Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Nov 2015 (Monday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 563: Motion Blur

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,504 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by OhLook.

Nov 30, 2015 21:28 |  #1

Challenge #563, Motion Blur

Six entries--not a bad turnout at all, and considerable variety in what was blurred. Getting to the details:

Spoco57, "ND Fun": A well-exposed treatment of a classic subject for exercising an ND filter. The wildflowers in the foreground do much to give this scene a greater sense of reality. They put the viewer's feet on the ground: you know where you're standing.

just whistle, "Java in Motion": Nicely lit shot of someone "stirring coffee" on a large scale. I enjoy behind-the-scenes views of other people's mysterious work and usually can't get access for taking them. The complementary colors worked out well.

Maureen Souza, "Playing Tug of War": A fun shot of companions doing what they like to do. I have to admire your ability to hold still long enough to get this one. I would have been laughing too hard. Pretty dog!

Raven, "Water on Glass": I like this as an artistic image approaching abstraction. Honestly, though, I don't see motion blur in it. The direction of the water streaks shows that motion has occurred, but the streaks are sharp. The background is blurred bokeh-style, but it doesn't seem to be moving.

Trumper, "Water, fluid movement": Again, an appealing image, only it doesn't show motion blur as far as I can tell. No doubt, the water was moving, but the image is too sharp to highlight the movement.

teekay, "Hockey Confusion": Here's motion blur, all right, and it makes the scene what it is. Those ghostly players moving in all directions must be quick and agile. Perhaps some of them are even moving in the right direction?

WINNERS

First place: teekay, "Hockey Confusion"
Second: just whistle, "Java in Motion"
Third: Spoco57, "ND Fun"

This week's topic is motion blur. Let's see some motion blur, intentional or not, that contributes to making your shot a good one.

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.

To submit, click POST TO THREAD and put your photo title in the first line of the post. Don't forget your camera model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 7 December 2015.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II and Pro1 only.

2. Time -- Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- Photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1280 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

4. Post-Processing -- Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT.
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT or earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 01, 2015 19:46 |  #2

ND Fun
G1X

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

just ­ whistle
333 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 03, 2015 11:45 |  #3

Java in Motion
G7X

HOSTED PHOTO

Lesley
Canon SX50, G7X, SX260

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,836 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 03, 2015 13:55 |  #4

Playing Tug of War
Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 04, 2015 05:16 |  #5

Water On Glass

G16

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v112/p1820734080-5.jpg

Trumper
787 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 04, 2015 16:31 |  #6

G1X MK2
Water ,fluid movement

HOSTED PHOTO

teekay
Goldmember
2,826 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 05, 2015 17:49 |  #7

Hockey Confusion

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Hockey1024.jpg
G15

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Spiderwoman
16,504 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 07, 2015 12:03 |  #8

All done. Results are in Post #1. Thanks to all for playing!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

just ­ whistle
333 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 07, 2015 13:46 |  #9

Thank you for the nod, OhLook. We were at a local coffee roaster/shop enjoying a fresh cup where they roast beans one day a week. We were lucky enough to get a seat up close at the viewing bar. This was one of my very first attempts at motion.

Teekay, your hockey shot is excellent! Spoco, cool waterfall! Well done, all.

Lesley
Canon SX50, G7X, SX260

Trumper
787 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 07, 2015 14:11 |  #10

:-) Well done everyone ,i can smell the coffee from here :) YUM .Ice hockey,isn't that the fight that is occasionally broken up by a game of Hockey :)

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 07, 2015 16:39 |  #11

Congrats to Teekay and just whistle! Nice shots. I love the motion. My favorite, I think, was the coffee! I love the color combo in the coffee pic!

Mine was shot at Letchworth State Park in NY, at the middle falls. It was my first try with the G1X's built-in ND filter. I had the camera on a rock wall and was just touching the shutter button. I don't normally like those 'milk water' waterfall shots but I just had to try.

Thanks for doing the honors OhLook. Much appreciated. Nice topic and glad folks are back from their holiday and submitted their photos. And thanks for the podium spot, too!

Steve

teekay
Goldmember
2,826 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 07, 2015 18:19 |  #12

Thank you! I'm truly surprised as I thought Spoco's beautiful waterfall or Just Whistle's coffee cascade would take top spot.

The hockey shot was a result of trial and error. I was handholding the G15 with nothing to brace against while using 1/5 sec to get the blur. Out of 23 shots there were only a few that didn't have the background blurred as well due to hand movement. Also the weird lighting required a bit of fiddling in PP.

I'll try and get a new challenge up tonight.

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 07, 2015 22:46 |  #13

Congrats teekay, Steve and Just Whistle. I think all the photos were worthy (er, except for mine :-).
Excellent challenge this week, OhWell. Thanks for hosting a good one!

Since my brother went back home to NY last week, I've been running on empty trying to catch up with all I hadn't done while he was here.
So when this challenge was posted, I read the new theme way too quickly (thinking about the next thing I had to get done). So the key word that stuck with me was "blur".
My bad. :-)
Come on January 1......

just ­ whistle
333 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 07, 2015 23:03 as a reply to  @ Raven's post |  #14

Raven, I thought perhaps you had shot through the car window as it was moving. I said "Wow" out loud when I saw it. Pretty darn good, with or without motion. :-) I appreciate your entry during a stressful time.

Lesley
Canon SX50, G7X, SX260

teekay
Goldmember
2,826 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 07, 2015 23:07 |  #15

New challenge now up!

sponsored links

5,499 views & 9 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 563: Motion Blur
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.