Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 11 Jan 2016 (Monday) 10:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking at getting a new camera. New 6D vs. Used 5D Mkiii vs. waiting for 6D Mkii

marsh9077
36 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 11, 2016 10:30 |  #1

I have an older 7D and I am looking at upgrading to a full frame. I have been looking hard at a new 6D or as used 5D Mkiii however I keep seeing rumors about a 6D Mkii coming out very soon. I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on my dilemma? For background info I am just a rookie weekend warrior non professional that likes taking pictures of all the neat places I seem to visit around the world. The one selling point for me on the 5D is the weather sealing (also why I now only have L lens), I spend ALOT of time outdoors and traveling, think multiple day treks, camera buried in backpacks bouncing around, etc. Also I really do not shoot much video so that is not a major selling point for me.

Also I am open to other camera suggestion is this price range that I may by unaware of, however they must be Canon for obvious lens reasons.

sponsored links
mathogre
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 11, 2016 12:43 |  #2

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

I'd forget about the 6DMII. It isn't out. I'm typically not a first buyer. If there's a problem with the item, in this case a camera, I'll let someone else discover them for me. I prefer to let at least a few months pass when something new comes out.

I know from another thread you're a backpacker, so weight is certainly an issue. (I do urban backpacking, weekends in NYC, so I grok the weight issue. That said, you do much more serious backpacking than me.) On weight and size the 6D is probably lighter and smaller, but the differences aren't going to be great. I'd look more at the differences in the cameras themselves. What do the cameras offer? What do you need? What can you do without?

As regards weather sealing on the 5DMIII, that assumes you have a weather sealed lens and that you add a filter (UV, skylight, whatever) on the front of the lens to ensure a proper seal. If you're going to be shooting in the rain, that probably matters. If you're shooting in light drizzle, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. For instance, last autumn I had my Rebel XSi and the 18-138mm lens on a photowalk. I had a skylight on the front of the lens. It drizzled for the entire 2 hour walk, and every five minutes or so I had to wipe the skylight with a paper towel as the accumulated drizzle added enough distortion to prevent the camera from focussing. After the event the camera was as good as ever. My 5DMIII has been out in light drizzle a couple times, without a front filter but with a hood, and it survived just fine.

Bottom line? Forget the 6DMII. Choose either the 6D or the 5DMIII based on your needs, covering both weather and what you need the camera to do.

Hope this helps!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,152 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 11, 2016 13:17 |  #3

Being a "weekend warrior" I would wait. It may be a long wait, probably late this year, but it will almost certainly be a be a big jump. Weather sealing is not a huge issue IMO, so long as you cover your camera, which is something you will want to do with a true sealed camera most of the time anyway.

Unless there is a strong reason, wait.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

marsh9077
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 11, 2016 13:56 |  #4

Thanks for the input guys. Mathogre weight of the bodies is not that much of an issue for me, I usually end up packing around a 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 and let me tell you what those things are heavy! Recently was in Thailand and Indonesian and packed those two around for 3 weeks and it seems like those things gain weight everyday.

As far as rain, I really don't shoot in the rain. Does not seem like its worth it. If its a light drizzle and I really feel like I need to take some pictures ill do the ghetto garbage bag with a hole in it maneuver. I mostly just like the idea that the 5D is sealed better. Seems like I spend a lot of time is dusty, sandy, dirty environments. I am defiantly not a studio, wedding, urban, etc. photographer although I would be interested in learning more about studio photography however that's another hobby and not enough time.

As far as what I need, well I am no pro so I not to sure I would really use either of these cameras to there full potential nor do I know what I want/need out of a camera. I do like the much larger focus selection ability on the 5D as well as the CF card slot since I already have a couple of these. Seems like form some quick good searches the Wi-Fi and GPS are a bid deal for the 6D however I double I would ever really use these features so that's not much of a selling point for me.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,885 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 11, 2016 14:41 |  #5

I would think it comes down to two things. Low light High ISO performance = 6D. Best in class AF = 5DIII. All of the other features are so close that it doesn't really come into play.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mathogre
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 11, 2016 15:05 as a reply to  @ marsh9077's post |  #6

Hi Marsh!

I'm not pro. A few years ago I was doing some fashion work and was considering the 6D vs the 5DMIII. I went with the latter as I really needed the flexibility of the cross type AF points. That was three years and about 60,000 shots ago. I've come to rely on the power of the autofocus functionality of the 5DMIII for lots of different activities. My sports, ballet, marching band, and zoo photos have benefitted by how I can make it handle action. If you've ever explored the AF functionality of the 7D, you should consider that in your decision.

I admire you've been able to travel around the world. Were I doing that and I was choosing between the 6D and the 5DMIII, I'd go with the 5DMIII. I've done shots with my ELPH 330, a great little camera in its own right. I love my G16 for all of its power. Regardless, were I to be traveling solo and wanted the greatest flexibility, it would be the 5DMIII. I can imagine situations where it would be neat to photograph some local sporting event or some public performance that you're allowed to photograph. The 5DMIII is a beast of a machine (and it's only that, a machine, a tool), but you can do lots of things with it.

