Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 20 Nov 2015 (Friday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Aviation Bucket List ideas.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2015 16:14 |  #1

I thought it might be a good idea to start an aviation bucket list thread, with peoples thoughts on the must see places and events, worldwide. I thought that by sharing those amongst ourselves it could help those of us who are keen on aviation find those must see things that otherwise might be missed when traveling.

So here are a few of mine. Where I have been I have highlighted in blue and where I have some detailed info I will include it.

Smithsonian Institute Washington DC USA The Wright Flyer, what more needs to be said.

Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden Airfield, Nr Biggleswade Bedfordshire England. Oldest airworthy aircraft in the world. Also probably the best collection of Veteran and Vintage aircraft anywhere. They fly the first Sunday of the Month May to October, the October event is the last display in the annual UK airshow calendar. My favorite airshow location!

Kennedy Space Center, Florida USA. Would love to spend more than just one day.

Royal Air Force Museum, Two locations this time. there's London which is at RAF Hendon, Collingswood (North) London. the second is at RAF Cosford Staffordshire, this is in the north midlands, it is very good, but I visited back in about 1980 when I was an air cadet.

Airventure? Oshkosh, Supposed to be the largest airshow in the world. Somewhere in the USA.

Imperial War Museum, IWM has many sites. most importantly from the aviation point of view is IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire. On the site of the former RAF Duxford airfield. This is the largest of the IWM locations too. there are usually three main airshow weekends at Duxford. Late May and early September, and the big show Flying Legends in July. Also worth a the rest of the sites are good too. There is the main museum IWM London, Lambeth Road, Lambeth London, as well as HMS Belfast, a WWII cruiser next to Tower Bridge. The Churchill War Rooms, London, and the Northern branch in Manchester.

Swiss Transport Museum, Lucerne Switzerland. I have only heard about this museum, supposedly one of the best aviation collections in europe.

Reno Air races, Reno Nevada USA. Probably the most famous Pylon Racing event in the world.

Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT), RAF Fairford Gloucestershire England. Probably the largest annual airshow in the UK. I haven't been since the 80's when it was up the road a bit at RAF Greenham Common. The very first RIAT, held at the old WWII fighter station RAF North Weald, was the very first airshow that I can remember attending as a child.

Farnborough Airshow, Farnborough Airport, Farnborough, Hampshire, England. Possibly the most famous "trade" airshow, with two public display days. This show is held Biannually, in even numbered years, so the next show will be in July 2016. In the past the show was traditionally held in September. The show gained some notoriety due to the fatal crash of the de Havilland DH110 in the 1950's which killed test pilot John Derry, his navigator, and a number of spectators. After the incident was dealt with they continued with the rest of the show.

Paris Airshow Paris-Le Bourget Airport, Paris France. The world's oldest airshow, starting in 1909. This is the French version of Farnborough, with trade days first, then three days open to the public. The next show will be in 2017 will be the 52nd.

This seems like a good number of entries to stop at for now. Please feel free to add your own ideas, I think I could probably spens ages adding to this myself, but for a lot of those things I would have very little knowledge.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,184 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 20, 2015 16:28 |  #2

Good list. It still needs the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, (external link) a true “living” museum of antique aviation located in the historic town of Rhinebeck, New York."

And how about the Mach Loop (external link) for action that you won't get anywhere else?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2015 16:39 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

Well Old Rhinebeck, was part of my main intention for this thread, to expand my own, and the groups knowledge of aviation locations/events worldwide. I thought around ten for the first post would be about right, and did not want to make it too UK centric. I know that there are some good things to see "Down Under" too, so hopefully our Antipodean members can fill us in on those. I guess I need to sort myself a super dooper off road powered wheelchair/mini tank, and then I can add both Mach loop, and Axalp (external link) to the list.

More?

Alan

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,284 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by TustinMike.

Nov 20, 2015 16:48 |  #4

How about this one:

Brooklands Museum - not only noteworthy for the aircraft on display and their aviation history, but also (even more so, perhaps) for their automotive legacy: http://www.brooklandsm​useum.com/index.php?/e​vents/ (external link)

Well worth a visit (and not far from Heathrow so not too far out of the way if visiting the UK from elsewhere)

All New Year, All New Sig !

Warbird55
220 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 23, 2015 08:12 |  #5

USA:
US Air Force Museum - Dayton Ohio (on my list)
Planes of Fame Museum and Airshow - Chino California (on my list)
Thunder Over Michigan - Ypsilanti Michigan

UK:
Biggin Hill
Goodwood

Canon 7D2 Gripped | Canon 7D Gripped | Canon SL1 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II | Canon Extender 1.4x III | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,284 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 23, 2015 11:06 |  #6

Warbird55 wrote in post #17793808 (external link)
USA:
US Air Force Museum - Dayton Ohio (on my list)
Planes of Fame Museum and Airshow - Chino California (on my list)
Thunder Over Michigan - Ypsilanti Michigan

UK:
Biggin Hill
Goodwood

USAF Museum is amazing ! I've gone once, for an all-too-brief visit - it really deserves a couple of days.

