Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Dec 2015 (Sunday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GODOX AD600 Witstro

jlafferty
172 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 08, 2018 14:26 |  #2026

Your spreadsheet has some interesting elements. WS per kilogram - nice!

To put it in more broad, simple terms: the AD200 in the twin head is significantly lighter than the 600, at least in my book - about 15% lighter. It obviously affords you the advantage of packing smaller, and the flexibility of taking only one head, or separating both for key/fill or key/rim, etc. Also, because of it's slightly lower output, it recycles faster. It has a better modeling light.

The downsides: in a hard modifier like a magnum or long throw, it projects a double shadow, so for my purposes, if I want the "magnum look" it's either that I center a single bulb and accept the halved output, or I use the 600 for my key and move the dual 200 to fill in a socked umbrella. And this is in fact how I often work with a 600 and the twin head 200s - it's a good strategy.

The 600 remote head is awesome for booming. I just shot two dancers recently and did the first shoot with the 600 boomed, and swapped it out for the remote head on the second shoot and it's really a pleasure to use in those circumstances.

I'm not trying to dissuade you or challenge your idea of what you feel is right for your workflow, just trying to put some of your numbers and expectations in context. The twin head brackets for the 200s is a game changer and for some applications the best tool currently on the market. I've been shooting food with a really spare setup using two 200s and the packing size, mobility, output, weight, lack of cables make it a dream setup. The small 7" reflector that you can get for the bare bulb is super efficient and when you throw it through a piece of vellum or similar frosted plastic it's a really nice source. I'm getting ISO64-ISO100, 1/160th, f/9-f/11 using a pair of 200s at 1/4 power in this way.

Hope you're happy with your setup and find it supports your creative endeavors :D

jtra wrote in post #18602076 (external link)
So I have decided on ad600bm+h600b (against 2x ad200 + ad-b2). I have tested how happy I would be with 2.5kg on top of stand plus 1kg modifier and I felt remote head would be best for me (and I can get by with lighter stand so "bag" weight of ad600bm+h600b might be quite similar).
With deals available (ebay, no local deals), the price of kits including 2x ad200 + ad-b2 would be about 50% more than kit with ad600 (which also includes better modifier). I can do kicker light for overcast weather with small flash, I don't need second ad200 for it, at least I hope.

If anybody is interested in comparing ad200 and ad600, I have a lot of resources in shared spreadsheet: https://docs.google.co​m …YnQr0CqJv56SHI/​edit#gid=0 (external link)

Current Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
jtra
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 11, 2018 00:52 as a reply to  @ jlafferty's post |  #2027

My ad600bm arrived, but failed when testing.
I assembled the unit. Battery was charged 3 of 4 bars. I pressed test button (it was at some low power level 1/256 or 1/128), it flashed ok. I pressed test button again and felt it was different in terms of light output, sound. I also smelled very weak burning smell (which might be normal on new unit). No flashes since then. Everything else works. Modeling light works. No error is indicated in display. I tried triggering optically in S1 mode, but it did not work either.
I tried detaching and re-attaching bulb few times. I tried it few hours later again. I could hear high pitch sound of recharging capacitor after turning on, but no flashes. No sound is emitted when pressing test button. I don't have other unit to identify if flash body or bulb is at fault. Both look normal to me.

Is this failed bulb or main unit?
Did you have bulb failure? How did bulb looked like after failure?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,690 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 15 days ago by RDKirk.

Apr 11, 2018 06:28 |  #2028

jtra wrote in post #18604373 (external link)
My ad600bm arrived, but failed when testing.
I assembled the unit. Battery was charged 3 of 4 bars. I pressed test button (it was at some low power level 1/256 or 1/128), it flashed ok. I pressed test button again and felt it was different in terms of light output, sound. I also smelled very weak burning smell (which might be normal on new unit). No flashes since then. Everything else works. Modeling light works. No error is indicated in display. I tried triggering optically in S1 mode, but it did not work either.
I tried detaching and re-attaching bulb few times. I tried it few hours later again. I could hear high pitch sound of recharging capacitor after turning on, but no flashes. No sound is emitted when pressing test button. I don't have other unit to identify if flash body or bulb is at fault. Both look normal to me.

