Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Real full frame cameras

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,235 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 07, 2016 08:35 |  #1

Phase 1 announced a medium format 100mp back for their cameras. According to dpreview, they're calling it full frame. Does that mean that all the people who call 135 format sensors full frame have to start calling them something else? Will many "full frame" owners now have to run out and drop $49,000 on a camera so that they can continue to state that they only shoot full frame? I'm just asking.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …0_162913140_dpr​_nl_182_69 (external link)

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,228 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2016 08:43 |  #2

6x4.5 film is 56mm x 42mm

the new Phase One is listed as 53.7mm x 40.4mm while a typical MF camera back is a smaller "crop" sensor.

apples to oranges, they (35mm and MF) are both full frame.

technically though, 6x6 medium formant would probably be considered FF by some.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2016 11:49 |  #3

A number of us have, from the very beginning, objected to 135 format 24 x 36mm being used as 'full frame' definition, as if the 135 format were the standard against which all formats were judged...we brought up the point that 24 x 36mm was actually referred to as the 'miniature format' (apparently somewhat derogatorily) in the 1950s and early 1960s.
But for the common usage of 'FF' we all had to give up the fight, as the industry and journalists all referred to the 'crop' vs. 'FF' bodies both using the same lenses.

In the medium format world, the square 6x6 format was marketed by Hasselblad for a long time as superior to the 645 format. That marketing positioning disappeared as soon as Hasselblad started to put digital backs on their bodies, and all of the sensors were LESS THAN 645 (43 x 56mm) in size. For example one back offered by Hasselblad was 32.9mm x 43.8mm or a 1/1.3 crop vs. the 'FF 645'. It has taken medium format many, many years even to EQUAL the 43 x 56mm dimension. Ergo, in the medium format world sensors smaller than 43 x 56 were 'crop' and those achieving 43 x 56 (or thereabouts) are 'full frame'...and even 40.4mm x 53.7 is not truly 'Full Frame 645', but we'll let 7% sneak by.

That brings us back to 'FF' being a contextual reference, and NOT establishing 24 x 36mm 135 format as 'the standard reference'.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,995 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2016 12:00 |  #4

Why the pedantic hangup on the term full frame? It serves its purpose to distinguish between 35mm and crop sensors in bodies that share a form factor.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Jan 07, 2016 12:07 |  #5

gonzogolf wrote in post #17848486 (external link)
Why the pedantic hangup on the term full frame? It serves its purpose to distinguish between 35mm and crop sensors in bodies that share a form factor.

Me. pedantic and hung up? I am not hung up on it, I ceased trying a very long time ago, and merely was responding to the OP's question.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,522 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2016 12:50 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

MF cameras have the same issues as 35mm based cameras, one "full" frame, and one with a smaller frame "crop". Pentax uses a ~40mm sensor and phase 1 uses ~50mm.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,346 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2016 13:42 |  #7

To my mind, 35mm is 'full frame' within the context of the complete and preexisting lens lines that existed at the time that the digital sub-formats were invented that shared these same lenses.

So there is nothing wrong or silly about the name. And the existence of larger medium format sensors does nothing to change the fact that 35mm is 'full frame' for EOS.

People act shocked....like, how can 35mm be full frame when actual bigger sensors exist? Well, try shooting 6x6 with EOS or Nikon F-mount and you'll see what 'full frame' means.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Cuypers1807
Intact?
1,688 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 07, 2016 13:48 |  #8

Use of the words "full frame" is just a sales gimmick to make those with crop sensors feel inadequate and need to eventually upgrade to FF to be "professional".

Joby
Flickr (external link)_________My Site (external link)___________Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,995 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2016 13:49 |  #9

Cuypers1807 wrote in post #17848654 (external link)
Use of the words "full frame" is just a sales gimmick to make those with crop sensors feel inadequate and need to eventually upgrade to FF to be "professional".

There is a legitimate difference between the two formats that goes beyond marketing.

Cuypers1807
Intact?
1,688 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 07, 2016 13:51 |  #10

true... but not as much as 35mm to medium format film... or medium format to 4x5 or 8x10.

Joby
Flickr (external link)_________My Site (external link)___________Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,995 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2016 14:02 |  #11

Cuypers1807 wrote in post #17848663 (external link)
true... but not as much as 35mm to medium format film... or medium format to 4x5 or 8x10.

Nope. Nobody claimed that. It's just a term that describes a class of Cameras.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,268 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2016 11:02 |  #12

To me in MF the FF is 6x6 and 6x4.5 is half-frame. If Phase Uno has sensor as big as 6x6 it is FF in MF.
But what is 6x9 then...  :p

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,461 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 08, 2016 15:04 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #17848486 (external link)

Whatta ya, new to photography?

Arguing about semantics is one of the core principles of proper photography. It's right up there with measurebation, pixel-peeping, and complaining about new gear that hasn't been released yet.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Alveric
Goldmember
4,416 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 08, 2016 15:09 |  #14

Cuypers1807 wrote in post #17848654 (external link)

Never in life. You have to remember that full-frame cameras appeared before cropped sensors. If anything, it's the crop that's the gimmick to make people who can't afford or are unwilling to pay thousands for a camera buy DSLR cameras.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
54,014 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2016 15:22 |  #15

Hmm.. Interesting, a quick peek at Wiki (external link) seems to indicate that the term Full Frame has been around since 1932 and was used to define a frame size almost equal of today's digital crop cameras. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

2,285 views & 4 likes for this thread
Real full frame cameras
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.