Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 23 Nov 2015 (Monday) 17:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

HDR software

eaglesnest
189 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ontario, Canada
Nov 23, 2015 17:29 |  #1

Is there any good HDR software beside Photomatix?

www.eaglesnestphotogra​phy.comexternal link

sponsored links
russellsnr2
971 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Nov 23, 2015 23:50 |  #2

http://www.sns-hdr.com ...d38d6d3bd2491f8fc82​0bc363 (external link)

NIK HDR Efex Pro

and many more with a google search.

My personal pref is the SNS-HDR

Russ

Many Thanks,
Russell.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Nov 24, 2015 10:15 |  #3

eaglesnest wrote in post #17794395 (external link)
Is there any good HDR software beside Photomatix?

yes.

kirk

Kirk
---

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Reservoir Dog.
Nov 25, 2015 17:56 |  #4

Luminance HDR http://qtpfsgui.source​forge.net/?page_id=10 (external link) and it's free

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Pebal
Joined Jun 2010
Dec 06, 2015 13:09 |  #5

You try SNS-HDR Pro 2.0 Alpha 2 (external link).

wysiwyg59
Joined Oct 2009
Southern MN
Dec 07, 2015 23:17 |  #6

2 weeks ago I acquired a new Canon 7D MkII, traded in my old 7D. Tonight I went out to take photos of area house with decorations. I took a three shot bracketed image on one house. When I got home I downloaded them into Aperture. Then I used MacPhun's new Aurora HDR Pro and the results when it uploaded the three images is below. I also tried PhotMatix and got the same results. What did I do to cute this. all three images look great by themselves.

Thanks

IMAGE: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/wysiwyg77/Screen%20Shot%202015-12-07%20at%209.31.05%20PM_zpsdx8egray.png
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s305.photobucke​t.com ...20PM_zpsdx8egray.pn​g.html] (external link)

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
Joined Jan 2013
Out of the pack
Dec 07, 2015 23:22 as a reply to wysiwyg59's post |  #7

No more ink !

More seriously IMHO it look like a MacPhun software problem if it happen only in Aurora

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by kirkt. 7 edits done in total.
Dec 08, 2015 09:18 |  #8

I tested the trial of AuroraHDR and it failed miserably on all of my test image sets except for the ones that had a mildly extended dynamic range (-2EV, 0EV, +2EV). The trial version (1.0.1) that I used is loaded with interface bugs as well as the inability to cope with high dynamic range. I have been emailing back and forth with their tech support and sent them test image set raw files, copious notes and Console logs, etc. to see if they can figure out what is going on. One of the things I noticed is that the merge seems to get confused over the relative EV of the source images and tends to draw the shadow data from the underexposed source images (!) and blows out highlights. This is the opposite of what should happen in reality. The interface displays the EV range of the source files in the upper left of the interface window and it should read "-Y EV ... 0 EV .. +X EV" where Y and X are the bookend limits of the source range - mine always reads "0EV ... 0EV ... 0EV" so this may give an indication as to why the merge is f'ed. Also, take a look at the histogram in the screenshot above - I have seen this strange gap in the histogram of many MacPhun products and cannot understand what it represents (the cyan plot skewed toward the shadows in the screen shot).

Considering it was designed in concert with Trey Ratcliff, I am not surprised. That above image of the holiday lights is right in Ratcliff's repertoire.

We will see if they can produce a product that can actually work and compete with the slew of other HDR products. I use some of MacPhun's other software occasionally and it does some really nice things. AuroraHDR, not so much.

Kirk

EDIT: It looks like there is an update to AuroraHDR to v 1.1.0.

EDIT 2: The new update does nothing to address any important shortcomings, and it has eliminated the EV display to which I referred, in favor of indicating the number of source images used in the merge. To me, that means they could not get the EV indicator to work. If that is the case, there are probably a lot more problems going on under the hood.

EDIT 3: apparently the EV display only shows up now if you feed the app 3 images.

EDIT 4: The EV display does not show up with 3 images, just an image count.

Kirk
---

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Dec 17, 2015 11:10 |  #9

And now SNS-HDR Pro 2.0 Alpha 3 (external link) :-)

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

mistermonday
360 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Ottawa Canada
Dec 28, 2015 20:58 |  #10

You might want to check out PhotoEngine by Oloneo. It has some unique features. But like every other HDR app it has its weaknesses, notably image alignment and ghost removal.
Cheers, Murray

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Dec 29, 2015 06:34 |  #11

mistermonday wrote in post #17835630 (external link)
You might want to check out PhotoEngine by Oloneo. It has some unique features. But like every other HDR app it has its weaknesses, notably image alignment and ghost removal.
Cheers, Murray

Welcome to POTN, Murray:-)

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

DigiBill
Joined May 2010
North of Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Apr 01, 2016 09:05 |  #12

eaglesnest....

Recently, at the suggestion of Martin, I tried easyHDR and like it. I also use Photomatix. I like both.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by DagoImaging.
May 15, 2016 11:09 |  #13

My new favorite is Machinery HDR. Price is right and works very well.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,992 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
May 16, 2016 10:14 |  #14

kirkt wrote in post #17811415 (external link)
(AuroraHDR) - Considering it was designed in concert with Trey Ratcliff, I am not surprised.

EDIT 2: The new update does nothing to address any important shortcomings...there are probably a lot more problems going on under the hood.

LOL. Not a big Ratcliff fan, eh?

DagoImaging wrote in post #18007735 (external link)
My new favorite is Machinery HDR. Price is right and works very well.

That's debatable - a matter of choice. Machinery HDR has to be re-purchased (re-licensed) every year if you want continuing support and updates.

IMHO, the best bargain out there right now is free - HDR Efex as part of the Nik Suite. I have not looked since google made it free, but I assume HDR Efex is still part of the suite. How much longer HDR efex will be a valid contender is unknown. However, at this time it does a pretty good job. In my personal use, I find HDR efex to be better than the (now) also-ran Photomatix, and also better than Oloneo which I have not used in years because they were never able to get the anti-ghosting algorithm working properly.

Website (external link) |

eddieb1
687 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
May 16, 2016 10:22 |  #15

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18008778 (external link)
LOL. Not a big Ratcliff fan, eh?

That's debatable - a matter of choice. Machinery HDR has to be re-purchased (re-licensed) every year if you want continuing support and updates.

IMHO, the best bargain out there right now is free - HDR Efex as part of the Nik Suite. I have not looked since google made it free, but I assume HDR Efex is still part of the suite. How much longer HDR efex will be a valid contender is unknown. However, at this time it does a pretty good job. In my personal use, I find HDR efex to be better than the (now) also-ran Photomatix, and also better than Oloneo which I have not used in years because they were never able to get the anti-ghosting algorithm working properly.

I've been using Machinery HDR since it's beginning and haven't had to repurchase it. Where have you seen this?

sponsored links

10,647 views & 2 likes for this thread
HDR software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.