Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 04 Jan 2016 (Monday) 16:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best lenses for real estate photography?

cccc
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
Sacramento, CA
Jan 13, 2016 21:40 as a reply to post 17857064 |  #31

Industry secret: most images aren't viewed at sizes where minute discrepancies in sharpness and CA are relevant.

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 13, 2016 22:25 |  #32

cccc wrote in post #17857393 (external link)
Industry secret: most images aren't viewed at sizes where minute discrepancies in sharpness and CA are relevant.

photographer's secret: lenses are usually used for more than one application.

:D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,289 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 14, 2016 11:13 |  #33

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17857033 (external link)
what's that buy you in SF about 800 SF?

The median price in SF hit $1 Million, as of July 2014, and is now $1.14 Million...that gets you 2 BR. Only 5 years ago, that same 2 BR would have cost 0.7 Million.
Folks are paying about $1040 per square foot for that 2 BR place. It is absurd what folks pay per sq.ft. for smaller homes, as larger homes are 30% less per sq.ft. ...the techies with good salaries are responsible for bidding up the entry size homes!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tntadroit
21 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Jan 14, 2016 17:38 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #34

I think it goes both ways. The people selling to those techies are laughing their way to the bank! 1M is about 12k in property taxes and the school system in SF is not that good either. Plus, those that are way past 1M usually include 200k of upgrades which creates jobs for everyone!
On a serious note, it took me 1 year to evict someone just so I can live in my own home. Will I ever rent to anyone? Hell no.

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Jan 25, 2016 09:43 |  #35

I do all my jobs with 2 lens : 14mm Rokinon and TSE-24mm II. The rokinon is barely used. I mostly do all my shot with the TSE-24mm II using the shift function. I have mastered the HDR + Shift panorama. It makes everything look great with no convergence issue.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

farmer1957
Joined Jul 2012
nevada
Feb 20, 2016 09:06 as a reply to post 17848502 |  #36

TSE 17mm F4 L
TSE 24mm MK 1 or II
TC 1,4 extender for the TSE 17mm F4 L
5D mk II
Descent lighting.
Good tripod

Personally most of the people I know who are in real estate, would be enough to make me not be willing to enter into any kind of verbal contract with them.

I don't know if I would be willing to enter into a written contract with them either ...

aboudd
Joined Feb 2013
Arlington VA
Mar 28, 2016 10:17 |  #37

I'm an architectural photographer based in Washington, D.C. I shoot condos, office buildings and rental properties for marketing in print and on the web. I use the Canon and Schneider tilt/shift lenses. The lens you would use the most for interiors is the 24MM TS-E II. It's not too often but for tighter spots I use the 17MM TS-E. If you were to buy just one lens, I'd recommend the 24 TS-E II (the original 24 TSE was soft). If you are shooting for money and can afford it, the 17MM can be handy to have. I also use two Schneider TS lenses, the 50 and 90MM, but those are reserved more for exterior elevation shots from a distance or detail work. Learn the Scheimpflug principle, which you can affect with the tilt function, it will serve you well.

As to lighting, I shoot in layers - the attached image was shot in 6 layers - usually covering 3 to 4 stops and then build the images in composites. However, supplemental lighting is still required. If live people are in the shot, I place them after the base exposures are done and use strobes, if not I use a constant light source. I used to use halogen, I've since switched to LED. I find they work wonderfully.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

8612images
731 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
May 20, 2016 17:07 |  #38

What lens do you like for the crop sensor (7d2) for indoor room shots?

Steve

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,695 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Jun 05, 2016 01:19 |  #39

I had before that 16-35L mk1 before i sell it, i recently bought Tamron 15-30 that i didn't test yet, but i think almost 2 years ago or 3 i bought Canon TS lenses, 17 and 24II, and i can tell you how idiot/stupid i was because not buying them much sooner before.

I was lucky to have gear, and if i will shoot real state and interior houses i will not look less than UWA and another medium FL or even wide FL lens such as 24-70 or 24 prime non TS or 20mm, above 24mm i will be so limited and it will force me to do more panos and stitches which will waste my time in editing too, even with 10-18mm FL i may be limited in few areas, so better to be in UWA then to go with slightly longer and getting limited more.

When i will maintain my house which is small and tight space then i will do some interior shoot, i miss that big house i lived in before, but it wasn't meant to be mine anytime once the [adopted] parents died, there i was experimenting with my both TS lenses, even with Samyang 14mm, but Samyang giving only so wide with ugly distortion somehow, so i more go with 17/24 in that case.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Smitty2k1
Joined Mar 2012
Washington DC
Apr 24, 2017 18:49 |  #40

aboudd wrote in post #17951791 (external link)
I'm an architectural photographer based in Washington, D.C. I shoot condos, office buildings and rental properties for marketing in print and on the web. I use the Canon and Schneider tilt/shift lenses. The lens you would use the most for interiors is the 24MM TS-E II. It's not too often but for tighter spots I use the 17MM TS-E. If you were to buy just one lens, I'd recommend the 24 TS-E II (the original 24 TSE was soft). If you are shooting for money and can afford it, the 17MM can be handy to have. I also use two Schneider TS lenses, the 50 and 90MM, but those are reserved more for exterior elevation shots from a distance or detail work. Learn the Scheimpflug principle, which you can affect with the tilt function, it will serve you well.

As to lighting, I shoot in layers - the attached image was shot in 6 layers - usually covering 3 to 4 stops and then build the images in composites. However, supplemental lighting is still required. If live people are in the shot, I place them after the base exposures are done and use strobes, if not I use a constant light source. I used to use halogen, I've since switched to LED. I find they work wonderfully.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by aboudd in
./showthread.php?p=179​51791&i=i232756045
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Nice shot!

My fiancee and I have been after our first condo/rowhome in DC for the last 6 months. I wonder how many MLS listings we looked at that had your photos?

Canon EOS 70D, EOS 600D / EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5 | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM |

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Whitby, ON
Apr 30, 2017 12:35 |  #41

When I shoot real estate, most of my day is spent dragging gear from one location to the next. I'm sure a zoom would be nice, but this Voightlander 20mm pancake has been a tank.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2872/33553496513_01fb0994b1_b.jpg

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

LoneRider
Joined Dec 2010
Marysville, WA.
Jul 14, 2017 06:33 |  #42

Shooting FF, I carry two lenses. Sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 and Tamron 24-70mm f2.8. The Sigma handles all the interior shots, but can flare badly outdoors when facing the sun so I keep the 24-70mm on hand.

I have the Canon 16-35mm f4L, but most of the houses I shoot are smaller houses with smaller rooms and the agents I work with prefer to show complete rooms in a single shot. While the 16-35mm would work in many cases, I like having the extra room from the 12-24mm when needed and by framing shots wide it give me more cropping flexibility in post.

I don't consider being able to show the whole room in a single shot as "deceiving". With furnishings, it isn't too difficult to determine size and scale.

~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

sponsored links

9,029 views & 12 likes for this thread
Best lenses for real estate photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.