Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife
Thread started 11 Nov 2015 (Wednesday) 04:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Share your Best Deer Stalking Shot

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 13, 2017 10:33 |  #271

OhLook wrote in post #18471856 (external link)
Good for you, Tom! They seem to have replaced the sky in the second cover?

Chet wrote in post #18471862 (external link)
They only replaced 1/2 of the sky which is odd.

Congrats Tom, on 2 covers. Wicked sweet.

On the 2nd cover, it looks like they replaced part of the sky with a section of blue sky with clouds, and then blended that patch into the main photo by making the color of the clouds match the color of the sky in the original image. It gives the illusion of an image taken from a much closer position, with a wide angle lens, because the sky/cloud edge is pretty much in focus, whereas it would have been completely blurred out if captured at 560mm like the deer was.

OhLook wrote in post #18471856 (external link)
Since you can work on wildfires, we need you down here. :-(

I'd love to come down there to help with your fires!

I actually asked my boss about the likelihood of that happening, and he says it's possible, because a couple of our engines are dispatched out of Oregon, but they would have to exhaust all of the agency (government) resources first before they dispatch private contractors.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 13, 2017 10:40 |  #272

OhLook wrote in post #18471867 (external link)
The first buck got a new left ear, proving that a cover-worthy shot doesn't require perfect luck with a pose. The left ear appears to be the right ear, cloned and flopped.

An astute observation!

So often, the shot with the best ear position is not the shot with the best leg position. . Or, when the ears are "right" the deer's tongue will be out (they continually moisten their nose by licking it every few seconds). . Or, the deer will be captured in "mid-blink" when the ears are good. . That stuff drives us deer photographers nuts!

But, thankfully, those using the images have folks on staff who are good with Photoshop, and can fix all that stuff. . That's why they ask (actually, require) us to submit images that are completely unedited - because they want the most "virgin" file possible so that they can work with it themselves to get the most out of it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

fma
Mostly Lurking
Joined Nov 2009
Oct 13, 2017 13:03 |  #273

I don't normally 'stalk' deer, rather preferring to wait in a particular spot for them to come to me. On this occasion I did as waiting in any one spot meant being eaten alive by the ravenous Mosquitoes! You can see them around this Roe Deer bucks head.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.frankanders​onphotography.com (external link)http://frankandersonph​otography.blogspot.co.​uk (external link)

ed57gmc
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Turlock CA
Oct 13, 2017 15:26 |  #274

OhLook wrote in post #18471867 (external link)
The first buck got a new left ear, proving that a cover-worthy shot doesn't require perfect luck with a pose. The left ear appears to be the right ear, cloned and flopped.

At least they didn't try to make his legs look skinny. :-D

Ed
Canon 7D, T2i, EF 100-400mm L, EF 100mm 2.8 L, EF-S 15-85mm, EF 50mm 1.4 IS, 480 EX, etc.

SCALPA
Joined Jul 2012
France
Oct 14, 2017 13:36 |  #275

fma wrote in post #18471968 (external link)
I don't normally 'stalk' deer, rather preferring to wait in a particular spot for them to come to me. On this occasion I did as waiting in any one spot meant being eaten alive by the ravenous Mosquitoes! You can see them around this Roe Deer bucks head.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by fma in
./showthread.php?p=184​71968&i=i3452463
forum: Wildlife

Nice shot

Panasonic GX80 100-300 12-32
Olympus 45 1,8

mkkaczy
Joined Mar 2012
Poland/Ireland
Oct 15, 2017 10:57 |  #276

IMAGE: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/923/odI84K.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://imageshack.com​/i/pnodI84Kj] (external link)

http://500px.com/mkkac​zy (external link)

FreeSoul1987
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Oct 16, 2017 20:54 |  #277

Took my son hiking this evening, decided to grab my camera just in case I'd see Big Boy. Got a few good shots of some does, but my son has yet to understand what "shhh... we're stalking deer" means...........:lol:

Second image, there was a 3rd young deer near her (not close enough for this shot) but I'm pretty sure this doe had 3 fawns... or maybe an extra was just following her? Can deer have 3 fawns at one time?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.comexternal link
Gear: Canon T2i, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

FreeSoul1987
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Oct 16, 2017 20:58 |  #278

And here are the only two shots of a buck, unfortunately I couldn't get close enough in time to know for certain whether this as Big Boy or one of his offsprings.
There are currently 4 large bucks in this area, ranging from Big Boy (12 points) to Small Boy who last year I noticed was 4 points, there is a 6 pointer and an 8 pointer as well. I did spot a Spikey tonight.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
Gear: Canon T2i, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

FreeSoul1987
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Oct 16, 2017 20:59 |  #279

Here is an image of Spikey.

HOSTED PHOTO

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,189 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 16, 2017 21:28 |  #280

FreeSoul1987 wrote in post #18474377 (external link)
Can deer have 3 fawns at one time?

Yes, sometimes they have triplets.

FreeSoul1987 wrote in post #18474381 (external link)
And here are the only two shots of a buck, unfortunately I couldn't get close enough in time to know for certain whether this as Big Boy or one of his offsprings.

Your buck is well camouflaged. I can't find anything but trees there.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

FreeSoul1987
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Oct 16, 2017 22:11 |  #281

OhLook wrote in post #18474401 (external link)
Yes, sometimes they have triplets.

Lol, he's in the center area. A tree is nearly "cutting" him in half.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 17, 2017 00:21 |  #282

OhLook wrote in post #18474401 (external link)

FreeSoul1987 wrote in post #18474428 (external link)
Lol, he's in the center area. A tree is nearly "cutting" him in half.

Those shots can be pretty cool - the ones in which only a small part of the buck is showing through the woodland vegetation. It's a view that hunters can certainly relate to, as that is often all they get to see.

One of the most difficult things to do with those types of opportunities is to focus on the buck and not to accidentally focus on some random twig or leaf. This is darn near impossible most of the time!

I love the updates on your pursuit of Big Boy! Perhaps the upcoming November rut will finally give you a stellar opportunity.

FreeSoul1987
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Oct 17, 2017 11:21 |  #283

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18474487 (external link)
Those shots can be pretty cool - the ones in which only a small part of the buck is showing through the woodland vegetation. It's a view that hunters can certainly relate to, as that is often all they get to see.

One of the most difficult things to do with those types of opportunities is to focus on the buck and not to accidentally focus on some random twig or leaf. This is darn near impossible most of the time!

I love the updates on your pursuit of Big Boy! Perhaps the upcoming November rut will finally give you a stellar opportunity.

:-):-):-) Thank you, he is a passion of mine. I think this area is a refuge for them and he is one of those rare Stags who have been able to hide and stay away from danger. He never seems in that "trance" during rut like the other bucks, but he gets out more during the rut. I will definitely be out and about more during November :-):-):-)

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2011
East Bay, CA
Oct 18, 2017 14:52 |  #284

She was being stalked by me and a buck at the same time.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4503/37676575246_25b453d539_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Zpmi​bW] (external link)Hiding Doe (external link) by Eastbaygirl925 (external link), on Flickr

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

FreeSoul1987
Joined Jul 2012
Southern Indiana
Oct 18, 2017 17:27 |  #285

A couple images from yesterday morning.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

58,905 views & 793 likes for this thread
Share your Best Deer Stalking Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.