Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 16 Jan 2016 (Saturday) 02:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I want a backpack, but shoulder bags are so much better....?

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Post has been edited 15 days ago by MakisM1.
Feb 06, 2018 12:27 |  #31

If you are going to carry a dSLR body with two decent lenses, you WILL NEED a backpack with a real belt strap and a chest strap as you grow older.

Or, hire a Sherpa...

I have the Lowepro Flipside 300 since 2012 and have logged thousands of miles in international trips (ie. you take it with you everywhere you go, no car trunks or safe hotel rooms).

I love this pack. Two downsides...

It will not take anything but a small tablet. More in a moment.

The chest strap tends to come off. Lowepro replaced one and I sew the 'exits' closed so the new one doesn't fly away.

I am preparing for the trip of a lifetime, so I got a 15" laptop. Not exactly small but the smallest one my ageing eyes can see comfortably. It will serve well in downloading and backing up my daily haul of photos. Nope the Flipside is not coming along for this ride...

I got a Case Logic Kilowatt which can carry the 60D and 5D3 bodies, the EF 24-70, EF 70-200, the EF 50 f1.8 and the 2x extender. Also the laptop. Comfortable with the hefty hip belt.

The total is 21.8 lbs. There is more room but I will run afoul of the carry on weight limitations!

The wife carries the EFS 18-200 if she wants to shoot the 60D...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2010
Chicago
Feb 06, 2018 13:10 |  #32

MakisM1 wrote in post #18557764 (external link)
If you are going to carry a dSLR body with two decent lenses, you WILL NEED a backpack with a real belt strap and a chest strap as you grow older.

I tend to go back and forth on this. Most of the time when I am hiking ( Not crazy long hikes ) I am holding my camera so my bag is generally pretty light so I prefer a shoulder bag so I can easily swap a lens or get a filter etc. I find ultimately it's better to simply not carry a ton of gear. ( usually just an extra lens, filters, gorilla pod ) but occasional I like to shoot with 2 bodies and that's when I opt for a backpack. I still prefer the Fstop Kenti for this set up. 5d2-16-35 and 7d2 400-100.

I do agree the waist belt strap is key to a comfortable backpack. I may try a TT change up again, I had one a long time ago and while I felt like a dork it was probably the best system for me along with a digital holster.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

cristphoto
844 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Feb 09, 2018 09:18 |  #33

I have both shoulder bags and back packs (plus single and double lens bags). All serve their purposes depending how I'm going to shoot for the day. With my shoulder bags I simply adjust the strap out (typically to the longest available) and wear the strap across my shoulder ala bandalero style. This keeps it from slipping and I can still access lenses without removing. The backpack is simply used to carry all contingencies of equipment that might be needed for the day. If I'm on a quicker shoot I may bring just the lens bag to carry a second (or third if I'm wearing two bodies) lens. Bottom line is different equipment to meet the various needs.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

7,221 views & 15 likes for this thread
I want a backpack, but shoulder bags are so much better....?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.