Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 30 Nov 2015 (Monday) 08:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dog Breath Photography - such gorgeous pictures - how does she do it?

lxb
20 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by lxb.
Nov 30, 2015 08:17 |  #1

Newbie around these parts so I hope this is the right spot. I'm interested in pet photography like dogbreathphotography.c​om - those photos are stunning. Anyone familiar with that pet photographer? http://WWW.dogbreathph​otography.com (external link)

ETA: wasn't sure if there's a thread around here for a "how was this shot" question. I just love the entire style. Not affiliated or anything, just would love to take beautiful pictures of my own pooch like this.

sponsored links
BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 30, 2015 08:25 |  #2

lxb wrote in post #17801507 (external link)
Newbie around these parts so I hope this is the right spot. I'm interested in pet photography like dogbreathphotography.c​om - those photos are stunning. Anyone familiar with that pet photographer? http://WWW.dogbreathph​otography.com (external link)

ETA: wasn't sure if there's a thread around here for a "how was this shot" question. I just love the entire style. Not affiliated or anything, just would love to take beautiful pictures of my own pooch like this.

They are great photos. It seems pretty obvious how she does it though - she takes the time to plan and setup the shot. Most of those shots are done differently. You would have to link to a specific photo for advice on how to take that particular one. It will vary for each photo. You also need to know how to work with dogs. I do some charity work for an animal rescue photographing the animals. It takes patience and knowledge just to get them to do what you want.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 30, 2015 08:25 |  #3

i'm guessing … with a very bright flash, a ND filter and lots of practice and patience.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

lxb
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Nov 30, 2015 08:33 as a reply to BlakeC's post |  #4

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://i64.tinypic.com​/mbkg92.png
Click here to see our image rules.

Thanks for any insight. I just wondered how she gets the dog so large compared to the sky too.

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Nov 30, 2015 08:33 |  #5

These are truly impressive. I too would love to try to get this look.
Camera is low to the ground.
At least one flash/strobe.
Wide angle lens.
Looks like very wide aperture but I'll bet that's done in post, since it'd be hard to have a very narrow DOF with a very wide angle lens.
I think the camera's in a water tight enclosure for a lot of the shots.
Very fast exposure times, at least 250th of a sec if not faster.

Wonderful work, thanks for pointing it out!!

Canon EOS 6D | Sony α6300 / ILCE-6300, DSC-RX100M2 |

lxb
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Nov 30, 2015 08:40 as a reply to philodelphi's post |  #6

how wide angle are you guessing? I have a 35mm on a full frame. Think wider than that?

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Nov 30, 2015 08:41 |  #7

lxb wrote in post #17801507 (external link)
Not affiliated or anything, just would love to take beautiful pictures of my own pooch like this.

Just some general advice for this. Prepare to get dirty. Get low and use low angles. Beware, most dogs see you getting on the ground as a sign that you want to play. Some dogs also do not like cameras or anything pointing at them or in their face. They tend to look away. A good way to work around this is to have a helper or, if you can manage on your own, use a toy or treat to distract them and make them look where you want. Give your dog some time to get used to the camera. Learn to predict what your dog will do and where they will go so you can anticipate the shot.

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Nov 30, 2015 08:44 as a reply to lxb's post |  #8

I just noticed that Dog Breath is mentioned on another thread:
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​446132

They mention a video on KelbyOne and a poster there said they use a 16-35.
Not all of the photos use wide angle by the way, there was at least one in an urban setting that didn't.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by BlakeC.
Nov 30, 2015 08:45 |  #9

lxb wrote in post #17801541 (external link)
how wide angle are you guessing? I have a 35mm on a full frame. Think wider than that?

You will need to experiment with your dog. You may need wider...maybe a 24? A zoom is much easier. Your dog will want to move around and run towards you or really far away. Or you may have a lazy dog who is easy to work with. My problem with my dog is he wants to wrestle any time I get on the ground. Using a long prime won't work with mine because he likes to get close. I highly suggest a zoom so you can adapt.

Blake C

philodelphi
Joined May 2008
King of Prussia PA USA
Nov 30, 2015 08:55 as a reply to BlakeC's post |  #10

If I were doing this (and I hope to try soon!!) I'd set the camera up on a tripod and use a remote to fire it. I'd prefocus and expose, manual everything on the camera and use a wireless remote to fire the camera when the dog was in the area I intended.

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,675 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 30, 2015 09:01 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17801521 (external link)
i'm guessing … with a very bright flash, a ND filter and lots of practice and patience.

Yup. A lot of those shots have a 'strobest' feel to them where the ambient exposure is dropped by a stop or two and a strobe is used on the subject to bring up the exposure. It is nice work for sure.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 30, 2015 09:29 |  #12

Heya,

Definitely strobes. Would be easiest with an assistant to hold lighting where needed. Could be ND filter + strobe. Or could be HSS with strobe. Most look wide angle. Would make sense with a stranger with a dog to have someone toss a toy, or have the dog called by the owner, and the photog be near the owner so as they come in, you know where they will come to and have your strobe in place, and just take a shot or two as they come in. Some look like natural light with long telephoto that has fast aperture, but really really trained dogs. But the action stuff is wide angle and strobe for sure. Same techniques used in portraiture. If ambient is knocked down enough, the strobe is exposure duration, and can freeze water, etc, no problem even at slow shutter speed. HSS can do it without knocking out ambient too much with fast shutter speed.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

lxb
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Nov 30, 2015 11:17 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #13

Thank you so much for the insight. What kind of modifier would you guess? I have one strobe - an Alien Bees 800 - and a 50" softbox but I've never taken those outdoors.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 30, 2015 12:06 |  #14

lxb wrote in post #17801745 (external link)
Thank you so much for the insight. What kind of modifier would you guess? I have one strobe - an Alien Bees 800 - and a 50" softbox but I've never taken those outdoors.

24~48" softbox (octa) or umbrella. Something relatively light. I would guess a 360ws strobe on battery pack (like AD360).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

AlFooteIII
Joined Jul 2013
New York City
Nov 30, 2015 15:33 |  #15

Researching some of the EXIF data, they're primarily using the EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM (generally @ 16mm) and the EF50mm f/1.4 USM.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/external link
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photographyexternal link

sponsored links

9,165 views & 17 likes for this thread
Dog Breath Photography - such gorgeous pictures - how does she do it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.