On WiFi, the ELPH and G16 have WiFi. Big deal. The few times I've used them for WiFi was when I wanted to transfer a jpg to the iPhone to post on Facebook. (RAW wouldn't transfer from the G16.) That said, there are WiFi memory cards you can get if you want. GPS? My iPhone has GPS. Droids have it too. Again, who cares? I know where I am, and my travels are limited. There have also been GPS accessories you can buy to tag photos, and you can probably get some today. If you're traveling so much that it's difficult to keep track of where you've been, then some form of GPS tagging might be helpful. I know for me that GPS tagging isn't much of an issue, except in a couple rare situations. If I really need to tag my location, I take a photo with my iPhone.

Whatever you do, have fun, take great photos, and post them on PotN!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,735 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by bobbyz. (2 edits in all)

Jan 11, 2016 17:44 |  #7

Just move to Nikon or mirrorless from Sony/Fuji. So much easier now a days. Canon is smoking something and I say this as a canon user. What is canon to add in 6dmk2, maybe 9 or 11 cross type AF points, what else.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,177 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 11, 2016 20:54 |  #8

Have you considered the 7D2? It is perhaps one of the most sealed bodies, possibly rivaling some of the older 1Ds at the very minimum, based on the teardown article that is out there. It is the best crop body yet to date, and in fact, many have moved from the 1D3 (and even 1D4 in some cases) to the 7D2.

If that is not an option, then I agree with the others, just consider one of the two that are already on the market, and have already depreciated significantly rather than to wait for some not-yet-announced body.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

marsh9077
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 11, 2016 22:35 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #9

Bobbyz thanks fir the input however I have way too much invested in Canon L glass to switch. I also have been very happy with the Canons I have owned and probably will never switch as I don't really see a reason. Basically I just see it like Chevy vs. Ford.

TeamSpeed honestly I have not looked very hard at the 7d2 since I already have an older 7D I would really like to upgrade to a full to frame. Yes 7D2 looks like a great camera however I guess I have just put that one on the back burner since it's a crop sensor. I am not fully opposed to the 7D2 just did not want to dirty the water more by throwing another option in the mix.

Silver-Halide
773 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 11, 2016 22:57 |  #10

Sounds like the 6D is perfect for you. Besides you might like the GPS. I only got a few drops on mine at one wedding and it was certainly not enough to tell you that you'll be fine if you shoot it uncovered for a substantial period of time in the rain. I also have the 5dIII but bought it for wedding work... the dual card slots, 41cross type AF points, and some other minor crap. I'm happy enough taking my 6d for stuff that doesn't end with a lawsuit if it doesn't go well ;-)a

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

sfreer
42 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 12, 2016 08:38 |  #11

Rugged, weather proof, great AF, low light... maybe look for used 1D4?
I know if is heavier, but if you are in need of something rugged, it is hard to beat.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by ksbal.

Jan 12, 2016 15:01 |  #12

Why is a full frame needed? unless you need shallower depth of field.. I'd stick with your 7D or go to a 7D2. Although if you can wait a bit, the price of a 5D3 should come down with the 5D4 (or whatever they call it) announcement. With what you do I wouldn't put the 6D in the list if you rely on great AF outside the center point.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om …Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1​VNTE0/view (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 13, 2016 09:25 |  #13

bobbyz wrote in post #17854306 (external link)
Just move to Nikon or mirrorless from Sony/Fuji. So much easier now a days. Canon is smoking something and I say this as a canon user. What is canon to add in 6dmk2, maybe 9 or 11 cross type AF points, what else.

If they add another SD card slot and more focus Cross type AF they would sell like hotcakes!! But knowing Canon they would still cripple it with 1/4000 max shutter speed.

Op, buy the 5d3 and be done with it. You'll have a beast of a camera with fantastic performance. Since it's Canon that camera will keep up with the newer models with the "meh" canon noise control and banding. However if your gonna stick with Canon ........"we" must simply accept "it is what it is".

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | EF-X500 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,885 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 13, 2016 09:30 |  #14

AlanU wrote in post #17856500 (external link)
.... Since it's Canon that camera will keep up with the newer models with the "meh" canon noise control and banding. However if your gonna stick with Canon ........"we" must simply accept "it is what it is".

Actually, the 6D seems to have solved the banding problem quite well. It is way improved over the 5Ds.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,735 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 14, 2016 09:27 |  #15

marsh9077 wrote in post #17854667 (external link)
Bobbyz thanks fir the input however I have way too much invested in Canon L glass to switch. I also have been very happy with the Canons I have owned and probably will never switch as I don't really see a reason. Basically I just see it like Chevy vs. Ford.

Canon glass is so easy to sell IMHO better than Nikon. I had almost all canon L lenses and now only keeping 35L, 85L and 300mm f2.8 IS I. Everything else I am Fuji. Fuji lenses seem as good if not better than canon L to me. For what you shoot mirrorless are the best option. Smaller, lighter are the two main reasons IMHO. Not sure how FF helps vs crop for your situation. If more landscapes then I would definitely look at Sony. Canon is same old same old stuff. Even for me shooting portraits with 5dmk3, I can do almost same with XT1. I even did some side by side with Sony's latest FF A7rII and Fuji and unless I needed higher ISOs of the Sony, Fuji performed just as well. You can search my threads if you need to.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

2,891 views & 3 likes for this thread
Looking at getting a new camera. New 6D vs. Used 5D Mkiii vs. waiting for 6D Mkii
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.