:

But revenue in the latest period was 3.4% higher as office equipment demand in other markets held up.

Canon and domestic rivals including Sony and Olympus have seen a big drop in sales of their digital imaging products as camera-equipped smartphone sales boom.

http://timesofindia.in​diatimes.com …/articleshow/49​556656.cms (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,139 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 28, 2015 18:03 |  #22

http://www.nasdaq.com …ats-in-the-cards-cm536008 (external link)

Sony Corporation SNE is set to report earnings results for the second-quarter fiscal 2015 on Oct 29.

In the preceding quarter, Sony returned to the growth path, after posting a series of negative earnings results. This leading electronics manufacturer reported its strongest earnings in the last quarter since 2007, with high gains from sales of image sensors units being the major driver.

uh oh, Sony's business is based on "sales of image sensors" not cameras !!!

and has had negative earnings lately !!!

:p

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 28, 2015 18:04 |  #23

The Dark Knight wrote in post #17763646 (external link)
But I think the point of that Reuters article is that we are in the midst of that shift towards mirrorless. Yes DSLR is still king, but Reuters seems to be arguing that it won't be for long.

Some mirrorless sales cutting into DSLR sales is not a "shift towards mirrorless". Thats like saying we are shifting towards electric powered cars over gas powered cars because they have risen in sales and some buyers have started to choose them instead. Its simply not true. Its a poorly written article full of assumptions.

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by dexter75. (2 edits in all)

Oct 28, 2015 18:07 |  #24

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17763706 (external link)
uh oh, Sony's business is based on "sales of image sensors" not cameras !!!

and has had negative earnings lately !!!

:p

Yep, and they mostly have Apple to thank for that as they ordered a massive amount of Sony sensors for the new iPhone 6S/6S Plus that went into production over the summer.

chantu
899 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 28, 2015 18:16 |  #25

Here's something to consider - there's whole new generation of photographers who grew up an iphone in hand and has been their first camera. And essentially, the iphone is a mirrorless EVF camera, so a "real" mirrorless camera would be natural extension of that. In fact, an OVF to these new breed of photographers may seem weird. So mirrorless is here to stay. Canon, for too long has stuck their head in the sand, and ignored mirrorless. Times have changed. Canon needs to adapt or go the way of Kodak.

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,531 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 28, 2015 18:53 |  #26

I was just at Disneyworld and I noticed a LOT of consumer DSLR's. I would bet things will move more toward mirrorless in the future, I know many who have either switched or are considering switching ( me included )

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,139 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 29, 2015 09:00 |  #27

chantu wrote in post #17763723 (external link)
Canon needs to adapt or go the way of Kodak.

this always cracks me up.

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by dexter75. (2 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2015 11:26 |  #28

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17764328 (external link)

Me too. Its like the people who said Apple needed to make larger screen iPhones years ago because others were or they would end up like Blackberry. They needed to up the camera from 8 megapixels years ago because others were or they would end up like Blackberry. Or they needed to do this or do that because the competition was outselling them or they would end up like Blackberry. They eventually did some of those things (just as Im sure canon will this time around), but on their own time, not when people were shouting from the rooftops they needed to do it or they would die off. Yea, Apple sure died off didn't they? lol

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,862 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 29, 2015 12:59 |  #29

dexter75 wrote in post #17764472 (external link)
Me too. Its like the people who said Apple needed to make larger screen iPhones years ago because others were or they would end up like Blackberry. They needed to up the camera from 8 megapixels years ago because others were or they would end up like Blackberry. Or they needed to do this or do that because the competition was outselling them or they would end up like Blackberry. They eventually did some of those things (just as Im sure canon will this time around), but on their own time, not when people were shouting from the rooftops they needed to do it or they would die off. Yea, Apple sure died off didn't they? lol

Sometimes it works, but remember, many were urging Blackberry to do the same and by the time they figured it out, it was too late. Same with Kodak. There were those urging Kodak to get into digital and by the time they did, it was too late.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

chantu
899 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by chantu.

Oct 29, 2015 13:06 |  #30

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17764328 (external link)

About what? Isn't Canon indeed getting much more involved with mirrorless? Isn't Canon indeed putting their read sensors on-chip, to reduce noise and increase Dynamic Range. I think Sony has lit a fire under Canon's butt ... and I think they will respond in kind.

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

sponsored links

5,684 views & 18 likes for this thread
Canon Profits down - Does anyone have anymore info on this news report?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.