Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 27 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 15:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hearing protection

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 27, 2016 15:10 |  #1

have owned some Etymotic (external link) plugs but lost them, just bought some from Ear Peace (external link). Etymotic were recommended by a friend, Ear Piece just came across my Facebook feed so I thought i'd give them a try. Bought the HD version, the attenuation looks pretty good across different frequencies and being able to choose the level of protection is nice.

anyone have a favorite?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Jan 28, 2016 01:36 |  #2

I like my Surefire EP-3 and EP-6
They are comfortable, easy to fit and reusable.
With the stoppers in they are as quiet as good foamies - without the stoppers i can have a conversation without yelling

I keep a few pairs of cheap foamies in my camera bags too

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,518 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Apr 05, 2016 17:37 |  #3

Personally I find the Etymotics, Surefires and Ear Peace products to be very comparable, Note you have to put the filters in the Surefires to get good protection when right up against the speakers like I find myself a lot in concert shooting situations. If you want to step it up above this kind of product expect to pay $300+.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Flickr (external link)| Gear List --------------

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Jun 11, 2016 23:49 |  #4

ive had the option for custom fit (i shoot guns competitively and most times vendors at big matches) but for better protection and the fact i get them for free, i just use foam disposables. usually the tapered "max" brand. the straight cylinder style arent nearly as comfortable...

have a dozen or so pair in my bag but usually grab another pair from the car before heading to the venue so those in the bag are "spares"...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jun 12, 2016 07:00 |  #5

I'm liking the Ear Peace HD. The fact that they come with 3 plugs per set and that you can change the attenuation in each plug makes a big difference for me. I keep one of the strong filters in the extra plug and will use that on the speaker side if I am shooting from that position.

I rarely go to shows that are just super crazy loud so the fact that the sound with these is very clear and evenly reduced is their best feature compared to the Etymotic set that I had previously owned. Not that they were bad, but the Ear Peace seems to be better at delivering quality sound.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,593 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jun 13, 2016 21:40 |  #6

Interesting thread. Wifey talked me into going to a Moody Blues concert this coming November. I normally avoid concerts because I already have a hearing loss and severe tinnitus. Loud music will only make it worse. I figured I'd have to wear earplugs, which sort of defeats the purpose. But she wants to see them, so we'll go. I regularly wear either the yellow foam cylindrical plugs or tapered foam plugs, but some of these higher grade plugs look like they may offer some protection at the concert and still allow me to hear the fine points of the music.

I also have the problem with hearing conversations of even someone right in front of me if I'm in a room full of people. Has anyone here tried the Bean earplugs (or personal amplifiers)? They're certainly a lot cheaper than dedicated hearing aids, which I don't quite need yet.

Mark J.
Gear

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Jun 30, 2016 22:04 |  #7

M_Six wrote in post #18038629 (external link)
Interesting thread. Wifey talked me into going to a Moody Blues concert this coming November. I normally avoid concerts because I already have a hearing loss and severe tinnitus. Loud music will only make it worse. I figured I'd have to wear earplugs, which sort of defeats the purpose. But she wants to see them, so we'll go. I regularly wear either the yellow foam cylindrical plugs or tapered foam plugs, but some of these higher grade plugs look like they may offer some protection at the concert and still allow me to hear the fine points of the music.

I also have the problem with hearing conversations of even someone right in front of me if I'm in a room full of people. Has anyone here tried the Bean earplugs (or personal amplifiers)? They're certainly a lot cheaper than dedicated hearing aids, which I don't quite need yet.

I haven't used the Bean ones but I've used Etymotic's electronic music-pro plugs which are very cool. There are 2 modes and one amplifies when it's quiet.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooterexternal linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooterexternal link

sponsored links

6,118 views & 1 like for this thread
Hearing protection
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.