Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 20 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 23:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best food for Golden Retriever?

maysheers
25 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Jan 20, 2016 23:55 |  #1

Hi Everyone!

I figured this is a page for all Pet lovers so I might as well ask for your suggestions.

I have a 19 week old male Golden Retriever puppy. He is lean and healthy. Our vet advised to switch him on an off of Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food and Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Food.

I would like to know if any knowledgeable members agree with this or would suggest another food for him. I am currently checking on this list http://www.happypetsno​w.com ...od-for-golden-retrievers/ (external link) what do you think? Are these the right choices? I am looking for the best way to keep him healthy and active for as many years as possible. This can be tricky for Golden Retrievers.

Any knowledgeable help given is much appreciated! Thank you!

sponsored links
Dave ­ R.
275 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Pacific Northwest
Jan 28, 2016 08:09 |  #2

We have a Golden / Doodle (25%) Golden Retriever that has turned out to be a rather picky eater ( the poodle side of her ). We finally have settled on Whole Earth Farms brand kibble mixed with their grain free canned stews. Bella has grown to like it so well that she now has a certain yelp or whine she makes when she is hungry. Fix up a bowl of that and stand back. This food has been wonderful in that her coat is great and her weight is under control. Lots of energy and is just one happy diggity dog. All of that being said some breeds such as ours has a reputation for being picky so if you try this and it doesn't get you where you want to be keep experimenting. One thing to consider is using grain free foods if possible. Research has proven it is better for the animal. Good luck

maysheers
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Feb 03, 2016 22:05 |  #3

Thank you for your advise. I'll definitely try your suggestion and will keep experimenting if needed. You are right, some are picky and that's why I always do research and ask in forums like this for tips.

vwjoe76
Joined Nov 2006
Wawona, CA
Feb 04, 2016 20:58 |  #4

Hello! Wasn't expecting to see this topic, but happy to chime in. We have a 1 1/2 year old Belgian Malinois female that we feed Wellness Core which is expensive, but I think well worth it. We get it delivered from chewy.com (where's my ad dollars Chewy?? :lol:). It's worth looking into I think.

I have never been a big fan of Eukanuba and Pro Plan. Those are two foods that vets often sponsor and is probably why your vet recommends it. The ingredients, especially the 1st four or five, should be a lot of whole foods and little, if any, grains. Wellness is a grain free food. There is a site called dogfoodadvisor.com that has reviews of many different foods. It's just their opinion, but it's decent info. Hope this helps!

5D II | 16-35 f4L IS | 50 1.8 STM

HWolf
Joined Oct 2014
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by HWolf.
Feb 05, 2016 11:10 |  #5

Removed

centrarchidae
Joined Jan 2011
Denver-ish, Boulder-ish, sometimes South Park-ish, Colorado
Mar 30, 2016 15:33 |  #6

I keep my Precious Blonde Bonehead on one of the limited-ingredient Natural Balance kibbles. Venison and sweet potato, I think it is.

She's allergic to basically everything, so we try to limit just what she eats. The allergies showed up as just chronic itching, and the skin test revealed allergic reactions to dandelions, grass, chicken, people, and I don't even remember what else.

The problem is, her puppy brother is prone to abdominal pain that our vet thinks might be pancreatitis, so we have to keep Knucklehead on a low-fat diet. And neither dog is particularly food-aggressive, so they'll eat out of each others' dishes all the time.

It must be working. Check out these whirlwinds of activity!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Any time you start thinking that you're a big shot, try giving commands to someone else's dog.
Direct and blunt C&C wanted, please.

limping_decorum
92 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by limping_decorum.
Apr 01, 2016 16:04 |  #7

vwjoe76 wrote in post #17886398 (external link)
I have never been a big fan of Eukanuba and Pro Plan. Those are two foods that vets often sponsor and is probably why your vet recommends it.

whatever dog food rep buys the clinic lunch....

my first dog was a beagle mix that lived for 16 years off kibbles & bits...

not drowning...just waving.

Mark_ms
124 posts
Joined May 2013
NY, Vermont Border
Apr 03, 2016 14:45 |  #8

I have always used Purina Beneful healthy weight for my last 3 labs one chocolate and 2 black.
The last 2 (1 choc. 1 black) lived to be 17 and 16 with relativly no major health issues. My current lab is 12 and still very active can still jump in my truck for rides unassisted. Interestingly enough she has never topped out over 50 lbs and maintains about 45. She was not the runt of the litter but one of 10. Smallest full grown Lab I have ever seen and my vet agrees

Gear: yeah I have some...

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,049 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Apr 03, 2016 15:25 |  #9

http://www.merrickpetc​are.com/dogs/grain-free (external link)
The best IMHO. Read the ingredients.

farmer1957
Joined Jul 2012
nevada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by farmer1957.
Apr 05, 2016 00:00 |  #10

I make my own dog food.
Allot of it out of turkey and chicken.
every first of the year when turkey goes on sale for .50 ct per pound I fill my freezer.

about 30 turkey's

I will cook the turkey then mix the meat with green bean carrots rice or potatoes.

I feed my dogs about 24 oz of food per day .

IMAGE: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/mortuarymike/fisheye%204_zpshl6mxekl.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://s1110.photobuck​et.com ...%204_zpshl6mxekl.jp​g.html] (external link)

sponsored links

2,645 views & 3 likes for this thread
Best food for Golden Retriever?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.