Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro
Thread started 01 Nov 2015 (Sunday) 03:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A Bee and a Fly

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Nov 01, 2015 03:44 |  #1

I recently finished version 3.0 of a new diffuser design and took it for a test drive. The new diffuser set is smaller, and sits further back from the subject, than my previous two versions. Still get the same light quality though, so I'm hitting the limits of what can be done with the apparent light size (so close to the subject that I'd have to at least double the size of the diffuser to make any difference in the diffusion).

Just about every insect will clean itself before moving to another flower. I'm not sure if this little Sweat Bee is cleaning its legs, or its proboscis.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (3x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads mounted to the Canon flash mount, 0 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: It was very windy, so windy that the bee couldn't tell that I had grabbed onto the flower's stem with my left index finger and thumb. I then carefully rested the lens on that same hand to keep everything steady.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/769/22634039165_a231b163ef_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Au6n​hz] (external link)Preflight Maintenance (external link) by John Kimbler (external link), on Flickr

This is a male Stomorhina lunata and it is an egg predator, laying its eggs in grasshopper and locust nests. So it's important for pest control.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (over 3x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads mounted to the Canon flash mount, 0 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: It was very windy, so windy that the fly couldn't tell that I had grabbed onto the flower's stem with my left index finger and thumb. I then carefully rested the lens on that same hand to keep everything steady. I also had to bait this one with some artificial nectar because it was very skittish.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5765/22477974570_9c820ce986_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Afiu​HG] (external link)Feeding Fly (external link) by John Kimbler (external link), on Flickr

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

CanopicJar
Goldmember
Joined May 2014
Bethel, Ohio
Nov 01, 2015 11:49 |  #2

Awesome!

Travis
Canon 70D | Canon 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 STM | Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 USM | Twin Speedlite 270EX II's | Speedlite 550EX | Set of tubes
flickr (external link) My other hobby (external link)

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Nov 01, 2015 11:55 |  #3

Thanks again Travis :)

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

630 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Bee and a Fly
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.