Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 13 Dec 2015 (Sunday) 12:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photo editing with a 17" IPS laptop vs desktop monitor

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Perfectly Frank.
Dec 13, 2015 12:48 |  #1

I have my eye on a Dell laptop with a 17" IPS display. Here's the spec: 17.3" UltraSharp™ FHD IPS (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit.

I want to edit photos using CS and LR. I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro.

There are some who edit photos using laptops. Others will only use a 22" or larger desktop monitor.
Actually, 17" seems like a pretty good size for editing. So I want to know what I will miss by using a 17" laptop
display over a large monitor? Does using a desktop monitor result in better post processed images, or easier to
post process? As you can guess, I never have used a desktop monitor for pp -?

Oh, here's the laptop...
http://www.dell.com ...tion/pd?oc=xctomp77​1017us (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Dec 13, 2015 14:17 |  #2

In my opinion...a laptop is adequate for processing, especially for a hobbyist.

Some pros will tell you that editing with anything other than a desktop is going to result in shoddy work.

My only problem is the computer you link to comes in at almost $1700. Spec-wise...you're getting hosed. Is the draw to this laptop the 4k display? Because at the 17" screen size, I don't think it's going to give you much of an advantage.

If the 4K is the must-have, get a adequately spec'd laptop and buy a 4k monitor. A quick look on best buy gives a 17" i7, 16gb, 1TB for under $900. Slap in a 500GB SSD and buy an enclosure for the old hard drive for $200, and buy a 28" 4K monitor for $500...and you've still got $100 to buy something for your wife so she doesn't go into conniptions with all the boxes you're bringing home.

Or spend that last $100 on a color calibrator, and hide the boxes well.

That's where I'm coming from.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 13, 2015 14:55 |  #3

I agree that the idea of a 17" 4k just seems pointless. But I've not looked at one first hand.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 14, 2015 12:58 |  #4

agrandexpression wrote in post #17817584 (external link)
In my opinion...a laptop is adequate for processing, especially for a hobbyist.

Some pros will tell you that editing with anything other than a desktop is going to result in shoddy work.

Is the draw to this laptop the 4k display? Because at the 17" screen size, I don't think it's going to give you much of an advantage.

My draw to this laptop is portability, being able to use it at different locations. Actually, I've never seen a 4k display. But I've read that
IPS displays are best for post processing images. This laptop has an IPS display.

Right now I'm trying to find out what compromises I'll have to deal with if I select a laptop over a desktop. Well, smaller size is one.
I also found out that laptop displays don't offer all possible colors & gradients as a desktop monitor. I don't know how big of a concern this is.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
Alberta, Canada
Dec 14, 2015 14:02 |  #5

You can edit using a laptop with a good IPS display if the laptop is powerful enough. My biggest frustration with any laptop I've used, Mac or PC, is that the keyboards are a compromise and you can't edit efficiently using the built-in track-pad. So, to get a good experience I'd need to connect a proper keyboard, along with a Wacom tablet and mouse.

17" is also small for editing, but workable. Right now (for me) I'm starting to find my 24" NEC to be a bit small. I'd like to have a bigger monitor that I can set back further to give me more desk space.

You can get a lot more machine for the money with a desktop. Again, for me, I'd give up portability to get a better machine for the same money (including monitor and keyboard) or spend a bit less for the same.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Dec 14, 2015 14:18 |  #6

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17818649 (external link)
My draw to this laptop is portability, being able to use it at different locations. Actually, I've never seen a 4k display. But I've read that
IPS displays are best for post processing images. This laptop has an IPS display.

Right now I'm trying to find out what compromises I'll have to deal with if I select a laptop over a desktop. Well, smaller size is one.
I also found out that laptop displays don't offer all possible colors & gradients as a desktop monitor. I don't know how big of a concern this is.

I agree...IPS are ideal for processing images. But you can find an IPS laptop for a much less price point.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 14, 2015 14:53 |  #7

agrandexpression wrote in post #17818755 (external link)
I agree...IPS are ideal for processing images. But you can find an IPS laptop for a much less price point.

Ok, I'll look around.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,489 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Dec 16, 2015 00:20 |  #8

Desktop for sure.

The deal with 4K monitors is that you get really good quality panels that are super sharp, however, due to pixel density, you get no added workspace, and instead you rely on scaling. Essentially, a 4K laptop has little functionality advantage over a 1080p laptop. I happen to have a 13" with 2560x1440 resolution, and it simply is no better than my 17" 1080p laptop, probably worse even. You want as much size as possible with a pixel density around 100. That means 27" 2560x1440 or 34" 3440x1440 or 40" 4K. A 27" 4K has no advantage over a 27" 2560x1440 other than that added crispness. I think the sweetness is the 34" 21:9 ratio. The 40" I tried was good, but it has like a stadium type viewing, a tad too big for comfort, which made navigation a little tough.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 16, 2015 12:19 |  #9

^^Great information, thanks.

sponsored links

1,687 views & 2 likes for this thread
Photo editing with a 17" IPS laptop vs desktop monitor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.