Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 15 Nov 2015 (Sunday) 12:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to minimize glare and reflections inside a museum?

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 15, 2015 12:57 |  #1

When it's allowed, I like to photograph museum exhibits. My favorite gear is the Canon 6D and 24-70 f2.8 II lens. I never use flash.
The problem I encounter is the glare and reflections due to the exhibits being housed in glass enclosures. I try to position myself to
reduce the reflections, but I still get them.

Another problem is the museum lighting. One museum I visit often use a large number of miniature floodlights mounted on the ceiling.
This shows up as small spots of light on my photos.

Any suggestions on minimizing these unwanted artifacts? Perhaps a lens filter? Post processing techniques?

Here's two examples. Note the reflections and spots of light...

Willie Mays jersey

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Babe Ruth's pants

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Nov 15, 2015 18:19 |  #2

Depending on how deep the cases are, getting up close to the case, with a rubber lens hood to shield the glass, can help. Circular polarizers can also help reduce reflections. If you're with someone else, you might see if they'll hold something up to help block the lights, but then you risk cutting the light on the subject too far.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 15, 2015 18:21 |  #3

Heya,

Unfortunately there's no real easy way to do it other than position and playing with angles.

I'm not sure a CPL would eliminate all of it either, but it could help in some cases.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
NJ, USA
Nov 16, 2015 15:59 |  #4

Rubber lens hood and wide angel pressed against the glass or a CPL

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

vraspagraphix
119 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Nov 17, 2015 11:49 as a reply to DisrupTer911's post |  #5

It's obvious that you could not use the camera against the glass and a rubber lens hood isn't going to make any difference. The reflections are not coming from the front element surface of your lens which is the purpose of a lens hood. A polarizer will help with the secondary reflections but not the direct reflection of light sources. Moving around a little may help in some cases but when you move the lens off axis to the subject you are going to get some shape distortions. The only real way to deal with this problem is with a shift lens on a view camera. Not really practical for your situation.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Nov 17, 2015 13:42 as a reply to vraspagraphix's post |  #6

A rubber lens hood pressed against the glass will, in some cases, allow you to block the outside light from the part of the museum case you're shooting through. In the two specific photos that OP posted, it probably wouldn't help much but in other cases, where there's a deeper case or smaller object, it can be a real boon, especially since the flexible hood allows you to shoot obliquely, while a regular hard lens hood would pretty much constrain you to shooting straight through the glass.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,892 posts
Joined May 2007
SF Bay Area
Nov 17, 2015 15:02 |  #7

Notice that the reflections in the jersey shot are all at the top 1/4 of the image because the lights are overhead.

OK, why not raise the camera position until the reflections are above the top of the desired image? You'll have keystone effect, of course, but you can correct that in PP.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 17, 2015 15:08 |  #8

I have had to take photos of framed photos at events before. I found shooting at an angle worked best. Just move around until you find the angle that works for your situation to cut out certain objects in the reflection or reflected lights.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother taking photos at a museum unless it is of me/my family in the photo next to an object. You are going to the museum to see the items in person. Not to see them through a lens or to look at the photos later. If you want to look at photos of museum objects, just google them. You will find much better photos online.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 18, 2015 10:06 |  #9

BlakeC wrote in post #17787519 (external link)
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother taking photos at a museum unless it is of me/my family in the photo next to an object. You are going to the museum to see the items in person. Not to see them through a lens or to look at the photos later.

I like looking at them later.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,961 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 18, 2015 15:10 |  #10

Wow, you would need a window size hood to cover that large glass encasing..hehehehehheh​ehe..... Frankly, your only viable and realistic option is to shoot it at different angles.....move around and see if you can still see the background reflection. If not....well, that's the nature of the beast. And just live with it...

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

farmer1957
Joined Jul 2012
nevada
Nov 24, 2015 01:07 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #11

Reflection
I will do my best to explain.
What causes Electromagnetic polarized waves ( EPW ) aka reflection or other words known as glare.

