Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 17:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

G5x workaround

streetlighter
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Dec 23, 2015 17:34 |  #1

Greetings, I'm currently looking at the G5x for street shooting. It pretty much ticks all the boxes except the little front dial by the grip.As I'll be shooting single handed, I'm concerned that if assigned a function such as shutter speed my finger will move the dial when shooting because it looks and feels easy to do. Any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

sponsored links
avigar
Joined Jun 2009
Northern IL
Dec 23, 2015 21:48 |  #2

I believe you can disable it via the menu. You can always download the G5X user manual from the Canon website to read up on it prior to your purchase.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,591 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Dec 23, 2015 21:59 |  #3

Do you plan on using the viewfinder but still shooting one handed?

If not and you're not going to be holding the camera to your eye, why not go with the G7x? The tilt screen will help with composing your shot from waist level and it's a somewhat smaller camera, yet has (I believe) the same innards as the G5x.

Mark J.
Gear

streetlighter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Dec 24, 2015 10:13 as a reply to avigar's post |  #4

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm pretty sure you can disable it, yet it seems a shame to pay $$$$ for a camera whose feature must be disabled. I guess maybe I'm rethinking the purchase.

streetlighter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Dec 24, 2015 10:14 as a reply to M_Six's post |  #5

Thanks for you reply. I'll take a look at the G7x.

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Dec 24, 2015 13:06 |  #6

streetlighter wrote in post #17830275 (external link)
Greetings, I'm currently looking at the G5x for street shooting. It pretty much ticks all the boxes except the little front dial by the grip.As I'll be shooting single handed, I'm concerned that if assigned a function such as shutter speed my finger will move the dial when shooting because it looks and feels easy to do. Any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

I've had the G5X for a couple of months. I usually shoot in Aperture priority, and the front dial controls aperture. I don't recall ever accidentally changing a setting. However, I can see how it might happen.

FYI - at least for Aperture and Shutter priority modes, I don't think you can disable the front dial. In those modes, the front dial is set for Aperture and Shutter Speed respectively. In the menu, the front dial is "grayed out." You can't choose it to change it.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

streetlighter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Dec 26, 2015 16:01 as a reply to LJ3Jim's post |  #7

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll pass on the camera as it may also be a little too small. Too bad, as it ticked so many boxes.

avigar
Joined Jun 2009
Northern IL
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by avigar.
Dec 26, 2015 20:22 |  #8

streetlighter wrote in post #17833189 (external link)
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll pass on the camera as it may also be a little too small. Too bad, as it ticked so many boxes.

Have you actually held a G5X or have seen one in person? It's slightly smaller than a bridge camera, more like a Canon G16. I haven't had any issues with the size of the camera. I've attached a hand strap on the right side to make it feel more secure for me. Also, since I shoot mostly in Aperture mode, I have the display programmed to show the Aperture info by default at all times, either through the LCD or EVF.

streetlighter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Dec 27, 2015 09:33 as a reply to avigar's post |  #9

Yes, I've held it several times. Aside from the dial problem my hand seems a little too cramped for all day comfort. I mostly shoot single-handed.

avigar
Joined Jun 2009
Northern IL
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by avigar. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 27, 2015 15:16 |  #10

streetlighter wrote in post #17833901 (external link)
Yes, I've held it several times. Aside from the dial problem my hand seems a little too cramped for all day comfort. I mostly shoot single-handed.

Have you looked into a bridge camera, something like the Panasonic Lumix FZ300? It's slightly larger than the G5X, but yet smaller than a DSLR. I like the fact that it has an EVF, Leica lens, and constant f/2.8 aperture throughout its zoom range. Alternatively, there's also the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 with the larger sensor.

Here are the feature highlights of the FZ300 and the website link:

Capture moments with superb 4K imaging performance in both video and exclusive 4K PHOTO
24X Zoom (25-600mm) full-range F2.8 aperture Leica Lens
Worry-free splashproof / dustproof body
5 Axis Hybrid Optical Image Stabilization assures steady photos and videos
12.1-megapixel high sensitivity MOS sensor achieves superb low light image quality

http://shop.panasonic.​com ...t-cameras/DMC-FZ300K.html (external link)

streetlighter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Dec 28, 2015 09:03 as a reply to avigar's post |  #11

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'll give them a look.

Jon-Luke
60 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Kalk Bay, A small fishing village close to Cape Town, South Africa
Jul 27, 2017 08:30 |  #12

Its actually easy to operate the dial using one handed operation, although I would recommend using a wrist strap or the neck strap just in case you loose control of the camera and drop it. In fact my only gripe is that the Exposure Compensation Dial could have rather been a similar dial to the one on the front where you could rather assign shutter speed, iso or aperture - personally I hardly ever use exposure compensation, but maybe I will learn to use it more...

Canon EOS 7D | Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 | Sigma 30mm Ã1.4 | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200mm Ã4 L
Canon G5X (Point & Shoot)

flickr Slide Show (external link)

sponsored links

3,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
G5x workaround
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.