Is this failed bulb or main unit?
Did you have bulb failure? How did bulb looked like after failure?

Figuring out what failed does not change the necessary response. Return it.

jlafferty
172 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 11, 2018 07:08 |  #2029

Agreed. I've never heard the 600 make capacitor charging sounds.

RDKirk wrote in post #18604468 (external link)
Figuring out
what failed does not change the necessary response. Return it.

jtra
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 15 days ago by jtra.

Apr 11, 2018 11:08 |  #2030

If it would be just bulb, the ebay seller might agree send me another without me packing the whole kit (including softbox, case, etc.) sending it back and buying again.

jlafferty wrote in post #18604481 (external link)
Agreed. I've never heard the 600 make capacitor charging sounds.

Really? This one did.
I have recorded unpacking and testing. Here: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=dGIVtPXu3vw (external link)
The charging sound also briefly audible at 7:00 when I powered the flash. But it is quite high pitch so not everybody would hear it. I can hear it even from video. Powering again shortly after does not produce the sound as capacitor is already charged. Discharge takes few hours. Edit: Of course, it can be also discharged by flashing at higher power levels, but mine does not discharge that way now, because it is not flashing.

The failure is at 7:08 when I pressed the test button second time.

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,268 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 11, 2018 13:24 |  #2031

Mine don't make any charging noises either

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

jlafferty
172 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 11, 2018 13:33 |  #2032

You're not in the US, is that correct?

jtra wrote in post #18604629 (external link)
If it would be just bulb, the ebay seller might agree send me another without me packing the whole kit (including softbox, case, etc.) sending it back and buying again.

Really? This one did.
I have recorded unpacking and testing. Here: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=dGIVtPXu3vw (external link)
The charging sound also briefly audible at 7:00 when I powered the flash. But it is quite high pitch so not everybody would hear it. I can hear it even from video. Powering again shortly after does not produce the sound as capacitor is already charged. Discharge takes few hours. Edit: Of course, it can be also discharged by flashing at higher power levels, but mine does not discharge that way now, because it is not flashing.

jlafferty
172 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 11, 2018 13:42 |  #2033

OK. Watched parts of your vid and also got mine out. Yes, it does whine at startup, just like yours. But only on the first boot up. If I power cycle it in a few seconds/minutes, it doesn't happen again.

However, mine also makes a ready beep when it's ready to fire - I notice yours didn't (might just be a setting).

I suggest in the future, charge the battery fully before first use.

I only hope your seller is flexible with the return - see if you can have them send you a bulb, or order one from another vendor yourself, try it. Hopefully it works. If not, make sure the seller permits a return say 15-30 days out so you can still return the unit.

Sorry man :( That really sucks.

jtra wrote in post #18604629 (external link)

Really? This one did.

jtra
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 11, 2018 15:25 |  #2034

jlafferty wrote in post #18604738 (external link)
However, mine also makes a ready beep when it's ready to fire - I notice yours didn't (might just be a setting).

That is a setting. I tried to turn beep on. It beeps every time I press test button (no flash emitted). It also beeps in S1 slave mode when I trigger it with test button on my SB-600 flash (no flash emitted from ad600bm).

I suggest in the future, charge the battery fully before first use.

I would not expect any different outcome with fully charged battery. Battery showed 3 of 4 bars so I assumed it is safe to do few flashes (at low power). In fact charging it now would be bad, because I would not be able to discharge it. I don't think it is good to ship Li-ion batteries fully charged.

I only hope your seller is flexible with the return - see if you can have them send you a bulb, or order one from another vendor yourself, try it. Hopefully it works. If not, make sure the seller permits a return say 15-30 days out so you can still return the unit.

Sorry man :( That really sucks.

I hope as well. Btw, I'm in the Czech Republic and I was buying from ebay.co.uk from Chinese seller with good rating. Locally, the ad600bm is available only from single shop (where price of just ad600bm is slightly higher than what I ordered which includes folding 80x80cm softbox, x1t-n, h600b, case, bag for head), also they don't have it in stock.

sponsored links

430,544 views & 720 likes for this thread
GODOX AD600 Witstro
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.