EPW can be emitted by some sources of light like florescent lighting.
It is said that the suns light doesn't contain or emit EPW in its light.
EPW are kind of like a hitch hiker once the light has been.
Reflected , refracted or scattered the light then has electromagnetic polarized waves attached to it.
So if the suns light passes through ( ENOUGH ) space dust its been scattered and or reflected and will be polarized.
Nice bright sunny day at the lake and the suns reflection blinds you off the smooth surface of the water.
So you wear polarized sun glasses

When light that contains EPW strike or come in contact ALL non metallic smooth surfaces it creates electromagnetic reflection. AKA ( Glare )

The lights in the museum most likely is being reflected down and possible the lighting in is also softened ( scattered and reflected ).

So all the lighting in the museum contains EPW and even if you held up a panel that had linear polarized film stretch across the panel so the light striking the base ball shirt has been linear polarized
and used a CPL on your lens which is called the cross polarization technic .
its not going to do you any good because the glass is refracting the light and cause all the light to be polarized and there for you will never be able to fully control the reflection issues you have.
Your only hope is getting the right angle so you are not dealing with a direct angle of light or reflection.
And use a CPL on your lens .

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 24, 2015 12:02 |  #12

farmer1957 wrote in post #17794817 (external link)
Reflection
I will do my best to explain.
What causes Electromagnetic polarized waves ( EPW ) aka reflection or other words known as glare.

EPW can be emitted by some sources of light like florescent lighting.
It is said that the suns light doesn't contain or emit EPW in its light.
EPW are kind of like a hitch hiker once the light has been.
Reflected , refracted or scattered the light then has electromagnetic polarized waves attached to it.
So if the suns light passes through ( ENOUGH ) space dust its been scattered and or reflected and will be polarized.
Nice bright sunny day at the lake and the suns reflection blinds you off the smooth surface of the water.
So you wear polarized sun glasses

When light that contains EPW strike or come in contact ALL non metallic smooth surfaces it creates electromagnetic reflection. AKA ( Glare )

The lights in the museum most likely is being reflected down and possible the lighting in is also softened ( scattered and reflected ).

So all the lighting in the museum contains EPW and even if you held up a panel that had linear polarized film stretch across the panel so the light striking the base ball shirt has been linear polarized
and used a CPL on your lens which is called the cross polarization technic .
its not going to do you any good because the glass is refracting the light and cause all the light to be polarized and there for you will never be able to fully control the reflection issues you have.
Your only hope is getting the right angle so you are not dealing with a direct angle of light or reflection.
And use a CPL on your lens .

I'm sorry to say this, but this is complete gibberish, and in no way provides an explanation of polarized waves. Unfortunately I have to apologise that due to my current state of health producing a good eplanation is not going to be possible.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

farmer1957
Joined Jul 2012
nevada
Nov 25, 2015 12:21 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #13

https://www.boundless.​com ...-and-reflecting-643-6054/ (external link)

farmer1957
Joined Jul 2012
nevada
Nov 25, 2015 12:55 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #14

Hi Alan if you want to jump in, Jump in with both feet.
If you wish to educate anyone then do it.

Just how hard is it for you to post links on polarization ?
About as hard it is for you to write the word jibberish ...............

sharod
Joined Apr 2007
Greencastle, PA
Nov 26, 2015 05:42 |  #15

OP, I too struggle with window reflections. I just shot a few of a storefront. I have no real issues with reflections on the front glass, my reflections come from glass behind the display. This art studio is downtown and on a main street with buildings across the street. I use a CPL on my lens. I just do my best to get the best angle to get the least amount of reflections possible. I have tried pretty much every angle, there's no getting rid of them all. If anyone has any other suggestions, I always welcome them.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/583/22584328214_abfc6526ca_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ApGz​Xd] (external link)Art studio front window (external link) by SHARON OBERHOLZER (external link), on Flickr

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/ (external link)

sponsored links

4,529 views & 3 likes for this thread
How to minimize glare and reflections inside a museum?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.