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 23, 2015 12:03 |  #7

TustinMike wrote in post #17791005 (external link)
How about this one:

Brooklands Museum - not only noteworthy for the aircraft on display and their aviation history, but also (even more so, perhaps) for their automotive legacy: http://www.brooklandsm​useum.com/index.php?/e​vents/ (external link)

Well worth a visit (and not far from Heathrow so not too far out of the way if visiting the UK from elsewhere)

My other main interest is target shooting. On one occasion driving home from Bisley camp, in really bad weather the motorways were all flooded, so we were using local roads. We ended up driving past some of the Brooklands banking. My teenage son decided it would be fun to walk all the way to the top. Unfortunately that section was all covered in moss etc, so when he slipped/slid down on his backside his jeans were covered in muck. He had to sit in the car in his boxers for the rest of the four hour drive home.

This section of the Brooklands banking is opposite a Tescos supermarket.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Warbird55, unfortunately the Biggin Hill Air Fair (as it used to be known) is not nearly as good as it used to be back in the 70's and 80's. I'll always remember seeing an English Electric Lightning doing a high speed stall, sitting facing vertically while it did a tail slide along about half the length of the runway, before climbing vertically until it was out of sight, which only took about ten seconds. Creating it's own little puff of cloud as it passed through the contrail layer. That would have been in about 1980. When it comes to Battle of Britain airfields I much prefer Hornchurch and Kenley. The first RAF Hornchurch because I grew up close to the airfield, and played there a lot as a kid in the old dispersal pens. The second RAF Kenley I did my Air Training Corps Gliding Scholarship at.

Alan

graham121
677 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 03, 2015 02:56 |  #8

From an Antipodean point of view...

I have just returned from Warbirds Downunder at Temora in NSW, about 6 hours SW of Sydney and 6 hours N of Melbourne.

Definitely worth it, not often you'll get to a see an apron like this.. I think I counted 16 just in this shot

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5691/23320111115_870a84a56b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BwHE​zi  (external link) 1DM42694 (external link) by Graham Mahoney (external link), on Flickr

Over the Tasman in the land of the long white cloud, Warbirds over Wanaka is the display to get to from what I have heard.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,284 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 03, 2015 10:44 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #17794049 (external link)
My other main interest is target shooting. On one occasion driving home from Bisley camp, in really bad weather the motorways were all flooded, so we were using local roads. We ended up driving past some of the Brooklands banking. My teenage son decided it would be fun to walk all the way to the top. Unfortunately that section was all covered in moss etc, so when he slipped/slid down on his backside his jeans were covered in muck. He had to sit in the car in his boxers for the rest of the four hour drive home.

This section of the Brooklands banking is opposite a Tescos supermarket.

Yep, the historic banking is deceptively steep...doesn't look that bad from the base but once you walk up it you realize just how steep and slippery it is.

Among other great historic aircraft there is one of the Concordes, which (when we were there back in '07 at least) was open for tours through the interior, though we were pressed for time so unfortunately just made do with a walk-around.

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 03, 2015 12:58 |  #10

Just a quick question, since we have mentioned Brooklands. Is there any of the original "Brickyard" circuit left at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

Alan

PhotosGuy
75,184 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by PhotosGuy.

Dec 03, 2015 13:00 |  #11

BigAl007 wrote in post #17805943 (external link)
Just a quick question, since we have mentioned Brooklands. Is there any of the original "Brickyard" circuit left at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

Alan

https://berniesautomot​ive.files.wordpress.co​m/2013/03/original-bricks.jpg (external link)

https://www.google.com …WKZ18LDgN3tv2Iy​msLxp68%3D (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

philipljackson
21 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 13, 2016 17:18 |  #12

Hi

Top of my list is Davis Monthan Air Base.

Regards

PLJ

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,539 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 14, 2016 00:03 |  #13

Well, I'm a yank and would love to spend some time in England.
From the photos I've seen on the net, the Brits have some helluva good air shows.

So a trip to England is on my bucket list.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2016 06:23 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #14

Frank I'm not sure just how long our really good shows might last. We already had some of the most stringent airshow saftey rules in the world, following the DH110 crash at Farnborough in the 1950's. Following last years Shoreham crash the kneejerk reactions have been pretty severe. I have read some reports on FB by the owner/cheif pilot of one of the major display collections that make disapointing reading. Reports of one over the sea show that only allowed a closest approach to the crowd line of 1200m. At another show CAA banned aerobatic type manouvers as part of the show, even where the aircraft was in uncontrolled airspace, away from the airfield, and above the minimum altitude for those types of manouvers. If he had not been taking part in the show, he could have legally gone and flown aerobatics in that location. The responce from CAA to that seems to have been do what we say, or we pull your display permit. The ablity to bank the aircraft towards the crowd, to display the top side of the aircraft seems to have been made very difficult too. I have not been very well this year, and so have not been able to get to any airshows, so haven't seen the affects first hand.

Alan

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,539 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 14, 2016 08:32 |  #15

Thanks for the update, Alan. That is sad to hear.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links

11,192 views & 6 likes for this thread
Aviation Bucket List ideas.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.